Page 93 of 105 FirstFirst ... 43 83 91 92 93 94 95 103 ... LastLast
Results 921 to 930 of 1047
  1. #921
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    4

    Wink ROG ASUS Strix SCAR edition GL703GS overheating problems

    I'm posting this for people with my model laptop, as there is absolutely NO INFORMATION out there on google. Thank god I found this topic, it has been of extreme help. I went through all 92 pages and would like to paraphrase what I found to help others who are having the same issue.

    I'm running a ROG ASUS Strix SCAR edition GL703GS. i7 8750, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD, GTX 1070. The problem is that both my processor and graphics card were overheating straight out of the box. My computer would lag up after just minutes of game play and often crash or blue screen.

    I started by installing a fresh copy of windows, which may not be necessary, but I thought that I had misconfigured something. Afterwards I visited this webpage:
    https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-...Desk_Download/
    And installed:
    -Latest BIOs driver
    -ASUS GPU TweakII
    -Intel® Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Driver
    -Intel(R) Management Engine Components
    -ASUS Keyboard hotkeys UAP (lets you control your fan speed)


    From there I:
    -Updated BIOs
    -Hit FN+F5, set to balanced (don't worry, fans will speed up later when they need to)
    -Updated graphics and other Drivers
    -NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL - Manage 3D Settings - Power Management Mode- Set to "Adaptive"
    -NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL - Change Resolution - 144hz
    -NVIDIA GEOFORCE EXPERIENCE - Update Drivers
    -NVIDIA GEOFORCE EXPERIENCE - Settings - Disable "Optimize newly added games"
    -NVIDIA GEOFORCE EXPERIENCE - Settings - Disable "Whisper Mode"
    -NVIDIA GEOFORCE EXPERIENCE - Settings - Disable "In game Overlay"
    -NVIDIA GEOFORCE EXPERIENCE - Settings - Disable "Gamestream"
    -NVIDIA GEOFORCE EXPERIENCE - Settings - Battery Boost - Set max frame rate to 60fps (may not be required if you do not prefer to)
    -Windows - Power and Sleep Settings - Additional Power Settings - Change Plan Settings - Change Advanced Settings - Processor Power Management - System Cooling Policy - Set both to active
    -Windows - Power and Sleep Settings - Additional Power Settings - Change Plan Settings - Change Advanced Settings - Processor Power Management - Maximum Processor State - Set both to 99%
    -ASUS GPU Tweak II - Set GPU clock to -100 , Set Memory Clock to -20, Set GPU Temp Target to -25
    -Limited all ingame frame rates to 60fps (may not be required if you do not prefer to)

    This brought an extreme improvement. Before modifications here (shows me switching from idle state to Witcher 3, running only a minute or two):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KvERX3n.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	207.3 KB 
ID:	74837

    After modifications idle:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17cyCH5.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	121.4 KB 
ID:	74838
    After modifications while running W3 for THIRTY minutes:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p2kzHo1.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	74839
    I get full 60FPS, very smooth gameplay, and this is with W3 heavily loaded with graphics mods.

    Essentially I went from:
    IDLE: - GPU 50C / CPU 45C
    INGAME: - GPU 80C / CPU 64-84C

    To:
    IDLE: - GPU 39C / CPU 38C
    INGAME: - GPU 56C / CPU 48C

    This is well within spec and temperatures that I am happy with, with no noticable performance loss.

    If you want even better temps, you can try these things that I found elsewhere in the topic(i wasnt forced to do any of this):
    -Install Intel's extreme tuning utility and under clock your PCU.
    -Drill holes with screens under your processors for better ventilation
    -Foil tape between fan vents and fans
    -External cooling pads or devices to suck the air out
    -Remove dust catch

    The fan control utility and many others linked here do not work on my model.

    I hope this was help to someone, as it certainly was no where to found for my model. I looked everywhere and there is little to no information around.
    Last edited by frawstme; 07-26-2018 at 03:49 AM.

  2. #922
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    18

    lucky you, no matter what i do, how much i undervolt cpu and gpu i still get 85+ degrees gaming and 50-60 degree idle (-130mV on CPU, GPU 1700mhz @875mV and fans @100%)

    GL702VMK is the worst laptop i ever owned. MSI is going to be my next one. I lost all hope in Asus, low quality products, non existing customer support and all that at the premium price.

  3. #923
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    4

    Quote Originally Posted by dasBOT View Post
    lucky you, no matter what i do, how much i undervolt cpu and gpu i still get 85+ degrees gaming and 50-60 degree idle (-130mV on CPU, GPU 1700mhz @875mV and fans @100%)

    GL702VMK is the worst laptop i ever owned. MSI is going to be my next one. I lost all hope in Asus, low quality products, non existing customer support and all that at the premium price.
    I'm assuming you disabled intel turbo, and set GPU temp target? Those were the two biggest factors for me.

