cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG GL502VM Touchpad audiable clunk noise

Josh348
Level 7
Hi, I just bought my new Strix model off newegg.

There seems to be a loose touchpad because of the noise very much like this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un6TSK0RCxQ
Is this normal for this kind of laptop touchpad? or should I return this ASAP? the pad works fine otherwise although if this is a defect than i feel a bit cheated by an $1800 poor design.

Thanks.
9 REPLIES 9

Bill
Level 7
Hello Josh348
If you are not sure what to do, I would suggest to return the unit and and ask for a replacement if you can
Thank you

Hello

Good day.

I bought a new laptop last July 22, 2017 here in Dubai. To my surprise, I encountered very concerning events as below:

1. When I used my newly bought laptop, it prompted me to register the unit. So when I tried to register it, an error popped up saying something like "..the serial number is already registered" where in fact I have just tried for the first time to register it. Further, when I browse my newly made asus account, i found out under the "my product menu" that the serial number was already there listed but the model number is FX502VM and the date of purchased is on July 21, 2017. I complained it with the store where I bought it and they advised me to contact the service center here. Accordingly, the service center is telling me that there must be some sort of a server error. And they even said that I might entered the wrong date of which I was sure that the system date of the laptop plus the encoded date during my first time registering attempt is July 22, 2017. So, the service center just told me to visit the center in order to check the laptop and assure me that it is not a refurbished one by just scanning the barcode and checking few of the connected parts like hard disk, etc. and comparing it in the actual laptop. So that time I just accepted it but telling them to resolve the issue why it happened that my serial number was already registered and the wrong model number and date of purchased.

2. After a few weeks, my roommate commented that my touchpad is noisy, especially when tapping it (observed August 11, 2017). I have not observed it since I am using always a headset plus I'm frequently using mouse instead of touchpad. So I brought again to the service center for them to check last August 13, 2017. By August 16, 2017, the service center technician called me and informed that he tried to replace the pad but it is still having clunky noise. He even told me that he tried to replace the keyboard as he suspect it might be the cause of the clunky noise/sound but still the issue persists. So I told him that I will just take back the unit. When I reach the center, he showed me two other laptops of the same model to demonstrate that they have quite similar issue. So they told me that if I want, I can choose from the other two laptops which has a minimal noise. But since that is not my goal, I decline. My point here is that, by today, I went to some other malls to check and found out in JUMBO store a similar model to my laptop and have no clunky sound. I have a video of that however, I don't know how to upload.

In view of the above, I would like to know if somebody has similar issues and how you can help me. I invested on this machine because by specs it is very good. however, because of the above issues, it seems that the service center of ASUS is not even that technical competent to solve the problem even the no. 2 issue which only needs to be solved by actually checking a new touchpad not connected yet in a laptop if it has a clunky sound. Plus they are only showing another laptop of which I don't know if it is a brand new since it is already out of the box when they compared it. My point only here is justice for my money. They will not even want to replace me with new unit since the second complaint is already past 7days from the date of purchase. And for the first issue, they are also hesitant to replace that time. They even said that what if I want replacement, but the same thing happened that the serial number is already registered what will I do.

Any help on the above would be highly appreciated.

Falcon2_ROG
Customer Service Agent
itags wrote:
Hello

Good day.

I bought a new laptop last July 22, 2017 here in Dubai. To my surprise, I encountered very concerning events as below:

1. When I used my newly bought laptop, it prompted me to register the unit. So when I tried to register it, an error popped up saying something like "..the serial number is already registered" where in fact I have just tried for the first time to register it. Further, when I browse my newly made asus account, i found out under the "my product menu" that the serial number was already there listed but the model number is FX502VM and the date of purchased is on July 21, 2017. I complained it with the store where I bought it and they advised me to contact the service center here. Accordingly, the service center is telling me that there must be some sort of a server error. And they even said that I might entered the wrong date of which I was sure that the system date of the laptop plus the encoded date during my first time registering attempt is July 22, 2017. So, the service center just told me to visit the center in order to check the laptop and assure me that it is not a refurbished one by just scanning the barcode and checking few of the connected parts like hard disk, etc. and comparing it in the actual laptop. So that time I just accepted it but telling them to resolve the issue why it happened that my serial number was already registered and the wrong model number and date of purchased.

2. After a few weeks, my roommate commented that my touchpad is noisy, especially when tapping it (observed August 11, 2017). I have not observed it since I am using always a headset plus I'm frequently using mouse instead of touchpad. So I brought again to the service center for them to check last August 13, 2017. By August 16, 2017, the service center technician called me and informed that he tried to replace the pad but it is still having clunky noise. He even told me that he tried to replace the keyboard as he suspect it might be the cause of the clunky noise/sound but still the issue persists. So I told him that I will just take back the unit. When I reach the center, he showed me two other laptops of the same model to demonstrate that they have quite similar issue. So they told me that if I want, I can choose from the other two laptops which has a minimal noise. But since that is not my goal, I decline. My point here is that, by today, I went to some other malls to check and found out in JUMBO store a similar model to my laptop and have no clunky sound. I have a video of that however, I don't know how to upload.

