Page 3 of 108 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

how do you know your undervolting isn't resulting in instability?

Do you fully stress test the cpu for 12 hours after undervolting?

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by onjax View Post
    Read my first post pls, I mentioned Liquid Metal was my first idea, didn't help. Asus uses good paste.
    My bad. Somehow I missed it.*
    It's good to know Asus uses good paste and installs it properly that even LM doesn't improve on it.*
    I can't say the Dell Inspiron 7566 I had is the same. It reached 99-100C with i5 6300HQ and 960M.
    I will do some tests once my GL502VS arrives. *

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by link626 View Post
    how do you know your undervolting isn't resulting in instability?

Do you fully stress test the cpu for 12 hours after undervolting?
    Stress tests, yes, but games mostly. But as I see, GTA 5 is a better stress test, and you don't need to leave PC alone to run it.
    But of course, the choice is up to people. If someone is happy with stock cooling - fine.
    For myself, I dont see any other alternative for this light and thin notebook, and I decided to make it work full power, without scaling back due to heat. And I achieved it without any instability issues.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by peggy View Post
    My bad. Somehow I missed it.*
    It's good to know Asus uses good paste and installs it properly that even LM doesn't improve on it.*
    I can't say the Dell Inspiron 7566 I had is the same. It reached 99-100C with i5 6300HQ and 960M.
    I will do some tests once my GL502VS arrives. *
    My previous notebook was Acer 7750G with top GPU at the time, switching to liquid metal gave around 15 degree gain, so it's manufacturer-dependand thing of course. Asus makes here a right choice, as I see.

ROG Member Array

I haven't got my gl702vm yet and been looking for temps at the web but havent got any until i read this thread.
    Was not sure if i would like the temps on this thin notebook. But if it's this easy to undervolt it's not gonna be a problem. Actually looking forward to getting it so i cant get going

Thumbs up for this guide. Will be fun

ROG Enthusiast Array

I'm not a fan of changing voltages and stuff, especially on laptops where power is so crucial, and sometimes not as plentiful as on desktops. My 702 CPU package hovers around 60°c, and the GPU is at 70°. It seems to be just an inefficient method of cooling, so I'm going to try to adjust the way the air flows, maybe add additional head spreaders. I'll let you know my findings.

ROG Enthusiast Array

thx

Quote Originally Posted by onjax View Post
    My previous notebook was Acer 7750G with top GPU at the time, switching to liquid metal gave around 15 degree gain, so it's manufacturer-dependand thing of course. Asus makes here a right choice, as I see.
    I have a GL502VS , CPU temps were hot as hell, hitting 97 and sometimes 99 C.

I did -0.150 offsted on the CPU, and it seems that the temp got lower, max was 87 after 30m with AIDA test.

I have no problem with the gpu, max temp was around 76-78 C in benchmarks, when playing games it stays under 69-72 C.

I wish i could do something more for the CPU ( going to get a cooling pad but i heard they only lower the temp by 2-3C ).

Anyway with gsync capped at 60FPS games run very smooth, and the cpu does not even reach 80 C in games - played BF1 and some other games ( Day By Daylight, Osiris New Dawn, and some other minor stuff) - i'll reply with updates with more heavy games , Watch Dogs 2, GTA 5, Withcer 3, Doom and Rise of Tomb Raider.

PS: Important detail, the CPU used to throttle before, now with -0.15 offset there's no throttle

Thx for the guide )

ROG Member Array

quick question

Hi there,
    first off: thanks for the guide. I was a bit worried about the higher temperatures when playing games or running other demanding programs and was already thinking about returning my gl702vm. After reading your guide and tweaking with the settings a bit, I feel more confident in being able to handle those problems.

Anyways. I downloaded your profiles and they all show up in MSI Afterburner. Once I hit "apply" though, when pressing CTRL+F again, the curve is the same but with one change: the points (and the curve) seems to be 100mHZ lower than originally.
    This applies to each of the possibly selected profiles.

Why is this happening and am I doing anything wrong? ^^

Also I did some testing yesterday with -100 CPU Voltage Offset and the 2nd or 3rd of your MSI Afterburner Profiles.
    When I played Overwatch on "Epic" Settings the temperature would rise up to ~85°C and then suddenly everything would freeze for like 1 minute and then I'd get a message like "rendering device could not be found". This seems to be coming from the graphics card getting disabled within the device manager for a short moment.
    Might this have anything to do with the settings or is it another problem which should make me return the Notebook? :/

Thanks in advance.

ROG Member Array

I've finally got my Asus. Now even before i started a game i undervolted my GPU with the profiles onjax linked.

Just to be sure. I downloaded the profile, put the file in profiles in MSiafterburner. Then restarted Msi Afterburner and pressed number 1 and save and apply. Now while im idle just checking the internet im at 60C. Is this how it should be? Havent got the time to check in a game but will do it tomorrow.

New ROGer Array

Will the performance be the same after doing this?
    Why would they put more voltage than it needs?

Page 3 of 108 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast