cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

documentation on Asus ROG GL502VS Website Driver Update Frequency Policy?

danrdz1977
Level 7
I am totally new to OEM Gpus and to Asus ROG laptops. I have the basic GL502VS.

what is the standard practice including delay for ASus to update Nvidia drivers?

As I can see, the latest in the Asus Support website is almost four months old. this seems a bit too late only because Nvidia has been kind of paranoic in how they update drivers to fit specific games.

is there a written policy or anyone can venture a "historical" average for how frequent Asus ROG updates drivers?

I am on the verge of deciding whether to keep this laptop or return it; battery life is laughable (Yet I am new to serios gaming latops), so if on top I cannot get latest drivers....
7 REPLIES 7

Praz
Level 13
Hello

I'm not sure why you would not download the video drivers directly from the source regardless of the brand of laptop owned.

Praz wrote:
Hello

I'm not sure why you would not download the video drivers directly from the source regardless of the brand of laptop owned.

thanks. well I wished I could but GeForce Software says "up to date" and if I try to force it, and directly install the latest driver from Nvidia, it says "suitable GPU not detected" (paraphrasing).

if I donwload the Nvidia self-detect Java add-on says something like "you have an OEM specific GPU, go to your Manuf for divers"

am I to understand and that most people in these forums get drivers from Nvidia directly?

JustinThyme
Level 13
First create a restore point.
Then download DDU HERE
Then from the Nvidia site enter your hardware specs. AKA GTX 1070 if that it what you have and enter the OS and it will give you the list to download from. Skip the latest 375.95, its buggy. 375.70 seems to be working.

Then install and run DDU and select reboot to safe mode. It will reboot your machine into safe mode. Select remove and restart, it will remove all traces of the drivers,
Then on reboot install the new driver and that should take care of it.

I have always gone directly to Nvidias site for Nvidia graphics drivers. For intel drivers I get them directly from Intel be it the wireless drivers or the IRST drivers. They always have the most current up to date versions. Matter of fact the only drivers I get from ASUS site are those that are specific only to the machine and cannot be obtained elsewhere. I dont have the GTX 1070 and this is the first time a non mobile GPU has been put into ASUS laptops so I dont know if they have a specific set that makes it work only on ASUS boards. If that is the case then you are stick with what they provide.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
First create a restore point.
Then download DDU HERE
Then from the Nvidia site enter your hardware specs. AKA GTX 1070 if that it what you have and enter the OS and it will give you the list to download from. Skip the latest 375.95, its buggy. 375.70 seems to be working.

Then install and run DDU and select reboot to safe mode. It will reboot your machine into safe mode. Select remove and restart, it will remove all traces of the drivers,
Then on reboot install the new driver and that should take care of it.

I have always gone directly to Nvidias site for Nvidia graphics drivers. For intel drivers I get them directly from Intel be it the wireless drivers or the IRST drivers. They always have the most current up to date versions. Matter of fact the only drivers I get from ASUS site are those that are specific only to the machine and cannot be obtained elsewhere. I dont have the GTX 1070 and this is the first time a non mobile GPU has been put into ASUS laptops so I dont know if they have a specific set that makes it work only on ASUS boards. If that is the case then you are stick with what they provide.

Sorry for my poor English.
I'm have same laptop and same problem. It's really bad .
I'm try DDU and clean reg and try again install drivers from official page nVidia latest version (376.09) and previous (for laptop and desktop version), but it's doesn't work - install with error - "suitable GPU not detected".
I think ASUS really did bad thing - they built this laptop on special OEM GPU 1070, and need wait update official driver from ASUS or making something with latest driver from nVidia official page...
Why need game laptop without actual video driver? What this? :mad:

JustinThyme
Level 13
Dont be too angry with it. Thing is its a one of a kind application. I dont have one and cant find a tear down but looks like the components are built into the main board, not a mini GFX card that is changeable. That being said it may take only a specific driver set as the GPU cannot be seen past the MOBO controller. Nice info to know for others. I passed on the G752VS for pretty much reasons like this. Once AI saw all the review of the furnace qualities of an extremely hot machine that was all I needed. I was waiting for the XG2 to be released so I could just connect a 1080 via thunderbolt to my G752VY. That was promised Q2 2016 and Q4 is nearly over. I moved on and decided to blow the wad on a desktop build that gets deeper by the week.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

BurlaMatto
Level 7
Hi,
maybe it's me but installing a generic driver fron nvidia site (as someone said, not the latest one) causes a massive drop in fps (games and benchmark 3dmark)..it seems that the vga isn't used at maximun power but only at half. Instead with the official ones the performance of the notebook is good...so we have to wait for asus to release newer drivers i think 😞

Regards

Oh no , I just ordered this laptop, can it game on ultra ? I plan on upgrading my pc soon but I'd like to game on my laptop till the CPU and board get released and let's me take my time to build . I thought this should be half decent as the way they talk about it. .: Sigh :.