Page 48 of 108 FirstFirst ... 38 46 47 48 49 50 58 98 ... LastLast
    New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by adeptius View Post
    Guys, do you know why my notebook fan control doesn't work?
    temp -2145135434 by Celsius
    I have a similar issue where it would show as 0% no matter if I chose a speed or auto but the fans would still work normally, speed up when it gets hot and slow down when the laptop cooled down and the 3rd fan would still work as configured in the profile. I know because the 3rd fan would not turn on at all for me and using NBFC fixed this.

Dont know what causes it, just make sure the fans speed up and down normally and you should be good.

Guys, do you know why my notebook fan control doesn't work?
    temp -2145135434 by Celsius
    I have a similar issue where it wou
    I dot know why, but some time later it works)
    but i still using standart cooling cause it more smooth.

ROG Member Array

Off Topic - Putting Vinyl Skins for Protection. ;)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170623_172401.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	415.7 KB 
ID:	65571

Name:	20170623_172807.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	312.0 KB 
ID:	65572

Name:	20170626_101109.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	246.8 KB 
ID:	65573

Took me several days to apply it because of my work and the pre-cuts aren't perfect and some covers the logo and words so i have to cut them myself but it was fun.
    until now not yet done, i still have to work on the keyboards, bad artistic hands.

ROG Junior Member Array

Cool

Finally I could play decently with my laptop thanks to all of you (I have an Asus GL502VM, but I use the configurations of the GL702VM). I attached several screenshots to see if it is normal for the computer in idle to have these temperatures (With the notebook fan controll I always have fans at 12.5%). Also if someone could tell me why in hwinfo it marks me as USB version supported as 2.0, when the ports are 3.0.

I have not modified the bottom with the holes, maybe next week.

I forgot to comment, that with the notebook fan control, I can not activate the third fan. I can activate the 1st and the Gpu and I hear the noise, but this seems to do nothing. Could this be broken? Or is the profile of the notebook fan control for the GL702VM and why it does not work? I've updated the chipset drivers Chipset_D_Intel_Win10_64_VER2120164541. Could it be this or the fans controlled by the bios only?

Thanks
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos administrador.jpg  

Sin títulowerer.jpg  

Sin títulodfsfd.jpg  

sdfs.jpg  

intel.jpg  

Last edited by Lord_suso; 06-26-2017 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Add more information

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

So I've read through this entire thread and I'd like to ad my 2cents concerning my GL702VS Kaby Lake.

As the OP said, the biggest issue is the fans either not moving enough or having access to fresh air. For me, the absolute biggest difference so far has simply been turning up the fans. It seems Asus went a little too aggressive on the machine being quiet when gaming and relying on thermal throttling vs just keeping things cool.

Being a Kaby lake model, I have the advantage of being able to set a % increase in the ROG Gaming Center (currently at 30%). What's nice about this is its a set and forget option, the fans still work in auto mode but always 30% over the default. Combine that with a .100v CPU UV my CPU/GPU idle temps are 35c-40c with a fan RPM of around 2500 (haven't touched GPUv).

After running 3dMark's Firestrike Stress Test for 10minutes the CPU maxes out in the low 80c's, the GPU at 69C. the fans gets to about 4400rpm (of a possible 5300rpm)

GPU-Z shows the the GPU was easily holding 1650+Mhz with no sign of any throttling, Intel XTU confirms no CPU throttling. And I want to remind that this is with a boost of 30% to the fans, increase this to 40% or 50% and the numbers just get better and better (also note I haven't made any holes In the bottom yet either).

Yes the fans are a little louder than the default settings (hardly annoying and definitely still quieter than other gaming laptops), but this is a thin and light gaming laptop, it's normal the fans because audible when gaming. But I get full power from this machine and no where near any sort of throttle on either the CPU/GPU.

The next step is going to be drilling some sort of holes to further improve airflow, although I haven't yet decided on what style I going to make them.

conclusion,

Limiting the CPU to 99% is a total waist of time, a short-term band-aid at best and shouldn't be considered a fix.

Turning up the fans and improving airflow (drilling holes) should be the #1 priority.

Undervolting helps, but wont fix it on its own.

Happy Gaming!

EDIT** yeah I may have not tested properly. After a good 2-3 hour gaming session running PUBG, my CPU was back up in the 90c+ and Intel XTU even reported a couple throttle events. Even with the fans on MAX the CPU was still getting well over 90c.

