cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to check if pci express slot is working or not

wollax
Level 7
Hi to all, I installed a SLI configuration with 2 strix 1080 advanced model replacing 2 strix 970, and I am facing a strange problem. Old 970 SLI always worked perfectly, the 2 new 1080 worked correctly for about an hour, and now I got the second one on slot 4 pciexpress 16/8_3 not recognized in bios and obvioulsy SLI config in windows 10 is gone !
Vga card on slot 16/8_3 seems to start correctly, led on power plug are on, "moving" it on its slot I got it boot for a couple of times, I think it could be the mainboard and not the card, is there any tool to check if the slot/mainboard is working correctly ?
I put all in watercooling and I cannot easily move the vga card on another slot .... or exchange it with the 1st one to see if it works! I will do it for sure but I wanted to try some different checks if possible.....
Any help would be appreciated.
thanks to everyone.

I
4 REPLIES 4

Nate152
Hi wollax

Sorry to hear you're having issues, as far as I know the only way to tell if it's the pcie slot or the gpu is to try both gpu's in the first pcie slot.

I know it's a pain when water cooling but this will tell you for sure.

thanks for reply !
I used it yesterday night with one strix 1080, the 2nd inside but not recognized, this morning at boot I got a new surprise, system goes to the AA status code and seems to boot, but I have vga red led on, black screen no signal at all, it seems also the first strix 1080 is gone .....
Did a bios reset and now D6 error appears.
I am going to take the 2 strix 1080 out and see if I can boot with the old one or one by one but I am starting to think I have something wrong on the mainboard...

Menthol
Level 14
Assuming you have installed the water blocks correctly and the cards are seated correctly into the pcie slots you have the pcie lane switches on the motherboard to disable/enable pcie slots to test each card one at a time without removing them, turn off the slot that the second card is in to test the top card, then turn off the top card and move the monitor cable to the second card to test it, unlikely that a pcie slot dies, more likely card not fully seated, cables not fully seated, memory modules not seated, or CPU block mount uneven or too tight
I have had D6 code with a corrupted bios flash before, did you also recently update the bios? try booting to the second bios
Sometimes it is best to only enable one video card, install the driver, then turn system off, enable the second card and boot, let the OS detect and install driver for second card, then turn system off and install the sli bridge and boot again
Windows 10 or 7? you mentioned Windows 10 but your specs list Windows 7

Thanks again for another good suggestion!

I already tried to disable the slots with microswitch, but nothing changed.
So I put in maintenance the water loop, and tried the 2 strix one at a time, nothing changed. I tried an old GTX 8800 (!?!?!) and .... bam .... system is booting !
Cannot believe both the new VGA are gone, defective, I bought them from different online vendors, but I put back the original DCU and decided to try again..... another nice thing happened, one of the strix is working correctly with original cooling system.
Put back the second one and .... again the second one in SLI is working too!
So I am going to leave them on-air cooling, for the moment, I was just going to buy a new mobo ..... but does it make sense that the strix 1080 have some kind of different way of working if you disconnect the fans ?!?!? or the LED plug ??!?!?!?
Cannot believe it ...
In the next days I will work on the water loop again, I was using 2 different radiators to get mobo, cpu and vga in water cooling, now with the vga out of the loop I need to put a fan to throw away hot air from inside, the temps for the little time I used them on water were around 30 c, now they are at 45 after boot !

Windows 10 and I exactly did what you said, first card, boot, then power off, sli bridge, boot again, and all was fine.