Page 78 of 111 FirstFirst ... 28 68 76 77 78 79 80 88 ... LastLast
    New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by TornaD-oz View Post

Yes, most of the people here missed their RMA window. Or, frankly, live in a country where RMA is not an option. You have zero reason to blame us instead of blaming ASUS. Enjoy your first world privileges and let us wallow in the guerilla warfare.

okay, then i'll adjust by saying, I hope others don't fall into the affordable hotbox trap that i, and like many others, have

Quote Originally Posted by GolFer View Post
    okay, then i'll adjust by saying, I hope others don't fall into the affordable hotbox trap that i, and like many others, have
    I agree with you. Never in my life have I spent so much time fixing, adjusting and testing an out-of-the-box device. I'd suggest to anyone reading this and thinking about buying one of these laptops to think again and buy something else.

New ROGer Array

just changed the thermal paste. The "old" one was terrible ...

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by telael85 View Post
    just changed the thermal paste. The "old" one was terrible ...
    I use AS5 in almost everything I own, and it made negligible difference in my FX502VM. A degree or two, or three, if that. The wonderful creation that is the "affordable" mid-range laptop was then easily dealt the "i was made like ****" card, over, and over, and over.

but it's okay, because no matter what, they made it, for a good string of time, people were sucked into buying it, and now they're moving on, and leaving everyone in the dirt.

look, i'm not being biased - other manufacturers really screw things up for other people, too. take for instance, MSI - they have a ****ty GPU hardware fix wherein you send it in for crashing after a ertain voltage spike, and they "fix it" by NOT replacing the GPU, and limiting your frequency curve, and pinning it, non-adjustable, to... i think... 1400 mhz or something like that. pretty stupid fix, right?

anyways, the biggest problem here is there's next to nothing that can be done, so taking off the bottom, and flipping your laptop upside down, and using an external keyboard, mouse, and monitor, is about the best you can do for something as terribly made as these machines.

Quote Originally Posted by GolFer View Post
    look, i'm not being biased - other manufacturers really screw things up for other people, too. take for instance, MSI - they have a ****ty GPU hardware fix wherein you send it in for crashing after a ertain voltage spike, and they "fix it" by NOT replacing the GPU, and limiting your frequency curve, and pinning it, non-adjustable, to... i think... 1400 mhz or something like that. pretty stupid fix, right?
    Before buying GL702VS, I used to have ASUS G750JX. It's price was roughly the same at the time and for all its years it performed without issues, I didn't even know the word "overheating" before selling it for the fresher gear. So naturally I thought that ASUS is a trustworthy brand, which makes reliable, premium-quality laptops. Man was I wrong...

As for my strange new overheating issues, it's probably because CPU wants more power than AC can supply, not sure. Going to stay on disabled Turbo for the time being.

ROG Member Array

Speaker Grill

[QUOTE=TornaD-oz;707593]So I wanted to make an extensive post sharing all my findings and modding results for the GL702VSK.

Which speaker cover did you go with and where did you order it from? Looking through amazon and the one i found didnt seem to have much surface area to glue to.
    Last edited by JArias; 03-05-2018 at 06:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JArias View Post
    Which speaker cover did you go with and where did you order it from? Looking through amazon and the one i found didnt seem to have much surface area to glue to.
    2 inch one from AliExpress. I can share SKU if it's allowed on this forum.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by TornaD-oz View Post
    Before buying GL702VS, I used to have ASUS G750JX.
    My story is similar. I bought an Asus G74SX and it ran flawlessly back in the day and was built very solid and had very premium features for the price when it released. It still works to this day and I've never had a serious issue with it. I upgraded to a G75 series, same deal. I was tempted by the GL702VSK as it had a GTX 1070 and I bought it for $1199 brand new.

It's being delivered back to the retailer I bought it from tomorrow. In no way should it be a requirement to repaste or even worse, drill holes in the case of a laptop out of the box to get it to work.

I've since bought an Acer Predator 15 with a GTX 1070 which has more premium features and the thermals on it are excellent. I wish I had done more research here before I wasted my time buying the Asus. Their thermal 'solution' is just a real hack-job and I can't imagine the GL702 lasting for nearly as long as my G74SX did, should I had kept it. Why they're STILL letting retailers sell this obviously flawed model is a sign that serious players should look elsewhere.

TL;DR -- If you're here researching whether or not to buy one of these on the cheap, skip it -- with a little research you can find better models in the same price range and be much happier in the long run.

ROG Junior Member Array

Guys! you don't need to disable turbo boost to stop throttling! yes you can under-volt your CPU core/cache (-125 is enough) & Optimize GPU clock speed using msi afterburner & use notebook fan control with custom profile (highly recommenced)..

BUT DON'T FORGET TO REDUCE TURBO POWER: IN THROTTLESTOP GO TO "TPL" AND REDUCE PACKAGE POWER (DEFAULT VALUE IS 56), START FROM 25.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GL702VM-TPL.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	72125

this will completely fix CPU throttling during heavy load operations like games & etc..
    also it isn't necessary to uncheck C1E in throttle stop main window if you don't have any problem with fan noise when idle..
    Last edited by mirkazemilad; 03-05-2018 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Image Attached.

Quote Originally Posted by mirkazemilad View Post
    Guys! you don't need to disable turbo boost to stop throttling! yes you can under-volt your CPU core/cache (-125 is enough) & Optimize GPU clock speed using msi afterburner & use notebook fan control with custom profile (highly recommenced)..

BUT DON'T FORGET TO REDUCE TURBO POWER: IN THROTTLESTOP GO TO "TPL" AND REDUCE PACKAGE POWER (DEFAULT VALUE IS 56), START FROM 25.

this will completely fix CPU throttling during heavy load operations like games & etc..
    also it isn't necessary to uncheck C1E in throttle stop main window if you don't have any problem with fan noise when idle..
    I'm still hitting PL1 and getting clock drops with your settings, any ideas?

It started to happen after BIOS 307. Ah, well, I guess I'm just gonna leave it at Turbo Off, less noise anyway.
    Last edited by TornaD-oz; 03-06-2018 at 08:35 AM.

Page 78 of 111 FirstFirst ... 28 68 76 77 78 79 80 88 ... LastLast