Page 40 of 111 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 50 90 ... LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by plumicla View Post
    Wow, so many people drilled their bottoms
    I guess, i'm doing wrong things, but today i made some tuning for my back
    Attachment 65167

I like it. Make it "cool" inside and out.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Kvwilliams View Post
    I don't see how you can still find the 'ventilation of the bottom of the laptop's case in adequate' as questionable. Even the thread creator stated this in his first post:

If removing the entire bottom of the laptop's case makes that big of an impact, the key is to modify the case to simulate the same free-flowing airflow as if it wasn't there but still be attached. Adding ventilation holes directly under the fans seems pretty logical. The only draw back is it doesn't look as pretty and can compromise structural rigidity. Thankfully the bottom case is quite thick and drilling the holes didn't have any noticeable effect. I can lift my laptop from a corner and it doesn't show any more flex than before I drilled holes. Maybe precise measuring instruments could detect more flex than before but it's not noticeable otherwise and won't impact practicability.
    Well, first, that was one "quote" about a 15-20 degree drop without a bottom. Temps will obviously be lower that way. But I'm not running my laptop without a bottom. Second, as I said, that is ONE comment on temps. I'm not going to search 30+ pages, but as far as I can tell, I have yet to read any comments on temps from people who drilled holes. NONE. It leads me to believe that it didn't yield any dramatic results.

BTW, I'm looking for results at stock settings. I'm not interested in all the hacks and tweaks to the CPU & GPU. Simple straight forward test with and without those drill holes.
    Last edited by MVP7001; 06-06-2017 at 04:04 AM.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by MVP7001 View Post
    Well, first, that was one "quote" about a 15-20 degree drop without a bottom. Temps will obviously be lower that way. But I'm not running my laptop without a bottom. Second, as I said, that is ONE comment on temps. I'm not going to search 30+ pages, but as far as I can tell, I have yet to read any comments on temps from people who drilled holes. NONE. It leads me to believe that it didn't yield any dramatic results.

BTW, I'm looking for results at stock settings. I'm not interested in all the hacks and tweaks to the CPU & GPU. Simple straight forward test with and without those drill holes.
    I think someone did post a test with and without drill holes, i forgot what page. it really made difference. Have you tried the latest bios update? it said that it would fix the heat issue.
    For GL702VM. Intel i7 6th Gen.
    https://www.asus.com/ph/Laptops/ROG-...Desk_Download/

I did post with and without holes in bottom, temps will decrease by around 8 degrees with cutting holes and with undervolting it decreases again with around 6 .
    On stock my CPU and GPU reach about 90 to mid 90's and now around 76 - 79 , i only drilled some holes and did undervolt with -0,140mv.

These are all maximum temperatures and playing BF1 on Ultra settings, average temperatures are like 4 degrees lower than 76-79, so yes i am certain extra holes for the fans are really needed to run cooler and your laptop will have a longer and happy life

Now have some mesh to keep dust out of the fans, holes are a little too big on the left unfortunately.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170425_124534_01.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	232.8 KB 
ID:	65171
    Last edited by TimS85; 06-06-2017 at 05:32 PM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array StarJack's Avatar

It is obvious the cases suffer from lack of airflow. The fact that you don't want to sift through the thread to find the information yourself would make it appear you really don't give a toss. Denying others have found success in case modding and being a capslock warrior doesn't contribute.

-StarJack

Quote Originally Posted by PredatoR_TR View Post
    Thanks for the answer.

Yes I have the KABY LAKE version but black (In Europe no Titanium unfortunately). Now I got it why there was one more unit as GL702VMK

Still When I downloaded v300, it gives the same error. Does the BIOS file need to be in USB stick or anywhere in the computer?
    Sorry for the late reply. How I installed it was through a USB drive. Make sure the file is extracted from the zip. Not sure if it is necessary to extract, but I kept the zip and extracted file on the same flash drive, so if one did not work I chose the other. I just forgot which one I used lol

ROG Enthusiast Array

So, until the recent bios update i was using my laptop with -140 mV uv on CPU, onjax profile 3 on the gpu and turbo boosting disabled. This trio definitely eliminated all my complaints about throttling.