  4. #924
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    51

    About the Official answer on the GL502VS discharging Issue ( 6th gen ) , did anyone try for RMA, if so what options were you given?

    Laptop is soon to be 2 years old and it's a shame nothing was fixed over this time, just 2 BIOS updates that changed nothing,discharge still present.

  5. #925
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    4

    Quote Originally Posted by frawstme View Post
    I'm posting this for people with my model laptop, as there is absolutely NO INFORMATION out there on google. Thank god I found this topic, it has been of extreme help. I went through all 92 pages and would like to paraphrase what I found to help others who are having the same issue.

    I'm running a ROG ASUS Strix SCAR edition GL703GS. i7 8750, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD, GTX 1070. The problem is that both my processor and graphics card were overheating straight out of the box. My computer would lag up after just minutes of game play and often crash or blue screen.

    I started by installing a fresh copy of windows, which may not be necessary, but I thought that I had misconfigured something. Afterwards I visited this webpage:
    https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-...Desk_Download/
    And installed:
    -Latest BIOs driver
    -ASUS GPU TweakII
    -Intel® Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Driver
    -Intel(R) Management Engine Components
    -ASUS Keyboard hotkeys UAP (lets you control your fan speed)


    From there I:
    -Updated BIOs
    -Hit FN+F5, set to balanced (don't worry, fans will speed up later when they need to)
    -Updated graphics and other Drivers
    -NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL - Manage 3D Settings - Power Management Mode- Set to "Adaptive"
    -NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL - Change Resolution - 144hz
    -NVIDIA GEOFORCE EXPERIENCE - Update Drivers
    -NVIDIA GEOFORCE EXPERIENCE - Settings - Disable "Optimize newly added games"
    -NVIDIA GEOFORCE EXPERIENCE - Settings - Disable "Whisper Mode"
    -NVIDIA GEOFORCE EXPERIENCE - Settings - Disable "In game Overlay"
    -NVIDIA GEOFORCE EXPERIENCE - Settings - Disable "Gamestream"
    -NVIDIA GEOFORCE EXPERIENCE - Settings - Battery Boost - Set max frame rate to 60fps (may not be required if you do not prefer to)
    -Windows - Power and Sleep Settings - Additional Power Settings - Change Plan Settings - Change Advanced Settings - Processor Power Management - System Cooling Policy - Set both to active
    -Windows - Power and Sleep Settings - Additional Power Settings - Change Plan Settings - Change Advanced Settings - Processor Power Management - Maximum Processor State - Set both to 99%
    -ASUS GPU Tweak II - Set GPU clock to -100 , Set Memory Clock to -20, Set GPU Temp Target to -25
    -Limited all ingame frame rates to 60fps (may not be required if you do not prefer to)

    This brought an extreme improvement. Before modifications here (shows me switching from idle state to Witcher 3, running only a minute or two):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KvERX3n.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	207.3 KB 
ID:	74837

    After modifications idle:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17cyCH5.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	121.4 KB 
ID:	74838
    After modifications while running W3 for THIRTY minutes:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p2kzHo1.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	74839
    I get full 60FPS, very smooth gameplay, and this is with W3 heavily loaded with graphics mods.

    Essentially I went from:
    IDLE: - GPU 50C / CPU 45C
    INGAME: - GPU 80C / CPU 64-84C

    To:
    IDLE: - GPU 39C / CPU 38C
    INGAME: - GPU 56C / CPU 48C

    This is well within spec and temperatures that I am happy with, with no noticable performance loss.

    If you want even better temps, you can try these things that I found elsewhere in the topic(i wasnt forced to do any of this):
    -Install Intel's extreme tuning utility and under clock your PCU.
    -Drill holes with screens under your processors for better ventilation
    -Foil tape between fan vents and fans
    -External cooling pads or devices to suck the air out
    -Remove dust catch

    The fan control utility and many others linked here do not work on my model.

    I hope this was help to someone, as it certainly was no where to found for my model. I looked everywhere and there is little to no information around.
    Since I've posted this, i've made a few changes.
    -I used Intel's extreme Tuning program to disable Turbo boost, and moved my power settings from 99% back to 100%.
    -I changed my GPU temp target to -18

    Gave me a little better performance, but gpu runs slightly hotter.

