Page 98 of 108 FirstFirst ... 48 88 96 97 98 99 100 ... LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Low temps 63 max, GPU throttling.

Hi guys,

So I brought my cooling pad over "Cooler Master CM Storm SF-19 Strike Force" to get even more cooling, and I dropped,,,
    the temps to max GPU temps 63, CPU temps 72.
    Before maxes were, GPU temps 69, CPU temps 76.
    So not much, but these temps are no where near where a GPU CPU should have to throttle.
    (I'm going to max out fans and reply with temps after this)

I sent the pictures into ASUS, there's a bigger problem, it's not thermal.
    I read about the power brick not having enough power for the laptop, is that still an issue? or was that bad information?
    Cause maybe that's why we see precise timed drops in GPU hz, maybe there's not enough power coming into the laptop???

And anyways here's two pictures today of a full game of CS GO with my laptop cooling pad "Cooler Master CM Storm SF-19 Strike Force"
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos Thremal CS GO with cooling pad, first half.jpg  

Thermal CS GO cooling pad, second half.jpg  

ROG Enthusiast Array

Lowest temps still throttling.

So here's Max fan speed temps,,,
    with out cooling pad, GPU 69, CPU 76
    With pad normal fan, GPU 63, CPU 72
    Max fan speed temps, GPU 60, CPU 67

I really don't think there should be any throttling going on at any o these temps.
    BUT, the on screen noticeably of the GPU throttle is not noticeable with temps are lower, even though the GPU is throttling the same with all temps.
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos CS GO max fan temps.jpg  

ROG Enthusiast Array

CPU boost, cooling fan GPU throttling, no frame dropping

I'm getting massively confused here.
    SO I turned back on CPU boost 100% profile, Temp went up to 86, GPU is still throttling, but The whole game , not one frame dropping 20 frames for a second or two.

I turned up the the CPU, 86 degrees, GPU still throttling, but all the frame drops are gone.

Someone help me figure this out...
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos CPU 100% GPU throttling, no frames drop.jpg  

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array FULLMETALJACKET7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by l337g0g0 View Post
    I'm getting massively confused here.
    SO I turned back on CPU boost 100% profile, Temp went up to 86, GPU is still throttling, but The whole game , not one frame dropping 20 frames for a second or two.

I turned up the the CPU, 86 degrees, GPU still throttling, but all the frame drops are gone.

Someone help me figure this out...
    CSGO is CPU bound, that's the worst game you could use to test your GPU clocks/temps. Look at the GPU usage graph. That's why the GPU clocks are fluctuating like that.
    That's also why the stuttering went away after you turned the CPU boost clocks back on.

Run something like Heaven Benchmark or Superposition and monitor the clocks, temperatures and power/temp/util limits using the MSI Afterburner OSD. Make sure the GPU is at least at 99% load at all times before jumping into any conclusions.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETALJACKET7 View Post
    CSGO is CPU bound, that's the worst game you could use to test your GPU clocks/temps. Look at the GPU usage graph. That's why the GPU clocks are fluctuating like that.
    That's also why the stuttering went away after you turned the CPU boost clocks back on.

Run something like Heaven Benchmark or Superposition and monitor the clocks, temperatures and power/temp/util limits using the MSI Afterburner OSD. Make sure the GPU is at least at 99% load at all times before jumping into any conclusions.
    But the GPU is throttling and I'm not getting frame drops.

And I just did a FPS in there and you can see the frame drops and they are not correlated to anything on the graph, it's like there random.
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos FRAME DIPS.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by l337g0g0 View Post
    But the GPU is throttling and I'm not getting frame drops.

And I just did a FPS in there and you can see the frame drops and they are not correlated to anything on the graph, it's like there random.
    The GPU is no throttling. It's downclocking because of low utilization, that's perfectly normal.

Test in some other game or benchmarking tool and see if you still get those frame drops/stutters.

