Page 51 of 108 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 101 ... LastLast
    ROG Member Array

opolar lc06

Thanks StarJack, i was thinking that you had just about the same lid on yours than it is on mine, i just wanted to make sure, you were the one that won me over in the first place with opolar when i saw the perf you were getting with it.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Juicefulll View Post
    Well, how about you try to undervolt with 0.1 v oor 100mv. So set it to -0.100v (or -100mv).

I think this brings down some heat on the cpu and in turn, the heatpipe can cool off the gpu and cpu both more efficiently.
    Hi Juicefull.

First of all sorry for some error in last post. I meant to say that I already tried undervolting using different values ranging from -0.005 v to -0.150 v and still my laptop keeps crashing (blue screen) on me. Sometimes I would successfully run a full 10 to 15 minutes stress test using XTU or Prime95 with no errors using the range of values from -0.005 v to -0.150 v but after a while on idle laptop crashes (blue screen). I really don't understand why this is happening to me since it seems most of people with same model who tried this worked for them. Once again to illustrate, I have a GL502VM with a Skylake i7-6700HQ CPU running OS Windows 10 Home edition installed on a NVME PCIE SSD. The OS and drivers are up to date. I am using the latest Intel XTU.

Can someone please help me with solve my issue here.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array StarJack's Avatar

I think some chips can handle being undervolted to a degree and remain stable while others cause instability under these circumstances. I believe its what some folks refer to as the silicon lottery.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

ROG Member Array

So, I have a GL502VS. I opened up the machine today and repasted it with GELID extreme.

Both before and after has the same setup:\
    1) Both GPU and CPU are undervolted ( -160mv on the CPU using intel XTU - 0.800mv GPU at 1720Mhz)
    2) Device elevated using a thermal take cooling pad ( one big fan spinning in the middle )
    3) The empty spots between the fans and the heatsink are Taped with Kapton tape
    4) there are two vaccum air blowers on both the GPU and CPU ( just like the ones formerly used in this thread)

I can't test the ambient temp in the room because I have no such equipment, but it is easily above 30c.

Before repaste, playing Battlefield 1 and Overwatch the GPU would hit 82c and the CPUI would hit 91c.
    I also noticed, that whenever the GPU hits +80 the driver most of the time would crash shortly after, sometimes BSOD, and sometimes just the game crashes ( over watch and BF1). So before repasting I had to limit the FPS +to 90 to avoid any crashes.
    Maybe because of undervolting + high temps?

After Repaste:
    The FPS is NOT limited.
    Playing BF1 and Overwatch with the excat same setup.
    the GPU would hit 73c Maximum and ranges between 70-72 avg.
    The CPU would hit 71 Maximum and ranges between 68 - 70 avg.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Juicefulll View Post
    if after 2 years the laptop is still fine, ill start cutting holes. For now, i'd like my warranty.

Good to hear you had great gains in coolness with 2-5. Im really not interested in buying a notebook cooler for now. Maybe someone can sell me the product? How many degrees does it take off your processors? with vs without cooler? Also, how and for how much do you undervolt the gpu. Ive heard people say that it isnt worth it, you lose reletaively much fraps for the decrease in temp. Im very impressed to see you keep dem temps below 80. After undervolting the cpu im at around 85c 86c which already really feels bad, but much better than the 91c of before!
    I made some testing and found out that uv meant 1-3 fps difference compared to stock, so it's definitely worth it.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing113 View Post
    So, I have a GL502VS. I opened up the machine today and repasted it with GELID extreme.

Both before and after has the same setup:\
    1) Both GPU and CPU are undervolted ( -160mv on the CPU using intel XTU - 0.800mv GPU at 1720Mhz)
    2) Device elevated using a thermal take cooling pad ( one big fan spinning in the middle )
    3) The empty spots between the fans and the heatsink are Taped with Kapton tape
    4) there are two vaccum air blowers on both the GPU and CPU ( just like the ones formerly used in this thread)

I can't test the ambient temp in the room because I have no such equipment, but it is easily above 30c.

Before repaste, playing Battlefield 1 and Overwatch the GPU would hit 82c and the CPUI would hit 91c.
    I also noticed, that whenever the GPU hits +80 the driver most of the time would crash shortly after, sometimes BSOD, and sometimes just the game crashes ( over watch and BF1). So before repasting I had to limit the FPS +to 90 to avoid any crashes.
    Maybe because of undervolting + high temps?

After Repaste:
    The FPS is NOT limited.
    Playing BF1 and Overwatch with the excat same setup.
    the GPU would hit 73c Maximum and ranges between 70-72 avg.
    The CPU would hit 71 Maximum and ranges between 68 - 70 avg.
    Try disabling turbo. It helps a lot while not affecting gaming performance.

ROG Member Array

calle calle

Quote Originally Posted by pppttl View Post
    Try disabling turbo. It helps a lot while not affecting gaming performance.
    The ambient temp here is REALLY high. I had in mind to drill holes in hte back cover, but these temps are very acceptable with repasting and I will only consider it if ther results prove to be not as good in the long term ( 72 max for GPU) with Turbo ON ( I don't that there is any reason to turn it off now).

I also forgot to mention that turbo was OFF before repasting and it did hit +80c easily. The temp got lower noticeably -10c for GPU and CPU is a great gain.
    After opening up the machine there was a lousy appliance with barely any paste applied.

ROG Member Array

CPU undervotlage

I have noticed that the undervoltage i applied in IETU often goes back to 0. any ideas as to why it doesn't stick to the -100 milivolt i applied (i don't have any loss of performances or anything) ?

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array StarJack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tdeneve View Post
    I have noticed that the undervoltage i applied in IETU often goes back to 0. any ideas as to why it doesn't stick to the -100 milivolt i applied (i don't have any loss of performances or anything) ?
    It could be an indication of failure at that voltage. Try -0.090 and see if it ever zeros.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

ROG Member Array

CPU undervotlage

I am going to test it out and we will see, so far i just played an hour of star citizen it everything is fine.

Page 51 of 108 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 101 ... LastLast