In view of the above, I would like to know if somebody has similar issues and how you can help me. I invested on this machine because by specs it is very good. however, because of the above issues, it seems that the service center of ASUS is not even that technical competent to solve the problem even the no. 2 issue which only needs to be solved by actually checking a new touchpad not connected yet in a laptop if it has a clunky sound. Plus they are only showing another laptop of which I don't know if it is a brand new since it is already out of the box when they compared it. My point only here is justice for my money. They will not even want to replace me with new unit since the second complaint is already past 7days from the date of purchase. And for the first issue, they are also hesitant to replace that time. They even said that what if I want replacement, but the same thing happened that the serial number is already registered what will I do.

Any help on the above would be highly appreciated.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused, please send me a PM with the following information and I'll have this rectified for you as soon as possible.

Product S/N (previous and current):
Previous RMA#:
Previous Case ID#:

Thanks.

OnePiece@ASUS wrote:
I apologize for the inconvenience caused, please send me a PM with the following information and I'll have this rectified for you as soon as possible.

Product S/N (previous and current):
Previous RMA#:
Previous Case ID#:

Thanks.

Dear Onepiece,

Still no response, update or feedback received from ASUS.

itags wrote:
Further, when I browse my newly made asus account, i found out under the "my product menu" that the serial number was already there listed but the model number is FX502VM and the date of purchased is on July 21, 2017.

A GL502VM is an FX502VM, just an upgraded version for gamers.

eleiyas wrote:
a gl502vm is an fx502vm, just an upgraded version for gamers.

how can gl502vm equal to fx502vm. You said it yourself that it is an upgrade, hence it has a unique name of its own. Thanks for the wise comment.

Hi. I just bought this PC 7 days ago. Besides the clunk noise, the touchpad has a really noticeable delay. I mean, the time between I move my finger until the cursor moves is really high, making it really stressful and uncomfortable. This happens all the time: moving, scrolling and zooming (zooming is specially a hell). I reinstalled the drivers (ATK, Asus Precision Touchpad...), Windows too, then I updated it, but the problem is still there. I talked to Asus Support but they simply told me to return it. They offered to repair it too, but from what I have read, they only make it worse. Also, I read the reviews where I bought it and I'm not the only one who have this issue. And not only with this model, but also with the big majority of ROG gaming PCs (GLXXX... and others) has similar issues with the touchpad (because they have pretty much the same exterior design).

So, does anyone have a solution? I really like this PC but it bothers me a lot.

link626
Level 7
that clunky noise is due to the gap between the metal bracket and click pad with the clicker in the middle. I notice a lot of asus laptops have that.
Even my gl502vm has it. The gl702 has it.
They can't make every laptop with the exact same gap tolerance.

The simplest, most time saving solution is to open up your laptop, and put some paper in the gap where it rattles. The clunking will be gone.

Just unplug the battery, unscrew the battery, and you'll see the trackpad. then put the paper in the gap, and tape it secure.

Save yourself the RMA headache, because almost all asus trackpads will have this rattle when you tap it.
You'll probably need to open 5 out of every 6 boxes to find one that doesn't have a clunk/rattle.

and it's a simple fix. Hidden away, you'll never know there's a piece of paper there.
Bonus, the click buttons are also muffled a little.

See my video
https://youtu.be/_aeZ8vNMLH0

link626 wrote:
that clunky noise is due to the gap between the metal bracket and click pad with the clicker in the middle. I notice a lot of asus laptops have that.
Even my gl502vm has it. The gl702 has it.
They can't make every laptop with the exact same gap tolerance.
You'll probably need to open 5 out of every 6 boxes to find one that doesn't have a clunk/rattle.

And it's a simple fix. Hidden away, you'll never know there's a piece of paper there.
Bonus, the click buttons are also muffled a little.

See my video
The simplest, most time saving solution is to open up your laptop, and put some paper in the gap where it rattles. The clunking will be gone.

Just unplug the battery, unscrew the battery, and you'll see the trackpad. Then put the paper in the gap, and tape it secure.

Save yourself the rma headache, because almost all asus trackpads will have this rattle when you tap it.

https://youtu.be/_aez8vnmlh0

you just simply accept the issue because you dont know about what is quality. A laptop of this price tag have a clunky touchpad? And you said due to the gap. So it is very clear that asus have some quality problem with regard to their manufacturing. Hence, they should be held acccountable for selling a laptop with a problematic touchpad.