CaseFractal Define R4
    Power SupplySeasonic 650W
    Keyboard Corsair K55
    Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
    Headset Plantronics Rig
    Mouse Pad Glteck XXL
    OS Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by StarJack View Post
    I've been testing on -0.180v since yesterday with no problems yet, but I'm sure something will give.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
    Damn that's a nice undervolt! If it holds you won the lottery! XD

I was running at -.150v but was experiencing some strange system hangs and the occasional bsod while playing Overwatch. Dialed it back to -.130 and haven't had the problem since. Eventually I will take the time to dial in exactly how far I can push it. I'm hoping I can push at least -.140 but we'll see.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array StarJack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bran187 View Post
    Damn that's a nice undervolt! If it holds you won the lottery! XD.
    I was running at -.150v but was experiencing some strange system hangs and the occasional bsod while playing Overwatch. Dialed it back to -.130 and haven't had the problem since. Eventually I will take the time to dial in exactly how far I can push it. I'm hoping I can push at least -.140 but we'll see.

It lasted a little over 32 hours and then during an extended XCOM 2 session, it shat the bed bigtime. Back to -0.150v.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Bran187 PC Specs
    Bran187 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)GL502VMK
    MotherboardMSI Z97 SLI Krait Edition
    Processori7 4790
    Memory (part number)16 GB GSkill DDR3
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 1070
    MonitorHP Pavilion 32q
    Storage #1120 GB SSD
    Storage #21TB HDD
    CPU CoolerCM 212
    CaseFractal Define R4
    Power SupplySeasonic 650W
    Keyboard Corsair K55
    Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
    Headset Plantronics Rig
    Mouse Pad Glteck XXL
    OS Windows 10

It lasted a little over 32 hours and then during an extended XCOM 2 session, it shat the bed bigtime. Back to -0.150v.
    Damn. Sorry I jinxed it. :P

ROG Enthusiast Array

Vents added on bottom | -.130 UV 6700HQ | Custom 1070 boost curve

Hey guys, providing screenshots with the following items completed.

1. Addition of square inch vent under each fan.... Check
    2. Undervolt CPU v.130.... Check
    3. Custom 1070 boost curve (doesn't downclock in gaming).... Check
    4. Custom fan speeds and curve, to prevent "Jet Mode".... Check
    5. NO EXTERNAL ASSISTANCE (No Opolar or lap cooler, etc.).... Check, Check and CHECK!
    6. Successful Run without throttling Furmark 20+ minutes.... Check

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13 minutes furmark.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	533.1 KB 
ID:	65973

Name:	20 minutes furmark.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	585.1 KB 
ID:	65974

Previously Furmark would throttle with CPU & GPU throttling thermal points... 88C GPU and 92 CPU. Not anymore

I can also play Witcher 3 with all options at max and DSR x4 + 100% smooth (GSYNC 60fps / fluctuates no lower than 59fps 'boost curve on 1070 hindered by voltage limitations') at 70-72 GPU & 69-73 CPU over a 1 hour and 20 minute session (Pretty but boring game IMO).

3dMark FireStrike score is only 13100 (meh), TimeSPY 4180 (t.t but meh).

ASUS, why no air intake for the fans? Seriously, this is a sleeper portable and you intentionally crippled this system. I am not blaming anyone as there was obviously reasoning. I just would like to know what that reasoning was.
    Last edited by somejoshdude; 07-13-2017 at 10:11 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by somejoshdude View Post
    Hey guys, providing screenshots with the following items completed.

1. Addition of square inch vent under each fan.... Check
    2. Undervolt CPU v.130.... Check
    3. Custom 1070 boost curve (doesn't downclock in gaming).... Check
    4. Custom fan speeds and curve, to prevent "Jet Mode".... Check
    5. NO EXTERNAL ASSISTANCE (No Opolar or lap cooler, etc.).... Check, Check and CHECK!
    6. Successful Run without throttling Furmark 20+ minutes.... Check

Name:	13 minutes furmark.jpg 
Size:	533.1 KB 
ID:	65973

Name:	20 minutes furmark.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	585.1 KB 
ID:	65974

Previously Furmark would throttle with CPU & GPU throttling thermal points... 88C GPU and 92 CPU. Not anymore

I can also play Witcher 3 with all options at max and DSR x4 + 100% smooth (GSYNC 60fps / fluctuates no lower than 59fps 'boost curve on 1070 hindered by voltage limitations') at 70-72 GPU & 69-73 CPU over a 1 hour and 20 minute session (Pretty but boring game IMO).

