cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Gtx 1080 is best?

Neko
Level 7
I have never done any sort of pc modding/building before but I am ready to start today! (with some help hopefully..)
I have had an Asus G20aj-b11 for just about a year now and am looking to upgrade the current (factory) graphics card
which is a nvidia geforce gtx 960, with 2 gigs of vram. I am very interested in getting my hands on a 1080 series card
and have been looking through posts to see if such a card could fit and if Ill need to upgrade my power supply.
I have the dual power supply 180w plus 240w that came with the desktop and from what ive read the card should fit into the slot.
I believe that since I have an Asus desktop it would be in my best interest to get the Asus brand version of the 1080 card in terms of
it working more refined and efficiently together since it is of the same brand name. This may mean better compatibility*and less hassle
putting it together? Is there a quality and performance difference in the brands or is it pay for your favorite brand name and essentially
have the same thing? (O.o)
NogArerU SerAph X.U.
-S0NOVAI@OMVRI >
13 REPLIES 13

Janne-71
Level 7
Rumors are 1080ti will be published next january if i were you i would hold on to that, you get more power with almost same money. If you can wait some months that is. But your question, i think they all pretty much equal in performance, asus, gigabyte, msi atleast. I would maybe get 1080 asus strix though.

Volt
Level 9
Great question.

You should measure the inside of your case to see what size card you are limited to. Some cards may be too big to physically fit. All cards should list their dimensions, so you can know if they will fit or not. I imagine most of your choices will work. So this is just to be safe.

For power requirements, I think all cards list how much power they draw. If you know how much your system is using, and how much your power supply produces, then you should know if a card you are looking at will work or not. I saw this article that might shed some more technical info on the subject.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-pascal,4572-10.html

I don't think it's necessary to stay with ASUS just for the sake of you using an ASUS desktop. Though if you find an ASUS card you like, then that's a better reason to go with it. All nVidia GTX 1080 cards are suppose to function basically the same. Though different manufactures will tweak, and sometimes overclock the card to make it faster. They may use different heat sinks, fans, or water coolers to cool it. That could affect how loud or quiet the card is. Warranty duration may be different amongst different brands.I would suggest sticking to name brands your are familiar with. That should mean the card is properly supported, and protect you in case of warranty issues. Generally I've noticed the more expensive the card is, then the faster it is. But, that is not always the case.

I currently have an EVGA GTX 970. It came with the new computer that I got from Cyberpower PC. I got that 2 years ago. I am pretty happy with it. But it has limitations with rendering all the eye candy at high frame rates on my Asus Rog Swift 27" (from 2014 also). I've been super happy with that monitor too. But I recently upgraded to the ASUS PG348Q Swift. And so it was time to get a new card. I have been reading about the 1080 GTX, and 1070 GTX cards all year. So many choices! And so expensvie! It's hard at times to figure out which one is better than the others. Though useing price as a gauge is a good start. I ended up picking a MSI GeForce GTX 1080. Newegg has a sale currently on them at -$100 off. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127943I checked a few review sites on this card and liked what I read about it. So that's what I picked for my setup.

Its really fun to build your own computer from scratch and put in the parts you wants.Beats every factory built computer all day long.But its fun to update a factory computer to and the G20 have a tight space where the Nvidia GTX 1080 Founder Edition fits great who many other GPU:s dont do when they have other sizes and two or three fans who gets a hard life in this rather closed metal frame box for the GPU.The original GTX 1080 also handle the heat nice in this G20 box.Some pictures of the G20 changed GPU and CPU : https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?88298-Asus-G20CB-CPU-and-GPU-Updated

I'm a huge EVGA fan.. there customer support a few years ago.. [last time I had a rma] is second to none.. when my card died they overnighted me a new one with a return label for old one.. yes it cost me a bit extra for that but worth every penny. and from what I have seen so far with asus support... well lets just say the forum guys are 1000% smarter than customer support.

Wow thanks for the feedback everyone I must say I am very impressed with how helpful everyone is here. I didn't know there was a 1080ti announced to come out soon, ill definitely look into those now. I have thought about the 1070 series because of the price difference but I think the extra performance of the 1080 is worth the extra money, plus it'll hold its own against future cards for longer. hopefully.. technology moves faster every day. (>.<)
NogArerU SerAph X.U.
-S0NOVAI@OMVRI >

Neko wrote:
I didn't know there was a 1080ti announced to come out soon, ill definitely look into those now.

I don't the the Ti has been officially announced, it's just rumor and speculation.

Ahh. thanks. Anyway how often do graphic cards get realeased? Is there always talk of a new one after one just came out?
NogArerU SerAph X.U.
-S0NOVAI@OMVRI >

Neko wrote:
Ahh. thanks. Anyway how often do graphic cards get realeased? Is there always talk of a new one after one just came out?

How often do they get released? It seems to be about every 1-2 years for the next new series number of the card to come out. The current generation,*The GeForce Gtx 1000 series, came out in May 2016. That being the Gtx 1080. The previous series, the*GeForce Gtx 900 series came out in Sept 2014. And the one prior to that, the 700 series, came out in May 2013. The other versions of a given series seem to come out a few months later. So far it's been the 1070, 1060, and 1050. The 1080Ti has not come out yet. I imagine sometime next year. Maybe in March? Maybe in June? Nvidia is in competition witih Radeon, so Radeon releases seem to affect Nvidia releases, and vice versa. Generally when a new line of cards comes out, that usually means price drops for the other lines. But not always.

*This link shows price trends going back 18 months on several of the latest video cards; 900 seies/1000 series/Radeon series. That might shed a little bit of light on frequency and costs.**http://pcpartpicker.com/trends/price/video-card/

You could keep on waiting indefinitely for the next best card to come out. It might help to figure out what you want the card for; 1080p gaming, 1440p gaming, 4k gaming, etc. Then once something is available in your budget, then get it.*

I am building 2 new PC's here right now. (Actually they are done but I haven't loaded the OS yet). I bought 2 x ASUS Strix 1080's to run in SLI mode for one machine. Second machine got a single ASUS Strix 1070. I also bought an ASUS Strix 1060 for another machine needing a Video Upgrade. 😛

For the SLI rig, I got the special SLI Bridge to use. And I bought an ASUS P348Q Monitor for the rig with the SLI cards. It should be interesting to see how it all works out. Right now Canada Computers has a sale on the P348Q for 400 bucks off. I'm thinking about getting a second one tomorrow before the sale ends. :D:D

No I ain't rich but I just inherited a big bag of money so it's shopping time for hardware... :cool::cool::cool:
Gaming Rig #1

- ASUS ROG Swift PG3480Q Monitor
- Thermaltake Level 10 GT
- Asus Maximus VIII Hero
- Intel 6700K Processor
- ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5 X 2 SLI
- G.Skill 32 GB RAM
- Western Digital Velociraptor 150GB Hard Drive x 4
- Seagate 2 TB Drive
- Creative Sound Blaster ZX
- ASUS Storage BW-16D1HT Blu-Ray Writer