cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer boots some of the time.

accelo
Level 7
Hello
Trying to get my new Crosshair V Formula Z build going.

CPU:AMD FX-8320 FX-Series 8-Core Black Edition
MOBO: ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z Serial # CCM0BX208207
PSU: EVGA Corsair HX 750
Desktop Memory:
Two G.SKILL AEGIS 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model F3-1333C9D-16GIS

This has been driving me nuts. It will boot just fine once in a while. The computer appears to boot with everything but video. My monitor's led light stays red, when ever it changes state to blue my computer will boot. I have tried another know good video card with the same fault. Seems to have the highest chance of booting after it has been left in the corner for a few days. So I have upgraded the bios chip from the eBay vendor. I have pulled every component, including the CPU and checked for bent tangs and any other issue.
I have swapped memory slots and attempted to use only one stick. I have confirmed the power supply is hooked up to all the plugs on the MB. (three in this case)
The wattage of the PS should be adequate as I am only running one V-Card. The board seems to boot as the lights on the mouse and keyboard come on and the HD light blinks. I end up with two errors. The Boot device light is on and the Q code is displaying the number 66. I have pulled the battery and reinstalled the memory and the HD and then reinstalled the battery. Of course it booted after that. I restarted it a couple times and all was well. Then next time the computer was started it failed to boot and displays the same faults. Bus Support for the GTX 550 Ti is PCI-E 2.0 x16. The MB lists support for this card as slot one, this is where the card is located. Although I have tried other slots.
Any ideas? I am pulling my hair out and in reallity don't have much left to pull. 🙂
Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.
Rick
2 REPLIES 2

Legolas
Level 9
Code 66 is a CPU DXE initialization is started. Did you try reseating the CPU? Did you overclock the CPU? Did you try running as stock? Does it happen in normal speed mode?
Sincerely,
Legolas

Have you tried a different outlet (like if you are on a surge bar, plugging it directly into the wall)? And have you tried turning the monitor / TV off and on again (having some trouble myself with RX480s + 4K monitors / TVs sometimes not playing nice)?