  6. #926
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    18

    Quote Originally Posted by frawstme View Post
    I'm assuming you disabled intel turbo, and set GPU temp target? Those were the two biggest factors for me.
    yes i did, the best i could get is 82-85 degree on gpu and around 78-82 on cpu after 5 minutes of playing battlefield 1

    the only good thing about this laptop is i can use it as a radiator during winter, it is definitly not for the gaming.

  7. #927
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    30

    Quote Originally Posted by dasBOT View Post
    yes i did, the best i could get is 82-85 degree on gpu and around 78-82 on cpu after 5 minutes of playing battlefield 1

    the only good thing about this laptop is i can use it as a radiator during winter, it is definitly not for the gaming.

    Same here! (GL702VM)
    Tried everything from the software part. Even these last suggestions from frawstme. Nothing just works and temperatures are just the same as yours.

    I will soon go for the bottom case mod. Just waiting for my warrantly to expire. I think that is the only thing it really might help.

  8. #928
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    4

    Quote Originally Posted by Kompensan View Post
    Same here! (GL702VM)
    Tried everything from the software part. Even these last suggestions from frawstme. Nothing just works and temperatures are just the same as yours.

    I will soon go for the bottom case mod. Just waiting for my warrantly to expire. I think that is the only thing it really might help.
    Damn guys, that sucks. I'm sorry to hear that. I was hoping that it might help some of the older gen computers as well. I don't understand how the issue got passed ASUS when they were doing their product tests, unless it was only a certain amounts of PCs effected. There's no way that every one of them would overheat like that after just a few minutes of gaming, and ASUS thought that would be an OK product to put on the market

  9. #929
    ROG Junior Member Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    3

    Hi guys! I currently have a problem with my CPU.

    I have a GL502VM(K) since a year and already undervolted my i7 7700HQ to -125mV since the beginning, with temps between 70 and 80°C in general gaming, while most demanding games like AC Origins or The Witcher 3 push it at max. 85°C. All was good until the beginning of July, when I realized that my CPU was suddenly going insanely high despite the undervolt. Now in most demanding games like The Witcher 3 and KDeliverance my CPU goes up to 96°C, less demanding games like The Surge and Black Mirror push it to 90-92°C, Vampyr between 77°C and 87°C. Most of these games all run between 70-80°C before, so I can't understand what's the problem here.

    GPU always runs between 67°C and max. 80°C (but usually stays at 75°C) and that's pretty good. Idle temps all also good, 45-50°C for CPU and 44-49°C for GPU. Room temperature is between 25°C and 35°C in summer and I don't have an air conditioner. You might say that the problem could be the room temp but last summer my undervolted CPU temps only went up to 85°C (in most demanding games).

    I really can't detect the problem here. Fans are spinning like always, I even set those at 100% speed (5200rpm) from Gaming Center but didn't make much difference. What can I do to detect the problem and lower my CPU temps more?
    Last edited by HolographicSun; 07-30-2018 at 03:25 AM.

  10. #930
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    30

    Quote Originally Posted by HolographicSun View Post
    Hi guys! I currently have a problem with my CPU.

    I have a GL502VM(K) since a year and already overclocked my i7 7700HQ to -125mV since the beginning, with temps between 70 and 80°C in general gaming, while most demanding games like AC Origins or The Witcher 3 push it at max. 85°C. All was good until the beginning of July, when I realized that my CPU was suddenly going insanely high despite the undervolt. Now in most demanding games like The Witcher 3 and KDeliverance my CPU goes up to 96°C, less demanding games like The Surge and Black Mirror push it to 90-92°C, Vampyr between 77°C and 87°C. Most of these games all run between 70-80°C before, so I can't understand what's the problem here.

    GPU always runs between 67°C and max. 80°C (but usually stays at 75°C) and that's pretty good. Idle temps all also good, 45-50°C for CPU and 44-49°C for GPU. Room temperature is between 25°C and 35°C in summer and I don't have an air conditioner. You might say that the problem could be the room temp but last summer my undervolted CPU temps only went up to 85°C (in most demanding games).

    I really can't detect the problem here. Fans are spinning like always, I even set those at 100% speed (5200rpm) from Gaming Center but didn't make much difference. What can I do to detect the problem and lower my CPU temps more?


    Do you mean undervolt to -0.125mV right? Because you sait Overclock and that could be the reason. What software did you used to undervolt?
    Possible reasons are something messed with your settings. Did you already tried to stop undervolt ?
    Other possible problem is that because of those temperatures the Thermal paste performance dropped during the previous year and now demands a new repaste.
    Is your laptop on the same position or place? The bottom ventilation needs to be perfect on these computers. Try to use it on a different place.

Page 93 of 105 FirstFirst ... 43 83 91 92 93 94 95 103 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •