cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Those who run 64GB RAM on the G752VL

Odysseus_
Level 7
Maxing out the RAM in my G752VL to 64GB. It's a primary editing rig. Before dropping the $$ and making a costly error, is there anyone out there who has the same model laptop that installed 64GB or RAM with zero issues? If so,

what brand and specs on the RAM aside from DDR4 2133? EEC/NON EEC, Buffered/Unbuffered voltage, ect...

Thank you kindly. Saw a previous post on this issue but it was moved or deleted.

Odysseus
ASUS G752VL -- i7 6700HQ -- GTX 965M -- 64GB DDR4 -- Windows 10 64 bit -- Editing Platform
7 REPLIES 7

JustinThyme
Level 13
Dont have it on a VL but have 64GB on a VY.

Runs this like a charm. Alternately if you already have 2 16 gig sticks and dont want to take the machine apart you can add either the Hynix thats in it or the Samsung thats an exact match, same components, different market.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232162

Bottom line, restrictions in the build wont let it past 2400Mhz. Already tried.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

New on the forum but spent most of the last 24 hours reading, specifically, your posts on a multitude of potentially complicated issues. Clearly, you are quite knowledgeable. More importantly, you are a exemplary written communicator. Hard to come by. Appreciate.

I do indeed plan to go full “Gas Monkey” and replace the existing RAM (12GB) with two of the four 16GB sticks. To be clear, are you recommending the RAM in the link that you sent in your reply? If so, then thank you kindly for your time. I look forward learning from your posts.

Are the two 512GB Samsung 960 pro's your running in a RAID 0 configuration your boot drive???

Thanks,

Odysseus
ASUS G752VL -- i7 6700HQ -- GTX 965M -- 64GB DDR4 -- Windows 10 64 bit -- Editing Platform

64GB ram on my earlier G752VS and it worked as it should.

Odysseus* wrote:
New on the forum but spent most of the last 24 hours reading, specifically, your posts on a multitude of potentially complicated issues. Clearly, you are quite knowledgeable. More importantly, you are a exemplary written communicator. Hard to come by. Appreciate.

I do indeed plan to go full “Gas Monkey” and replace the existing RAM (12GB) with two of the four 16GB sticks. To be clear, are you recommending the RAM in the link that you sent in your reply? If so, then thank you kindly for your time. I look forward learning from your posts.

Are the two 512GB Samsung 960 pro's your running in a RAID 0 configuration your boot drive???

Thanks,

Odysseus

Thats what I have in my G752VY and it works perfectly. If you look at any asus product the single biggest approved vendor is Gskill.

The 960s pros in my sig are still not here! Waiting patiently. Those are going in my desktop.
I do however have two 512GB 950 pros in raid 0 as my boot drive in my G752VY and intend on doing the same with the 960s when they get here in my dekstop.

The read gain wasnt all the much going from single drive to raid 0, went form 2500MB/s to 2900MB/s but the write speeds went from 1200MB/s to 2400MB/s. Im thinking Ive maxed on the bandwidth on the alloted PCIe lanes for the M2 slots.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Yea, that RAID 0 config with the NVMe's must be a screamer. Since the speed/performance boost is not that significant (if I read you correctly), I am likely to just fill them both using one for the OS and various related file matters and the other for a media storage drive. Looking forward to that day as I continue to build this rig.

On another matter, I recieved my 64GB of RAM today, printed a copy of the step by step "RAM Under Keyboard Replacement" guide and dove in deep. Ran into ZERO mechanical problems on the tear down and install:cool: and got all four sticks installed. However, the system only shows 32GB of RAM installed. Imagined that i might get somthing silly like that after the build so I was deliberately careful in setting the under-keyboard RAM. Going to reseat everything one more time just for ucks and giggles. Any thoughts: BIOS settings maybe???

Thanks guys.

Odysseus

Greetings.

Seems I jumped the gun on my last post. All is well and the four sticks registered correctly after I reset all of them. It only took 10 minutes flat to disassemble, install and reassemble everything the second time around. Thanks again. The build continues...

Odysseus

JustinThyme
Level 13
Good luck! Funny how easy it gets to pop the top off once you get a little practice at it.
You do get double the speed on the writes with the NVMe in Raid 0 and 400MB/s gain on the read isnt nil but not what I was expecting, doubled the write speed though. Nothing that says you cant partition the raid 0 array and set aside room for storage. Time I got mine filled up with apps and the 10% left unpartioned for overprovisiong I have it half full and a 1TB 850 EVO where the 7200 RPM NGST was.