ROG Enthusiast Array djbigbear PC Specs
    djbigbear PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)FX502VMZ
    MotherboardFX502VMZ
    Processori7 7700HQ
    Memory (part number)16GB
    Graphics Card #1GTX 1060 3GB
    Sound CardCM6206 external soundcard
    MonitorAUO B156HTN05.2 120hz
    Storage #1Samsung NVME 960 PRO 512GB
    Storage #2Samsung SATA 850 EVO 500GB
    Mouse M720 & G602
    Headset ATH-AD900
    Mouse Pad Steelseries Qck
    Headset/Speakers Mackie CR5BT
    OS Windows 10 64-bit
    Network RouterRT-N12HP N300
    Accessory #1 Deepcool multicore X6 cooling pad
    Accessory #2 Opolar LC06 vacuumcooler #1
    Accessory #3 Opolar LC06 vacuumcooler #2

hmm.. that was one of my suspicion too.
    unlike l337g0g0, i play CSGO with max setting, vsync on triple buffering, MSAA full, FPS locked at 120.102 fps(120hz screen) with afterburner. Nvidia driver power profile set to maximum performance. FPS steady at locked fps.

Quote Originally Posted by djbigbear View Post
    hmm.. that was one of my suspicion too.
    unlike l337g0g0, i play CSGO with max setting, vsync on triple buffering, MSAA full, FPS locked at 120.102 fps(120hz screen) with afterburner. Nvidia driver power profile set to maximum performance. FPS steady at locked fps.
    Kinda off topic, but you why would you use vsync and triple buffering in CSGO?

ROG Enthusiast Array djbigbear PC Specs
    djbigbear PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)FX502VMZ
    MotherboardFX502VMZ
    Processori7 7700HQ
    Memory (part number)16GB
    Graphics Card #1GTX 1060 3GB
    Sound CardCM6206 external soundcard
    MonitorAUO B156HTN05.2 120hz
    Storage #1Samsung NVME 960 PRO 512GB
    Storage #2Samsung SATA 850 EVO 500GB
    Mouse M720 & G602
    Headset ATH-AD900
    Mouse Pad Steelseries Qck
    Headset/Speakers Mackie CR5BT
    OS Windows 10 64-bit
    Network RouterRT-N12HP N300
    Accessory #1 Deepcool multicore X6 cooling pad
    Accessory #2 Opolar LC06 vacuumcooler #1
    Accessory #3 Opolar LC06 vacuumcooler #2

Kinda off topic, but you why would you use vsync and triple buffering in CSGO?
    Because it's not straining my eyes when i play for hours.
    Most people knew that enabling vsync would bring the infamous input lag into play, but what they didn't know that you could practically minimize that input lag to the point that you could no longer feel it.
    You just need to eliminate the source of input lag caused by extra preloaded frame that's usually happens when you enable vsync by locking the framerate slightly below vsync target fps.
    Considering your GPU is capable of running fps at your monitor refresh rate, then it's the closest you can get to a g-sync without a g-sync monitor. buttery smooth.
    note: this doesn't work with adaptive vsync.

You can read all about it here:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil.../?id=668808553
    https://www.blurbusters.com/howto-low-lag-vsync-on/
    https://medium.com/@petrakeas/vsync-...er-2437118bfa5

CSGO is a bit tricky, most GPU won't work at maximum performance because of how the game was set by the dev, since it's heavily CPU Bound, low setting would just make the GPU work even less thus even lower fps, so I needed to crank all the setting up just so the GPU would work harder to get stable 120 fps.
    Last edited by djbigbear; 09-30-2018 at 12:46 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

The GPU is no throttling. It's downclocking because of low utilization, that's perfectly normal.

Test in some other game or benchmarking tool and see if you still get those frame drops/stutters.
    So Why is it down clocking at those precise intervals?

Why those frame drops sir? there's no reason from that graph that corresponds to those dips...
    Can you help me solve the frame drops that stutter the game?
    This is the issue for everyone here.
    Temps are low, no voltage issues, no CPU holding the GPU back, or GPU holding the CPU back.

I'm going to test BF4, and a benchmark program.

Thank you for your input.

Page 98 of 108 FirstFirst ... 48 88 96 97 98 99 100 ... LastLast