cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hang on new BIOS (Maximus VIII HERO BIOS 2202)

Brewskie
Level 7
I updated to ver 2202 BIOS and the system hangs on Q-Code 64 and an orange error light.

I tried to revert to an earlier BIOS but I get this message.

"The model of the BIOS image doesn't match the BIOS ROM currently present."

Any ideas?

edit

I should add that the system doesn't freeze. It hangs for an extended period and continues on.

It takes about 15 to 20 minutes for the system to get into Windows
10 REPLIES 10

Legolas
Level 9
What is the exact model#? You have to get the correct and official Asus BIOS to update the BIOS.
Sincerely,
Legolas

Legolas wrote:
What is the exact model#? You have to get the correct and official Asus BIOS to update the BIOS.

Sorry

I added the model info in my profile that's linked under my nickname

It's the Maximus VIII Hero

Chino
Level 15
Is there anything particular that you're looking for with the 2202 BIOS? If not, you can always use the USB BIOS Flashback procedure to downgrade your BIOS back to the most stable revision for your system.

Chino wrote:
Is there anything particular that you're looking for with the 2202 BIOS? If not, you can always use the USB BIOS Flashback procedure to downgrade your BIOS back to the most stable revision for your system.

I've tried to use the flashback utility but it only looks for a newer BIOS, rather than letting me revert

I've looked through the manual and couldn't find a "procedure" to do this.

What am I missing?

EZ-Flash you flash when in bios, flashback method only requires power to the board, copy unzipped bios to FAT 32 formatted USB stick, rename to M8H, put in the bios flashback USB port on I/O panel and press bios flashback button on I/O panel until it starts flashing, it takes around 90 seconds to stop flashing, the system is not booted so you cannot see anything on your monitor, instructions are in manual
Does it do this on default settings? out of curiosity, what is the model of your memory kit, I had one of the early 16GB Gskill 3600mhz kits that was very finicky trying to run at rated speed, never really stable, I let 2 other experienced people try that kit with same results

Menthol wrote:
EZ-Flash you flash when in bios, flashback method only requires power to the board, copy unzipped bios to FAT 32 formatted USB stick, rename to M8H, put in the bios flashback USB port on I/O panel and press bios flashback button on I/O panel until it starts flashing, it takes around 90 seconds to stop flashing, the system is not booted so you cannot see anything on your monitor, instructions are in manual
Does it do this on default settings? out of curiosity, what is the model of your memory kit, I had one of the early 16GB Gskill 3600mhz kits that was very finicky trying to run at rated speed, never really stable, I let 2 other experienced people try that kit with same results

I finally got the BIOS to a previous state and the problem remains.

My bet is that it's the RAM so I ordered new sticks with a slower rating to see if that will fix it.

I'll post here with the results in a few days.

Thanks for your help guys!

I haven't even gotten the new RAM in yet and the system started working correctly last night...out of the blue

I don't get how it would suddenly start working, but there it is

I'll hang on to the extra memory in case something comes up and I need it.

Thanks for your help!

:cool:

Menthol
Level 14
As Chino says, bios flashback procedure will work downgrading a bios version, does your system do this on default bios settings or did you use the settings from the previous bios version, whenever you change bios versions the same settings as before may not work, out of curiosity what model number on the memory kit, I had a Gskill 3600mhz kit when they first released them and had a very difficult time running them at the listed speed, I let 2 other experienced overclockers try that kit and they had the same results, a very finicky kit of RAM

Menthol wrote:
As Chino says, bios flashback procedure will work downgrading a bios version, does your system do this on default bios settings or did you use the settings from the previous bios version, whenever you change bios versions the same settings as before may not work, out of curiosity what model number on the memory kit, I had a Gskill 3600mhz kit when they first released them and had a very difficult time running them at the listed speed, I let 2 other experienced overclockers try that kit and they had the same results, a very finicky kit of RAM

The memory are...

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800)

I've removed possible causes to this problem, such as removing all SSD/HDDs and trying different graphics cards.