Page 4 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 104 ... LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by joaocarlosr View Post
    Will the performance be the same after doing this?
    Why would they put more voltage than it needs?

Yes the performance will still be the same.

ROG Enthusiast Array

added coil whine solution

New ROGer Array

I thought I would share my experience with this laptop - which unfortunately I will be returning. I got the one with the 1060.

So when I first got the laptop I immediately replaced the 1 tb hd with an SSD i had laying around.

Then I got to some gaming w/MSI Afterburner running so I could monitor the system and performance. Mind you this is with the laptop sitting on a table, in a room at 68 degrees F.
    Immediately the GPU temperature rose to 86C, and stayed there. In MSI Afterburner, I could see it was hitting the temp limit constantly which resulted in the GPU throttling the clock speed all the way down to the 1300s mhz range sometimes dipping to 1200s. This is below the BASE clock of 1405mhz, let alone the boost clock.

So clearly ASUS set the firmware to limit the GPU temp at 86C, but if this wasn't the case the laptop would clearly heat up way past this. CPU temps (after undervolting -.015) were around 77C - 82C.

Ok so this is BS right - so I buy a laptop cooling pad and see how that helps if at all. Turns out it definitely helps a bit, but the GPU still rises to the temp limit of 86C, the only difference being it takes longer to get there. Once it hits the limit though, it does maintain a higher overall clock speed than without the cooler - around 1400 mhz - but still dips below this frequently into the 1300s. Nope not good enough.

My conclusion is this laptop simply doesn't have sufficient cooling capability for this hardware configuration. Maybe that is just a symptom of the relatively thin chassis - but to that I say if you can't properly cool the hardware, don't put it in this chassis and act like it will run at specified speeds - it won't.

In my opinion, I would highly recommend not buying this laptop. If you can deal with something much thicker/heavier than go with that as maybe those can deal with the heat better (alienware, acer ect). But if you are like me and you don't want a huge brick, and you actually expect the components to perform at spec, then it looks like we'll have to wait.

ROG Member Array

Yep decided to return mine too. I've done Onjax undervolting and it sure does lower the temps a little. But clearly not enough.

Im at 93c in BF4 at high at everything. I borrowed my friends cooling pad which lower the temps a little. But still i see the mhz dips which is not OK at all.

Decided to return this. I've been an Asus fan for many years now and will now look at other options. I'm very disappointed at Asus delivering this. It should have been obvious this wasnt going to look good in public with an notebook not capable to deliver .

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

I don't think there are many other options, unless you can do without thunderbolt 3.

MSI makes somewhat thicker laptops with the 1060, and may have better cooling.

alienware is heavy, but has good cooling.

The biggest problem is the design of these laptops that have the screen lid blocking the exhaust vents. Other laptops with side vents and rear vents unblocked have better cooling.

Same problem with the Razer laptops ... the lid blocks the exhaust, and there's throttling.

"form over function" is really hurting these laptops.

ROG Enthusiast Array

@onjax hi!
    I try to do undervolt GPU with Afterburner and Profile #1
    It's not going wrong, no crashes and so on. But also i dont's see much effect. As i can see my temp on GPU decrease about 3-4 degrees. Not 20-30%.

It stays on 82-83 degrees against 86-87 before.

So, may be i did it wrong?
    Also i wonder is 82-83 ok for long term work for GPU?
    Btw, i use cooling pad for laptop for better airflow.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by plumicla View Post
    @onjax hi!
    I try to do undervolt GPU with Afterburner and Profile #1
    It's not going wrong, no crashes and so on. But also i dont's see much effect. As i can see my temp on GPU decrease about 3-4 degrees. Not 20-30%.

It stays on 82-83 degrees against 86-87 before.

So, may be i did it wrong?
    Also i wonder is 82-83 ok for long term work for GPU?
    Btw, i use cooling pad for laptop for better airflow.
    Hi, you have to check the frequency of the GPU before and after UV to understand the whole picture. Without UV, it throttles back to ~1200-1300MHz when temp rises, to keep temperature within limit. Running at 1200-1300 also drop backs voltage. With UV applied, it can go up to 1860 MHz turbo, but also requires more voltage.
    Second reason is that fans are running at lower speeds due to less heat.
    UV from 1050mV to 825mV will cut around 30% of heat, as it's square relative, not linear.
    Other possible reason, is that UV doesn't work (check that in Afterburner graph "GPU Voltage").

Mine has 78-80 degrees under highest load, without cooling pad and fans don't even run loudly, which I am happy with.
    Last edited by onjax; 01-06-2017 at 09:34 PM.

New ROGer Array

I also follow this thread but for me it dont move nothing in the temperature...

Maybe i m doing something wrong.

I m testing with Overwatch into Epic Settings. 86ºC.

New ROGer Array

I think my graphics card is not following msi afterburn instructions...

Link

New ROGer Array

finally i m managing the situation..

it is possible to change the voltage in the curve editor for values under 800mv? the graphic dont allow me.

My idea is to push the GPU to force it into 1500/1600mhz so low temperatures and no throttling... let me know if it can be done.

thanks

Page 4 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 104 ... LastLast