cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My two Asus GTX 1080's wont run in SLI

prostheticAIM
Level 7
I have purchased 2 Asus ROG Strix 1080's from Scorptec and I believe one of them is faulty as I cannot run them in SLI I have tried everything under the sun each card works individually in each slot but as soon as i enable SLI black screen then system crashes and reboots.

Things I Have Tried
- Different Motherboard and CPU
- New and old graphics drivers and motherboard bios
- Different power supply
- fresh OS
- Underclocking
- Different SLI bridges

Same result everytime, im at my wits end as i just spent $2400 and it doesnt work, I bought 1 Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 8G then a month later was going to buy another but they dont stock it anymore, did some research and i can run 2 different editions in SLI as long as same family and will just run at lower clock so I had to buy the Advanced one Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 A8G.

*Help me please my profile has my current build.
5 REPLIES 5

Menthol
Level 14
If your system is running OK no-sli with both cards installed they should work in sli and we can help get you there, you will have one caveat, with your Intel 750 drive installed your video cards will run at PCIE 3.0X16 and X8, both will not run at X16, first what slats are your GPU's and Intel 750 installed

Video cards in pcieX16 slots 1 and 3, Intel 750, slot #4
Both video cards must be showing if you can select sli so I assume both cards are working but to test 1 card at a time connect monitor to top card, disable second card using pcie lane switches at top right of motherboard, run some 3D tests, either benchmarks or games, then move monitor cable to second card and disable top card using pcie lane switches and test the second card, make sure computer is turned off when disabling/enabling pcie lane switches
If both video cards function as intended enable both cards, install sli bridge, need HB bridge for sli on Pascal
enable sli and wait, it may take several minutes of the screen flashing on and off, a courser may appear but eventually screen will come on normal and sli will function, I was benching 4 Pascal cards and I gave up myself, then I went outside and smoked a cigarette and came back inside to see my desktop, i don't suggest smoking a cigarette, just walk away for a couple minutes

Please let us know how you are getting along

Hey Menthol,

I hope I am able to get this working I have spent many weeks trying everything I can find on the net.

Both GPU's work fine individually, when enabling SLI the I get the GPU Processing symbol flickers black then a low-resolution cursor flickers black again then after 1-minute system reboots.

So I Have a 40 lane CPU I should be able to run both GPU's at 16X and the SSD at 8X = 40 lanes that are also what the Rampage board sets automatically
(Slot numbers referringFl to your diagram)
PCI Slot 1 - ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1080 8G
PCI Slot 4 - ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1080 A8G
PCI Slot 3 - 750 SSD
ASUS ROG HB SLI Bridge

I will do some more benches on the cards individually and post in an hour

ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1080 A8G and ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1080 8G

Heini
Level 11
Have you test and confirmed the "ASUS ROG HB SLI Bridge" is good?

Menthol
Level 14
That may be a HB bridge at the time but not the latest HB bridge for Pascal, in the nvidia control panel is there a warning that the bridge is not compatible (I think the yellow !)?
When you click to enable sli your screen should flicker, go black for just long enough for you to think it won't work then the screen should come back without rebooting and show sli enabled in the nvidia control panel, I will take some screenshots tomorrow and post here, I don't have 2 of the same model 1080's, I have several TXP's that I need to remove water blocks and put the factory heatsink back on before I can put them on my RV-E10