cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS GTX 1080 Strix O8C and Maximus Hero VII POST Problem

Nickba
Level 7
Hi,

I have an Asus GTX1080 O8C and a Maximus Hero VII and I am having some random GPU not present beeps, followed by a black screen during post. When this happens, I usually press reset or turn off the machine and turn on again. After it boots, there is no problem at all!!

Any tips of what could it be?
14 REPLIES 14

Chino wrote:
Reseat your GPU.

Thanks for replying Chino.*Tried that and same results. Seems like some sort of Bios setting or compatibility? As when it passes POST everything works fine. Any other tips?

JustinThyme
Level 13
See whats enabled as default display in the BIOS.
Which slot do you have it in?
Is the PCIe configured correctly?

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
See whats enabled as default display in the BIOS.
Which slot do you have it in?
Is the PCIe configured correctly?

Thanks for replying Justin. Display is set to auto. It is in closest slot to the CPU. What would be the correct configuration for the PCIe?

Menthol
Level 14
Nickba,
Please list full system specs, all hardware and peripherals attached
Double check your power cable connections, and again how your card is inserted, I have had some cases that didn't allow the video card to be fully seated without some minor bending, these issues usually turn out to be quite simmple

Menthol wrote:
Nickba,
Please list full system specs, all hardware and peripherals attached
Double check your power cable connections, and again how your card is inserted, I have had some cases that didn't allow the video card to be fully seated without some minor bending, these issues usually turn out to be quite simmple

Thanks for replying Menthol.

It is a Maximus Hero VII with an I7 4790K processor, 16GB of ram and the GTX 1080 O8C is the only installed card. 700W OCZ power supply.
Double checked every connection. As I told, I can let the computer running for days using stress software like intel XTU or graphics stress test. The only problem happens sometimes during post and I get the video card problem beeps, I just press reset and it passes post. I think if it was a bad connection problem it would fail during system operation, don't you think?

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
What is the exact model of your power supply? And how long have you had it?

Hi. It is an OCZ ModXtream Pro 700W. I think it is not the power supply as I also have a GTX580 Lightning Xtreme Edition and it consumes way more power than the GTX1080 and works ok.

I got the same exact problem, Originally I got Maximus Formula VIII but sent it back for RMA and bought a temporary MoBo which is an Asus H110M D - D3 (6th gen board with DDR3 support). Now the problem starts here, Every time my unit is turned on. It always fail to POST with just black screen and stays there, It will boot only if you reset the system and boots to windows just fine. Also when this reaches to windows it will stutter most of the times even on simply clicking and opening folders, This also produces cracking noises when you use HDMI audio. I tried researching and even contacted Nvidia support since the problem only aggravates when the Nvidia Driver is installed (Tried version 365 hotfix - latest w/ no avail) and this seems to be an ongoing issue to a subset of user's to those who has Pasal based GPU's. If you check system processes "system interrupt" is causing to much percentage on the CPU even on idle. It will also show on the system monitor for CPU that it will spike to 100% most of the time and this is when the cracking noise and stuttering begins. It shows that when my 1060 Strix is seated it causes to much DPC latency. I did try to clean install Windows w/o avail. Tried as well my old GPU which is an R7 200 but is working great. So I was assuming that it could be possible that its a hardware issue so I went back to the retailer and brought my unit (MoBo, RAM, CPU, SDD only) with me for check up. First, They tried the GPU on a 3 year old Gigabyte MoBo w/ an outdated BIOS but is working fine without problems, Then they tested it on my unit using there own PSU Silverstone 700W, If you are curious as to what my PSU was its an Antec 620W HCG but shows the same issue so definitely not a PSU problem. They tried using there own RAM but has the same issue. Opened a new 1060 Strix but shows the same issue, Even tried 1070 strix and 1080 and definitely shows the same manifestations. Then to rule out that its not a MoBo issue they opened a brand new MoBo from there stocks and tested again the Pascal cards and still shows the same issue. So we found out that there was nothing wrong with the MoBo or either my GPU. My BIOS version is 2001 and is the latest one available. Again does not seem to be a BIOS issue since older BIOS works when tested on a 3rd GEN Gigabyte MoBo w/ Dual core CPU ,but this could be fixed on a new BIOS update if the back end engineers from Nvidia would somehow Identify and solve this issue. Though they are now letting affected users to fill a survey for a full system specs so that they could Investigate. It could be the MoBo BIOS or GPU BIOS but I am not sure. , I am not an expert and just speculating. I ended up upgrading what I bought from 1060 to 1070 and paid the price difference and will just wait for my MF8 Instead. Please note that based from online forums this is not specific to Asus 1xxx series only , this is also happening from other brands of GPU and also other models of MoBo. This is hard to isolate since this is not happening to everyone. Just sharing 🙂 Hope this helps. More Power ROG'ers.