Page 41 of 108 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 51 91 ... LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

There are some misconceptions causing worries about veering from 'what the engineers intended' that really isn't warranted.

Adjusting the power/clock-rate to your CPU/GPU is akin to car engine tuning in the Motorsport enthusiast industry. For vehicles, manufactures don't individually tune each car off the lot for every tiny manufacture variance so they set the marker at a grossly universally safe bet, one that would cover all the bases, even the unlikely extreme ones. For example, driving up a hill, full tilt, at max load capacity in the Sahara desert in 120f degree ambient temperature. Subsequently, all cars engines off the assembly line are tuned "pig-rich" and the A/F ratio usually can be tuned much leaner than they are set, providing better performance and fuel economy. Just like overclocking or under-volting a CPU/GPU, if the engine or processor starts to show signs of being taken to far (under heavy stress: pinging for engines, crashing for processors), you back off a little. Everyone's line where that point is, is slightly different.

However under-volting a processor is far far safer than playing with an engine's tune. The processor manufacture IS essentially over-volting (running pig-rich) to account for the natural variances found within a processor, within a given bin. An end-user achieving stability with less voltage and reducing temperatures will only prolong your CPU/GPU longevity. The process of finding that line is time consuming and a bit of a PITA so it's completely understandable that the majority of users won't bother and would rather the manufacture make their laptops with sufficient cooling at the "pig-rich" manufacture's processor power consumption.

Keep in mind that having the temperature throttling as a safe-guard will protect the CPU/GPU from burning out, but constantly staying near the absolute limit isn't healthy and is akin to bouncing off a car engine rev limiter. So regardless if your laptop at stock settings, un-modified case, doesn't temp throttle... allowing your CPU/GPU to run cooler, in general, be it by adding ventilation at the bottom of the case or under-volting (or both) can *only* be more beneficial. There really is no "if, ands, or buts" to that. Is it worth all the bother? For most people, it probably isn't. But if you're the type of person who goes to threads like this, then you're obviously curious about your options. Why not make your laptop run even better than stock and extend the life of your investment? Not to mention, the fans run at a lower RPM making your laptop quieter under load.

In fact, under-volting the CPU/GPU is the 'main suggestion' to another massive thread on this message board about the vampiric power drain on the battery while playing games (especially VR). The issue is that the laptop consumes more power than the 180w power supply can deliver causing the battery to slowly drain to the point that the laptop goes in to 'charge back up mode' and severely throttles the performance of the CPU/GPU to split power to both. Under-volting the CPU and GPU significantly lessens that vampiric drain... for many enough to make it no longer an issue: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...hile-in-charge

More on undervolting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBNP5I2y668
    Last edited by Kvwilliams; 06-07-2017 at 04:07 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Kvwilliams View Post
    There are some misconceptions causing worries about veering from 'what the engineers intended' that really isn't warranted.

Adjusting the power/clock-rate to your CPU/GPU is akin to car engine tuning in the Motorsport enthusiast industry. For vehicles, manufactures don't individually tune each car off the lot for every tiny manufacture variance so they set the marker at a grossly universally safe bet, one that would cover all the bases, even the unlikely extreme ones. For example, driving up a hill, full tilt, at max load capacity in the Sahara desert in 120f degree ambient temperature. Subsequently, all cars engines off the assembly line are tuned "pig-rich" and the A/F ratio usually can be tuned much leaner than they are set, providing better performance and fuel economy. Just like overclocking or under-volting a CPU/GPU, if the engine or processor starts to show signs of being taken to far (under heavy stress: pinging for engines, crashing for processors), you back off a little. Everyone's line where that point is, is slightly different.

However under-volting a processor is far far safer than playing with an engine's tune. The processor manufacture IS essentially over-volting (running pig-rich) to account for the natural variances found within a processor, within a given bin. An end-user achieving stability with less voltage and reducing temperatures will only prolong your CPU/GPU longevity. The process of finding that line is time consuming and a bit of a PITA so it's completely understandable that the majority of users won't bother and would rather the manufacture make their laptops with sufficient cooling at the "pig-rich" manufacture's processor power consumption.