So.. :-( back to 99% for now. I gotta drill my case sooner than later I suppose.
    Last edited by FastM; 06-26-2017 at 11:45 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by FastM View Post
    Limiting the CPU to 99% is a total waist of time, a short-term band-aid at best and shouldn't be considered a fix.

Turning up the fans and improving airflow (drilling holes) should be the #1 priority.

Undervolting helps, but wont fix it on its own.
    GL702VM here.

Disabling turbo isn't a waste of time, as it makes no difference regarding fps, but helps reducing temps quite significantly. Unfortunately this and uv are our only options on the skylake model other than modding the bottom cover (which voids warranty).

I also tried ramping all fans up to 100% using notebook fan control, and I can tell you that it barely makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by dwyt326 View Post

Name:	20170623_172401.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	415.7 KB 
ID:	65571

Name:	20170623_172807.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	312.0 KB 
ID:	65572

Name:	20170626_101109.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	246.8 KB 
ID:	65573

Took me several days to apply it because of my work and the pre-cuts aren't perfect and some covers the logo and words so i have to cut them myself but it was fun.
    until now not yet done, i still have to work on the keyboards, bad artistic hands.
    Wow that's looking good , was thinking about doing the carbon look also but only on the backside screen.
    How did you cut the stripes and logo , after sticking it on i guess ?

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_suso View Post
    I forgot to comment, that with the notebook fan control, I can not activate the third fan. I can activate the 1st and the Gpu and I hear the noise, but this seems to do nothing. Could this be broken? Or is the profile of the notebook fan control for the GL702VM and why it does not work? I've updated the chipset drivers Chipset_D_Intel_Win10_64_VER2120164541. Could it be this or the fans controlled by the bios only?

Thanks
    The GL502VM doesn't have a 3rd fan. They added the 3rd fan for the bigger GL702VM. Trust me, you're not missing much. The fan was such an afterthought that it hardly does anything (though Asus advertises it like it's some awesome thing, lol).

Oh and your idle temps look a little high (this depends heavily on your ambient temp of your room) but it's not really going to hurt anything. But just to make sure, open up task manager, sort by CPU percentage highest to lowest, and make sure you don't have something in the background that's pinging your cpu unnecessarily. When sitting completely idle, hands off the keyboard and mouse, it should hover around 0-2% on avg (see attached for example).

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	65593

P.S. It shows USB 2.0 supported for me as well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Try transferring a large single file from a usb 3.0 usb drive to your desktop and see if it holds up to usb 3.0 speeds. I would do it but I don't have any usb 3.0 devices.
    Last edited by Kvwilliams; 06-26-2017 at 10:18 PM.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by TimS85 View Post
    Wow that's looking good , was thinking about doing the carbon look also but only on the backside screen.
    How did you cut the stripes and logo , after sticking it on i guess ?
    Don't because it will scratch your laptop. The skin for backside it is already pre-cut.
    i bought the skin from here.
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...rds=gl702+skin
    Don't expect they pre-cut it perfectly but they only miss few mm.

These are the tools i used.

Name:	20170627_084936.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	292.4 KB 
ID:	65594

if you want to cut everything yourself. First you have to stencil with bond paper. Before stencil, rub it with fingers or flat part of your nail so that it will take shape and clearer result when stencil. if you have softer paper the better. Now the paper your stencil with is a template.

Name:	20170627_085714.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	242.9 KB 
ID:	65595

ROG Junior Member Array

Angry Bad performance?

Thanks Kvwilliams

Another question:

This laptop can´t handle Rise of Tomb Raider on Very High Settings? On high settings its ok, but on very high very low fps. I used vertical sync with double buffering and tripple and same.
    Geforce experience recommends me put it in very high.

Another game with problems its Borderlands 2. If i put Physx on medium or high, the fps goes down. On low, ok. I test on 1080p, but geforce experice recommends all on high and 4k resolution (DRS RESOLUTION).

I know that the PC is complicated, but a 1.500€ laptop and can´t handle a game from 2016 and of course borderlands from 2012?.

My laptop have a fresh install of windows 10 and last drivers from

http://ivanrf.com/ultimos-drivers-asus-para-windows-10/
    http://www.win-raid.com/t596f39-Inte...tem-Tools.html
    http://www.win-raid.com/t2f23-Intel-...-v-v-WHQL.html
    http://www.win-raid.com/t834f25-USB-...nd-modded.html
    http://www.win-raid.com/t895f42-Inte...INF-files.html

And of course, last nvidia drivers with fresh install, first unistalled with DDU.

Regards.

Page 48 of 108 FirstFirst ... 38 46 47 48 49 50 58 98 ... LastLast