Page 77 of 111 FirstFirst ... 27 67 75 76 77 78 79 87 ... LastLast
    New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by KalEl View Post
    Also would this affect my warranty?
    It seems most people here order a second bottom casing to make modifications to, that way if they need warranty service they can just install the original casing before sending it off. If your case has been modified and Asus techs see that, I have no doubt they would deny warranty service.

Has anyone noticed a significant temp drop from going to bios 307.
    I noticed some changes in cooling policy, mainly fans shutting off if the temps are below 40 C. That rarely happens, though.

Also can anyone give any insight on the little posts inside the panel and what their function is. Are they important? I know some people have run these laptops with the bottom panel off. There is also some kind of copper color strip. Not sure if it's some kind of anti static tape or what. I'd be losing a lot of these posts and that strip with such a huge cut out. Definitely hesitant on doing this now. Also would this affect my warranty?
    It's pretty simple, really. Those little posts are important, yes, they keep the components in place, as an extra safety measure. Anti static tape you mentioned is a foil aluminum tape used to shield the heat from the bottom of the device and help transferring it to the heat pipes, I personally wouldn't remove it. And lastly, yes, doing any mods to your bottom cover voids your warranty.

Update: Don't forget to consider plastic rigidity. If you remove too much, it will lose it's strength and might even crack or break. If I were you I'd test the mod elsewhere and then moved on to the actual laptop.
    Last edited by TornaD-oz; 02-28-2018 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Afterthought

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by revnja View Post
    It seems most people here order a second bottom casing to make modifications to, that way if they need warranty service they can just install the original casing before sending it off. If your case has been modified and Asus techs see that, I have no doubt they would deny warranty service.

case modification = warrant lose for sure; that’s why You should buy a replacement one then modify it and let original stay in the box in case of services

this is also my case, that’s why I’m bought extra bottom case for modification; it should be in days in my hands

IMHO, bottom case modification is THE BEST method to have full potential/performance while lowest temperatures, and its safe... just some $$$ for extra bottom case

stay tuned

ROG Member Array

Bottom case

While we are on the topic of ordering a second bottom case, Has anyone ordered from https://www.asus-accessories.com? Just trying to see if they are legit before placing my order.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by JArias View Post
    While we are on the topic of ordering a second bottom case, Has anyone ordered from https://www.asus-accessories.com? Just trying to see if they are legit before placing my order.
    Personally I haven't ordered a bottom cover yet, but earlier on this forum someone recommended this site.

Last week I brought my GL702VM to the official Asus repair shop, to repaste the CPU and GPU with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut without voiding the warranty. It made a huge difference.

AC origins, geforce optimized settings, cpu uv -130mV, turbo off when gaming, onjax profile 3, notebook fan control on:
    Before: CPU: 80C, GPU: 83C
    After: CPU: 70C, GPU: 74C

You might not be as lucky as I was, because the technician said, that the previous (factory) paste application was very poor, but it's worth a try.

Furthermore, these temps are after a good long session. It is even cooler in the first 30 minutes.

As benchmarks have shown, disabling turbo doesn't affect gaming performance at all. I have bidden CTRL+F12 to disable turbo with throttle stop, and CRTL+F11 for enabling it.

With these settings i am comfortably gaming in the low 70C-s without loosing performance. Before ordering a second bottom panel, try repasting.
    GL702VM

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Bran187 PC Specs
    Bran187 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)GL502VMK
    MotherboardMSI Z97 SLI Krait Edition
    Processori7 4790
    Memory (part number)16 GB GSkill DDR3
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 1070
    MonitorHP Pavilion 32q
    Storage #1120 GB SSD
    Storage #21TB HDD
    CPU CoolerCM 212
    CaseFractal Define R4
    Power SupplySeasonic 650W
    Keyboard Corsair K55
    Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
    Headset Plantronics Rig
    Mouse Pad Glteck XXL
    OS Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bran187 View Post
    A while back someone replaced the default thermal compound on the VRM/memory with thermal pads. Does anyone remember what thread/page that was?
    Found it. It's on page 63 if anybody else was interested.