Keep in mind that having the temperature throttling as a safe-guard will protect the CPU/GPU from burning out, but constantly staying near the absolute limit isn't healthy and is akin to bouncing off a car engine rev limiter. So regardless if your laptop at stock settings, un-modified case, doesn't temp throttle... allowing your CPU/GPU to run cooler, in general, be it by adding ventilation at the bottom of the case or under-volting (or both) can *only* be more beneficial. There really is no "if, ands, or buts" to that. Is it worth all the bother? For most people, it probably isn't. But if you're the type of person who goes to threads like this, then you're obviously curious about your options. Why not make your laptop run even better than stock and extend the life of your investment? Not to mention, the fans run at a lower RPM making your laptop quieter under load.

In fact, under-volting the CPU/GPU is the 'main suggestion' to another massive thread on this message board about the vampiric power drain on the battery while playing games (especially VR). The issue is that the laptop consumes more power than the 180w power supply can deliver causing the battery to slowly drain to the point that the laptop goes in to 'charge back up mode' and severely throttles the performance of the CPU/GPU to split power to both. Under-volting the CPU and GPU significantly lessens that vampiric drain... for many enough to make it no longer an issue: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...hile-in-charge

More on undervolting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBNP5I2y668

You have a point. After reading this post the enthusiastic in me is leaning back towards undervolting, too. Thanks for giving me an insight.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by pppttl View Post
    You have a point. After reading this post the enthusiastic in me is leaning back towards undervolting, too. Thanks for giving me an insight.
    Cheers mate!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beer-bar-cheers-640x422.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	65180

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by dwyt326 View Post
    I think someone did post a test with and without drill holes, i forgot what page. it really made difference. Have you tried the latest bios update? it said that it would fix the heat issue.
    For GL702VM. Intel i7 6th Gen.
    https://www.asus.com/ph/Laptops/ROG-...Desk_Download/
    This is great i had no idea theres an update, how do i install the file tho?

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by EpicMomo View Post
    This is great i had no idea theres an update, how do i install the file tho?
    LINK

1. Download Windows BIOS Flash Utility from the bios utilities
    2. Download the latest BIOS 305 from the bios menu
    3. Install the winflash utility and do what it says

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by pppttl View Post
    LINK

1. Download Windows BIOS Flash Utility from the bios utilities
    2. Download the latest BIOS 305 from the bios menu
    3. Install the winflash utility and do what it says
    Somehow I can't update my BIOS. I have 7th generation model. My current BIOS is 202 and I want to update it to 300. Winflash can't find BIOS file.

Can someone clarify me if BIOS file should be in a USB disk to be found? (I tried but no luck.) I do not know if it can be about the file type because it seems the file extension is kinda .300

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by PredatoR_TR View Post
    Somehow I can't update my BIOS. I have 7th generation model. My current BIOS is 202 and I want to update it to 300. Winflash can't find BIOS file.

Can someone clarify me if BIOS file should be in a USB disk to be found? (I tried but no luck.) I do not know if it can be about the file type because it seems the file extension is kinda .300
    I don't think that it's necessary for the file to be on a usb disk. Just place it on the desktop and try again. It worked flawlessly for me

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array StarJack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PredatoR_TR View Post

Download BIOS 300. If the file is compressed, extract it to a thumbdrive. Hold shift and power down your laptop. While it is off, hold F2 and power it on to get into BIOS settings. Go into your EZ flash utility within the BIOS and choose your file on your thumbdrive to update your BIOS.

That's pretty much it.

-StarJack

Thank you very much for the guide, I followed it and I noticed a change in the sound of the fans and the temperature, which program recommend to monitor the temperatures of the cpu and gpu?

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by StarJack View Post
    Download BIOS 300. If the file is compressed, extract it to a thumbdrive. Hold shift and power down your laptop. While it is off, hold F2 and power it on to get into BIOS settings. Go into your EZ flash utility within the BIOS and choose your file on your thumbdrive to update your BIOS.

That's pretty much it.

-StarJack

Hi

Thanks for showing the other way. I will hopefully try that on Friday evening when I will be back and let you know the result.

Lastly, I think there is no way to keep ROG Gaming Center working with AVAST atm, isn't it?

Page 41 of 108 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 51 91 ... LastLast