3dMark FireStrike score is only 13100 (meh), TimeSPY 4180 (t.t but meh).

ASUS, why no air intake for the fans? Seriously, this is a sleeper portable and you intentionally crippled this system. I am not blaming anyone as there was obviously reasoning. I just would like to know what that reasoning was.
    just curious, what's a sleeper portable?

ROG Enthusiast Array

Sleeper portable was me not being coherent

just curious, what's a sleeper portable?

Apologies, mixing cartalk. XD. (Sleeper is a system you wouldn't expect to do well. In this case, the laptop would throttle performance based on it's size and thermal profile.)

I was attempting to describe, that when this was released, it would have been the most potent portable at it's price bracket if they hadn't restricted airflow to the fans. It would have been the go to for its price range instead of being out-shined by most of the competition.

When I purchased this laptop 6 months ago, Amazon Warehouse for $1,080 with zero issues, I was almost going to return based on what I had heard. But considering at the time, it was retailing USD 1699.99. Well, I just couldn't let the deal go. It was a one of those purchases that was a great price, but for some reason you just feel remorseful, ie. Performance really isn't that good compared to the competition..

Apologies, mixing cartalk. XD. (Sleeper is a system you wouldn't expect to do well. In this case, the laptop would throttle performance based on it's size and thermal profile.)

I was attempting to describe, that when this was released, it would have been the most potent portable at it's price bracket if they hadn't restricted airflow to the fans. It would have been the go to for its price range instead of being out-shined by most of the competition.

When I purchased this laptop 6 months ago, Amazon Warehouse for $1,080 with zero issues, I was almost going to return based on what I had heard. But considering at the time, it was retailing USD 1699.99. Well, I just couldn't let the deal go. It was a one of those purchases that was a great price, but for some reason you just feel remorseful, ie. Performance really isn't that good compared to the competition..
    I kinda thought that's what you meant by sleeper and I agree. On top of the airflow issue, the thunderbolt3 JHL6240 is a pretty big disappointment too. I'd like to see a pic of the square vents you fashioned, if possible.

StarJack

ROG Enthusiast Array

Now to be fair they are not one inch squares. They are a hack-job but effective and safe none the less. I guess total it would be 2.5-3.5 square inch total across both fans.

Name:	attempt at fans.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	927.2 KB 
ID:	65978
    There are additional risers by the fans to ensure adequate airflow. Two at the bottom to keep level.

I play wow all the bells and whistles EXCEPT 7 on view distance and ultra shadows and whatever one setting below max SSAO at 60 FPS everywhere on GSYNC. 25% on both fans max.

This machine is a dream now. Oh and to answer your idle question...

Name:	zero fan movement.jpg 
Size:	461.7 KB 
ID:	65977

Now to be fair they are not one inch squares. They are a hack-job but effective and safe none the less. I guess total it would be 2.5-3.5 square inch total across both fans.

Name:	attempt at fans.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	927.2 KB 
ID:	65978
    There are additional risers by the fans to ensure adequate airflow. Two at the bottom to keep level.

I play wow all the bells and whistles EXCEPT 7 on view distance and ultra shadows and whatever one setting below max SSAO at 60 FPS everywhere on GSYNC. 25% on both fans max.

This machine is a dream now. Oh and to answer your idle question...

Name:	zero fan movement.jpg 
Size:	461.7 KB 
ID:	65977
    Thanks, hey, if it works, it works.

With regards to the idle fan speed and temperature; I found Notebook Fan Control does not properly read fan speeds from the ASUS EC. It will report 0% fan speed when in fact the fans are spinning at approximately 1800-2000 rpm. I do not believe the fans in these laptops spin down to 0 as others have stated. If I run NBFC and use the GL702VM profile, it will report 0% fan speed when idle while the ASUS Gaming Center reports around 1800 RPM. Is 53C your idle temperature?

Page 53 of 108 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 63 103 ... LastLast