cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74 image quality

MadDridder
Level 7
Hello gamers!

I own a G74Sx TZ105V and I have a question concerning the quality of the videos I watch on my laptop. I tried a DVD, a bluray, several different DivX but the image quality is always (very) poor. I mean, it's not clean, the shapes are blurry and in dark scenes you can see big pixels like a bad streaming video. On a bloody DVD?! What's wrong with my G74? Has someone experienced the same problem or is it just that the suposedly full HD screen is sh*t?
14 REPLIES 14

dstrakele
Level 14
What application are you using to play your DVD's and Blu-Ray discs? I'd recommend trying the trial of PowerDVD 11 Ultra if you haven't already.

DPC Latency could possibly be contributing to your issue. Get DPC Latency Checker from the link in the OP of the "Drivers, Apps, and How-to's" thread and read how to use it on the download page. A good driver to start with is the Atheros Wireless Network Adaptier driver (if you have that card on your system). The Atheros driver version that ships with ASUS laptops has notoriously bad DPC Latency. Upgrade it to version 9.2.1.432 or later.

They may be other drivers that contribute to latency on your system.

What is the "Hardware Ids" of your display from the "Details" tab of the display Properties in Device Manager?

What Antivirus and AntiMalware software have you installed to your system?

I've also seen another thread discussing poor image quality of still images: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?6676-g74sx-Color-depth-reduced-software-problem-or-hardware... This particular issue has proven difficult to resolve.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

I use vlc for the regular videos (I tried with Windows Media Player, nothing changed), and Roxio CinePlayer for blurays.

I've updated my WLAN drivers yesterday, it solved in-game lags but my films look the same. It's not that they lag, audio and video are fluid, it's just the definition of the image, as if I could see big pixels. My graphics driver for my GeForce GTX560M (3GB) are updated.

I use AVG and CCleaner.

The hardware id of my display is MONITOR\CMO1726 (I think, because my windows is in french and I'm not really the computer guy ^^)

Anyway thanks for the answer!

You're sure that it's a full HD (1920x1080) display panel? I ask, because what you're describing actually sounds like the disappointing image quality of Asus' HD+ displays. Is it only videos that look bad...the desktop, etc., look nice and crisp?

If you're sure it's full HD, think some settings must be off, because the G74's full HD display is really quite good. Have you changed any of the nVidia driver's default settings?

I downloaded DPC latency checker and all is green, even when I watch a video.

I thought that 1920*1080 was full HD resolution, maybe I'm mistaken, anyway it's my current resolution. And yes, dekstop looks perfect, so does Battlefield 3. The only thing I changed in nvidia drivers settings is the V-sync.

BrodyBoy
Level 10
I don't know what settings would account for the deteriorated video performance. If it were me, I guess I would try re-installing the nVidia driver, using the clean installation option to clear the settings and revert to defaults.

Are you watching the video in battery save mode(plugged in or not)? If so try performance mode this worked for me .

dstrakele
Level 14
+1 @g53ok Power saving modes could allow the processor to slip into a state where image quality is compromised for the sake of saving electricity.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Chalk up another one for P4G......

No it's not the power saving mode, I always use my laptop in high performance mode, plugged in. I tried in entertainment mode, nothing changed.

BrodyBoy how do you use the clean installation option of the graphics driver?

oh, just remembered, I never used Asus Live Update, launched at every boot, so I never updated stuff (I read somewhere that updating the bios might create problems so I never touched it: http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/539/screenib.jpg). Should I do it? 🙂

Thank you all for your answers!