cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can i Make my M.2 mvme my default windows partition?

Hesam_Shakouria
Level 7
Hi everyone,
i have bought an inter SSD 6 M.2 mvme and installed it on my laptop. (my laptop is G752)
it's correctly installed because i was able to create a new partition and copy files on it. HOWEVER, when i tried in install my windows via my USB recovery dist, it does not give me an option to install it on my SSD.
I have also checked my boot options, and there is no option where i can choose my primary partition (or at least i don't know how to locate it)

i also contacted Asus support, and i was informed, the can't help me with it. because it's an upgrade and they can't help me with it.

would someone please be kind enough and share with me, how can i correctly configure my windows on my M.2 SSD ?
BABY STE{S please, because my IQ is not as high as some of you guys here ... 😞

Thank you for your kind help
4 REPLIES 4

Julskey
Level 10
Hesam Shakourian wrote:
Hi everyone,
i have bought an inter SSD 6 M.2 mvme and installed it on my laptop. (my laptop is G752)
it's correctly installed because i was able to create a new partition and copy files on it. HOWEVER, when i tried in install my windows via my USB recovery dist, it does not give me an option to install it on my SSD.
I have also checked my boot options, and there is no option where i can choose my primary partition (or at least i don't know how to locate it)

i also contacted Asus support, and i was informed, the can't help me with it. because it's an upgrade and they can't help me with it.

would someone please be kind enough and share with me, how can i correctly configure my windows on my M.2 SSD ?
BABY STE{S please, because my IQ is not as high as some of you guys here ... 😞

Thank you for your kind help

There is already a thread similar to this thread. Although it is about doing a clean install of Windows 10 to an M.2 nvme drive. Doing a clean install, it is better to make sure you select RAID (instead of AHCI) in BIOS, and remove any other other than the M.2 nvme drive. When you get to the part where it asks you what drive you want to install windows, you select load drivers, and load IRST drivers found at the ASUS website or intel website. If it does not work, try a different IRST driver because, in my experience, some IRST drivers don't work.

Now about USB recovery, it should be similar, you should load IRST drivers for the installation system to see the nvme drive. At least I have tried a third party hard disk manager software that does not see the drive at first but has an option to load drivers and then it will see the drive.

At first you don't succeed, try again. 😉

Julskey wrote:
There is already a thread similar to this thread. Although it is about doing a clean install of Windows 10 to an M.2 nvme drive. Doing a clean install, it is better to make sure you select RAID (instead of AHCI) in BIOS, and remove any other other than the M.2 nvme drive. When you get to the part where it asks you what drive you want to install windows, you select load drivers, and load IRST drivers found at the ASUS website or intel website. If it does not work, try a different IRST driver because, in my experience, some IRST drivers don't work.

Now about USB recovery, it should be similar, you should load IRST drivers for the installation system to see the nvme drive. At least I have tried a third party hard disk manager software that does not see the drive at first but has an option to load drivers and then it will see the drive.

At first you don't succeed, try again. 😉

Thanks for your response.
just to confirm, is it this post?
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?76993-Guide-How-to-install-windows-8-8-1-10-The-proper-way-...

Thank you

JustinThyme
Level 13
If you can read through that and make sense of it. Hes a fairly knowledgeable guy but all the darn colors and italics in his guides make me want to hurl.

There are other ways to do it that are easier if you dont want to go though the entire install and having to go back with drivers etc, you also cant get your recovery partition with a clean install.

Best and easiest is to wipe the drive then clean through the command prompt.

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/005929en?language=en_US

Then open disk management and initialize it.

Download and install macrium reflect, its free.

Use macrium reflect to clone you existing drive to the NVMe. Clone the entire drive! On reboot spam and enter the BIOS and make sure its selected as the boot device, should be but double check. f10 to save and exit

Done. Now you can wipe your other drive.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

I finally did the installation.
After I installed the driver, things worked out fine.
I only have one problem now.
I only see ONE boot option in my BIOS and I don't see my M.2 SSD there?
when I disable that one, it keeps looping back to BIOS. so I am running 2 operating system, and I can't disable the original one.
would you know what happened there?
would you know how I can fix this issue?
Thanks