A week ago i finally got to update my bios. After the new bios every now on then i would get a BSOD, apparently because of undverolting the cpu. It stayed the same -140mV, as before the update, but now it would crash randomly sometimes (which never occured in the past 2-3 months).

This got me to thinking that asus maybe planted a slight voltage offset of the cpu so that it won't heat that much. What do you think? Is it possible that they tweaked the stock voltages?

Anyway, this made me very curious, as well as the previous comments here, so i tried my laptop with full stock settings with the new update. No uv at all and with turbo boosting. And the results shocked me. The previous stuttering and fps drops were completely gone. I was able to play games on really high settings without any tweaking.

The temps with every tweak mentioned above hovered around 80 degrees for me and now full stock with this bios update it sits around 86 on the cpu and gpu, sometimes 90 (but never above) on the cpu.

These tweaks undoubtedly make a difference in the thermal department, but are they really worth it? I mean, is there that much of a difference that justifies tweaking voltages, clockspeed policies, etc, (which may or may not effect the life of your hardware in the long run)? Is it better to leave it just stock, as asus and it's engineers intended it to be?

Before the update i would tweak my system, too. It was unusable for long sessions of gaming. But now, i think i will just leave it stock.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by StarJack View Post
    It is obvious the cases suffer from lack of airflow. The fact that you don't want to sift through the thread to find the information yourself would make it appear you really don't give a toss. Denying others have found success in case modding and being a capslock warrior doesn't contribute.

-StarJack
    To be clear, I did read this whole entire thread, at one point. I'm just not doing it again. It was when I first "googled" the heat issues and stumbled onto this thread. After reading the WHOLE thread, I wasn't particularly happy with having to do all these hacks/tweaks just for smooth game play. Then, I stumbled elsewhere, maybe here, where putting your max CPU to 99% in the power settings disabled turbo. PROBLEM SOLVED. I had smooth gaming. But, still wasn't happy that I had to loose CPU performance. So... I continued reading/keeping up to date with this thread. Then, people started drilling holes. Then this post really started to get interesting to me.

After its all said and done, I KNOW the bottom could be better. All I wanted to know was it worth messing up the look/aesthetics of the bottom. Me personally, I would opt for the angled lines right under the fans so it looks like the other vents. But excuse me for wanting people who drilled holes to post their results before I went and destroyed mine.

Thanks to those who DID post temp results and who also shared their modded bottom pics. I think I will eventually drill holes myself. I need to buy a Dremel now, which is another reason I wanted test data. Was it worth me spending money to buy tools? I think its ridiculous that we have had to go to these extremes for a cool running laptop. I mean what are they testing these things with? Pac-man & Donkey Kong?

But please, to those who drilled holes, keep those before and after temps coming. The more I see & hear, the more I'll start looking for tools to drill mine. Thanks again!

-CAPSLOCK WARRIOR
    Last edited by MVP7001; 06-06-2017 at 10:35 PM.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by dwyt326 View Post
    I think someone did post a test with and without drill holes, i forgot what page. it really made difference. Have you tried the latest bios update? it said that it would fix the heat issue.
    For GL702VM. Intel i7 6th Gen.
    https://www.asus.com/ph/Laptops/ROG-...Desk_Download/
    Yes, I did update my bios as soon as it was released. But thanks for the link/suggestion. The new bios did help the throttling issue, but really doesn't help the heat problems. I'm still at ~89 CPU & ~86 GPU with heavy/big name games.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by pppttl View Post
    These tweaks undoubtedly make a difference in the thermal department, but are they really worth it? I mean, is there that much of a difference that justifies tweaking voltages, clockspeed policies, etc, (which may or may not effect the life of your hardware in the long run)? Is it better to leave it just stock, as asus and it's engineers intended it to be?

Before the update i would tweak my system, too. It was unusable for long sessions of gaming. But now, i think i will just leave it stock.
    That is the very point I was trying to make. Thank you!

Page 40 of 111 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 50 90 ... LastLast