Exclamation Clock drops with Turbo enabled

Guys, there's something strange going on with my GL702VS again. After installing the latest 307 BIOS, I noticed FPS drops from 100 to 20 at random and then going back to normal after about 20-30 seconds. I watched the clock speeds and noticed that the CPU was going from 3400 mHz to 700-800 mHz during these drops, then slowly going up again. At first I thought that it's just poor optimization performance (was playing Kingdom Come at the time), but then I installed Dishonored 2 and the same happened. I fiddled with every possible solution I could think of, until I noticed that you can disable Turbo Boost in ThrottleStop. With Turbo disabled, the clock drops are no longer there (FPS is lower now, of course).

I think I'll create another thread for this issue, because it's really disturbing. I have the drill mod, the temps stay below 80 C so thermal throttling is out of the question.

Have any of you noticed the same behavior?

Update: I tried to enable Turbo again and ran the fans on max RPM. There were no drops for about 20-30 minutes, then I put the fans on auto and the drop occurred. It leads me to believe there are issues with VRM throttling, even though the CPU itself is relatively cool. I have no experience dealing with VRM issues and there seems to be no way to check its temperatures in this laptop, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by TornaD-oz; 03-03-2018 at 04:12 PM.

New ROGer Array

Hello,

im running 307 too and have no Problems.

My Settings:

CPU undervolt -120 @2,8Ghz, Tubo disabled
    GPU runs ab 850 @1850

1 Hour GTA 5 = Temps GPU 59° // CPU max. 68°

Im happy now. Have the G702VSK with 2 Fans (CPU and GPU Fan and not the 3 fan in the middle)

New ROGer Array

Red face Solved the overheating issue

I have solved the terrible heating and cooling issues first-hand, and I could not wait to share it with those of you who remain to have this issue.

What you will need :
    - the old plastics and warranty card associated with your device
    - the old cardboard box your device shipped in
    - receipts (if any still remain)
    - a means of transport (ie: car, public transportation, etc)
    - a few days, and maybe a few extra bits of loose cash
    - the will and need to see the light...

the first thing I did was take the old plastics and warranty card for my device, and neatly placed everything into the cardboard box my device came in. In my situation, I had purchased the Laptop from a local store, and I was still within my warranty period. I proceeded to get into my car and drive to the location of wherein I had purchased the said laptop, and spoke to an associate who pointed me in the direction of Customer Service.

The associate who assisted me in RETURNING MY ASUS was an immense help, and I could not have been any happier to have dealt with them. Before exiting the store, I whipped my phone out, did a quick search on a local website for the availability of a BETTER LAPTOP, in my case, an MSI GE62MVR which reaped everything I wanted from my ****ty ASUS, and made it cooler, and now poses the GPU (GTX 1060) as the bottleneck to my 7700HQ which barely needs to run full tilt. Unlike almost all of you, I barely touch 72 Degrees Celcius, when the CPU sits near 100% useage threshold... which... it never does.. because it never throttles... even without cooler boost enabled

i'm not sorry you still have 230w egg boilers that can't out-perform a toaster.
    I hope you all learn, and next time decide on something built more accordingly.
    I learned just in time, and it seems most of you didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by telael85 View Post
    Hello,

im running 307 too and have no Problems.

My Settings:

CPU undervolt -120 @2,8Ghz, Tubo disabled
    GPU runs ab 850 @1850

1 Hour GTA 5 = Temps GPU 59° // CPU max. 68°

Im happy now. Have the G702VSK with 2 Fans (CPU and GPU Fan and not the 3 fan in the middle)
    Did you drill the case / change thermal paste? Also, can you please share your GPU curve? I'm trying to stay on the safe side and have a flatline at 1690, but seen lots and lots of people going higher than that. I'm not sure if it's necessary since most games can hit 100 fps without issues.

Quote Originally Posted by GolFer View Post
    I learned just in time, and it seems most of you didn't.
    Yes, most of the people here missed their RMA window. Or, frankly, live in a country where RMA is not an option. You have zero reason to blame us instead of blaming ASUS. Enjoy your first world privileges and let us wallow in the guerilla warfare.
    Last edited by TornaD-oz; 03-04-2018 at 12:37 AM.

Page 77 of 111 FirstFirst ... 27 67 75 76 77 78 79 87 ... LastLast