Keyboard Logitech G213
    Mouse Logitech G403
    Headset SteelSeries Arctic 5
    Mouse Pad SteelSeries
    Headset/Speakers Logitech
    OS Windows 10 Pro
    Network RouterNetgear R7000

Quote Originally Posted by tvshim View Post
    Hi, is anyone experiencing simultaneous fan speed up then down (you can here the fan swirl fast then after a few seconds it swirls slower, then faster again, then slower) all at around 40~55 degrees?

Does anyone know of any fan RPM monitoring application? HWMonitor only captures CPU fan.

It's quite alarming to hear the fan go fast then slows down immediately after..

Asus ROG GL702VM
    Yes. My Skylake GL702VM does this all the time in that temp zone. Why, I dunno. I assumed the controller has a heavy right foot.

A few months ago I took the case off and watched the fans, as I thought one might not be working. So I had it on it's top, lid closed, plugged into an external monitor. (I had already opened it up before for upgrades.) Here's what I learned:

• the 3rd fan never ran. No matter the load, no matter the settings. And I couldn't find what fan it was for awhile, let alone how to control it. I finally found the GL702VM profile for NBFC and as soon as I loaded NBFC, the 3rd fan fired up. But only if it is set to a specific percentage speed. When set to "Auto" the fan never runs.
    • Worse, the 3rd fan is not adaptive when set via NBFC. IOW if set manually to 50%, it runs at 50% no matter what. This makes sense of course, given that the Auto setting is useless. But it means you have to remember to set the fan manually to 100% before gaming.
    • You know how some people say their system fans spin down to 0 sometimes, while others swear by apps like HWInfo that say a fan never goes below 1800 or 1900rpm? I watched it happen with the back cover off. All 3 fans would be stopped, while HWInfo would say the CPU fan was turning at 1900rpm. This happened several times. Something is lying like a dog in the hot August sun.

David

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Bran187 PC Specs
    Bran187 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)GL502VMK
    MotherboardMSI Z97 SLI Krait Edition
    Processori7 4790
    Memory (part number)16 GB GSkill DDR3
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 1070
    MonitorHP Pavilion 32q
    Storage #1120 GB SSD
    Storage #21TB HDD
    CPU CoolerCM 212
    CaseFractal Define R4
    Power SupplySeasonic 650W
    Keyboard Corsair K55
    Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
    Headset Plantronics Rig
    Mouse Pad Glteck XXL
    OS Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by imranh101 View Post
    repasted the main CPU and GPU chip, as well as two of the small memory modules (I'm assuming thats what they are) that looked like they were lacking in paste.
    When I repasted my CPU and GPU I noticed a few of the memory modules (I assumed that's what they were as well) were not properly pasted as well. I was going to order some thermal pads for them, but maybe I will just open her back up and throw some MX4 on them...

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by imranh101 View Post
    My laptop is all closed up but here is a picture of where you install it (literally the install is take off bottom cover and stick the heatsink on, it has adhesive TIM already on the bottom like a sticker)

http://i.imgur.com/FfNWeAG.jpg

and here is the heatsink I used :

http://www.microcenter.com/product/4..._13_x_13_x_3mm

There is a guide on youtube on how to do it, and it is also previously posted in this thread but.. I mean seriously you take off the bottom cover (you know how to do that), wipe the top of that chip with a lint free cloth to make sure its clean as possible, then just stick the heatsink on and close her back up! I'm sure that the heatsink wasn't the main factor, and the repaste was, but hey every 1% helps right?

Edit : Noticed after reading this back to myself it sounds almost condescending - was not intended, sorry - was just trying to make a point that it's dumb easy and everyone should do it. If you need to send laptop back for warranty you can just take the heatsink back off
    I did this tonight . . and WOW. Yes it works lol. Played PUBG, was getting 83 max on CPU ( super intense CPU game ) and 72 on GPU. Played overwatch, max 62 GPU and 73-75 CPU. This is a -.150 undervolt and a stock gpu Volt. Also repasted with some generic paste from newegg. I have a new tube of grizzly kryonaut, I might push my luck with that tomorrow. Also have some spare thermal pads. Going to open it up and see if anything needs replaced. Much happier adding the heatsink to the PCH as described in the picture above.

Quote Originally Posted by danmoore03 View Post
    I did this tonight . . and WOW. Yes it works lol. Played PUBG, was getting 83 max on CPU ( super intense CPU game ) and 72 on GPU. Played overwatch, max 62 GPU and 73-75 CPU. This is a -.150 undervolt and a stock gpu Volt. Also repasted with some generic paste from newegg. I have a new tube of grizzly kryonaut, I might push my luck with that tomorrow. Also have some spare thermal pads. Going to open it up and see if anything needs replaced. Much happier adding the heatsink to the PCH as described in the picture above.
    What laptop u have ?

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by TimS85 View Post
    What laptop u have ?
    GL502vs

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

I noticed that Asus has set PROCHOT at the max limit of 100C.

This is why you see such high temps. Asus allows the cpu to run that high before throttling, and in the past, my laptop did shutdown because it couldn't cool down fast enough as it was pinned at 100C.

PROCHOT 100C seems to allow us to run turbo boost longer, but it can get really hot.

Other laptop brands have lower PROCHOT, so they throttle sooner.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by link626 View Post
    I noticed that Asus has set PROCHOT at the max limit of 100C.

This is why you see such high temps. Asus allows the cpu to run that high before throttling, and in the past, my laptop did shutdown because it couldn't cool down fast enough as it was pinned at 100C.

PROCHOT 100C seems to allow us to run turbo boost longer, but it can get really hot.

Other laptop brands have lower PROCHOT, so they throttle sooner.
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but we do not want throttling right? Lower your temps via re-paste/mods and PROCHAT becomes a non issue.

ROG Member Array

Can someone please tell me how to undervolt my GL553VD? I want to undervolt the GPU but the instructions in this thread show the one for GTX 1060 while my laptop has GTX 1050.

I have no idea how clocking works so help would be appreciated.

New ROGer Array

same cards basically

Download and install msi afterburner. then top left of the core clock bar is a tiny three bar graph click on that. Its the voltage curve adjuster. You do it in there . more to it than that though.
    The 1050 has less mhz core speed that's the main diff. These cards come configured, especially 1050, with lots of voltage.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Bran187 View Post
    When I repasted my CPU and GPU I noticed a few of the memory modules (I assumed that's what they were as well) were not properly pasted as well. I was going to order some thermal pads for them, but maybe I will just open her back up and throw some MX4 on them...
    Yea I basically just tried to estimate how much i would need to glop on there for it to "fill out" and make good contact. Couldn't be assed to wait for pads to ship haha. Just make sure youre using non-conductive, or if it is conductive, make sure its not spilling out the side.

Page 61 of 108 FirstFirst ... 11 51 59 60 61 62 63 71 ... LastLast