cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG G751JY external graphic card possibilities/options?

SamuelFDias
Level 7
Hello there my rog fellows.

I'm here because, i own a fantastic ROG G751JY 🙂 but recently came to my mind "What if I could use a desktop graphics card in my laptop?". Well surprisingly, I found that maybe there is a solution (or not)...

Since my knowledge is not the best I what to ask you some questions, is the ROG G751JY capable of using one of the existant products in the market to use external Graphic Card? If yes witch one(s)? If no there is a easy solution? or there is a solution at all?

Sorry for my english, since that is not my main language,
And thank you in advance.
7 REPLIES 7

Bill
Level 7
Hello
I think the closest product that matches your needs is the ROG XG Station 2
But since the SPECs are still unavailable yet, we don't have information on the compatibility
Please stay tuned to our websites and social media, thank you

I have read that the ROG XG Station 2 will only support Thunderbolt ™ 3, is it possible that it will support Thunderbolt ™ 2? Because until today I don't know if my RoG G751JY have a 2 or 3 Thunderbolt port. Can someone clarify me about that?

One other question if my Asus have a Thunderbolt™ 2 port can I use a adapter, Thunderbolt™ 3 to Thunderbolt™ 2 ? Will it work?

Any tips?

Only using something like PE4C V4.1. It requires some modding. Dont' know if its worth it. Its easyer to buy second hand desktop and a new GPU.

Jon_G
Level 10
Your G751 has Thunderbolt 2, not Thunderbolt 3. I never heard of a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter cable but if they ever start making them, (which I doubt) it should work. We can only hope the new ASUS ROG XG Station 2 will also support Thunderbolt 2 as well as Thunderbolt 3,
if not us G751 owners are out of luck.

If the ASUS ROG XG Station 2 supports thunderbolt 2.... man i probably don´t mind to spend what money they ask for it....
I have high hopes for a thunderbolt 2 support 🙂 if not... probably Ill need to search some way to mod the laptop my self.

Btw, I found this akitio thunder2 pcie box. This looks promissing but Im not sure if it works outside of "Mac world".

Did anyone tried with a Asus pc or something?