cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL502VS insane CPU temps? What to do?

nofacekiller
Level 8
After running a few benchmarks such as Firestrike, and playing some games, such as Rise of the Tomb Raider, I noticed that my CPU had spiked up to 97-98 degrees celsius at some points. That is much higher than any PC or laptop that I have ever owned.

Should I RMA? I've had nonstop issues with this laptop, from keys not functioning properly (spacebar doesn't work unless you press the top part), annoying buzzing coil whine from the GPU, battery drain while playing, screen light bleed. I've already RMA'd twice and each time they solve one problem and another arises. EDIT: I forgot to mention that none of these problems have been solved. The only problem that ASUS RMA fixed was that the X key was faulty. Everything else is still the same and it's difficult to keep sending my Laptop in for RMA when I need it for school.

Should I take matters into my own hands? How hard is a repaste? I have been a loyal ASUS customer, this is my 3rd ASUS pc, but this is ridiculous.
15 REPLIES 15

onjax
Level 9
nofacekiller wrote:
After running a few benchmarks such as Firestrike, and playing some games, such as Rise of the Tomb Raider, I noticed that my CPU had spiked up to 97-98 degrees celsius at some points. That is much higher than any PC or laptop that I have ever owned.

Should I take matters into my own hands? How hard is a repaste? I have been a loyal ASUS customer, this is my 3rd ASUS pc, but this is ridiculous.

Hi, refer to this guide
I assume 15" will overheat, if Gl702VM 17-incher overheats with GTX 1060. I also have coil noise, and cannot fix it, coz it's caused by coils on other side of motherboard. Asus definetely needs to make their notebooks great again, since ROG brand is totally wasted for me now due to all the problems I had with ROG Series notebook.
Repasting won't help you. The overheating is not caused by poor paste or contact. There simply not enough heatsinks.

I have the heat issue too, to hot; my temporary solution was lowering some filters on games and buy a laptop cooler(temps dropped around 70 and below) but man lowering settings is something we don't want to do, its a 1070 we should max out everything right? :c and about the guide mentioned above the undervolting just doesn't work for me that much, it makes my games crash but I'm no expert, so if some one knows how to set a proper curve for the gtx 1070, please help.

Dang. 90+ C that's no good.
Now I'm worried since I have one on the way.
How bad is the coil whine?
Is it something you will hear constantly?
My Logitech mouse G9x makes this whine that I can hear when it's dead silent and it's really annoying. *

peggy wrote:
Dang. 90+ C that's no good.
Now I'm worried since I have one on the way.
How bad is the coil whine?
Is it something you will hear constantly?
My Logitech mouse G9x makes this whine that I can hear when it's dead silent and it's really annoying. *

The coil whine is audible if you're going to change hdd with ssd. Until I did it, it wasn't obvious. Skylake CPU has a feature of Fast Step, it changes frequency very-very often, according to any system activity, thus producing more coil noise. I was able to change hidden Windows power settings to make CPU for prone to stay at same frequency at least on mouse move. It reduced coil noise considerably at system idle.

take a look at my thread https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?89640-GL502VM-CPU-gets-100C&p=622676#post622676
i'm getting 100c on cpu

also i noticed that if uninstall ROG gamer center cpu runs cooler, in my case never gets 100c

Hi,

I reduced my CPU temperature from max 97°C to 88°C by lowering the Core voltage by 0,15V
In this thread OnJax describes his procedure to also reduce GPU temps, but GPU temp is no problem for my GL502VS. It is around 80°C while playing BF1.

For lowering the CPU voltage I use the Intel Xtreme Tuning Utilility.
It is easy to use. Just lover the "Core voltage offset" by 150mV, apply, and thats it. I get bluescreens with offset -200mV, but -150mV runs perfectly stable.
No temperature induced throttling ocurred. And performance does not decrease.

Coil whine is audible, but it is the same coil whine i got on my desktop PC with i7-6700K and GTX970SLI

Fox

iFoxRomeo wrote:
Hi,

I reduced my CPU temperature from max 97°C to 88°C by lowering the Core voltage by 0,15V
In this thread OnJax describes his procedure to also reduce GPU temps, but GPU temp is no problem for my GL502VS. It is around 80°C while playing BF1.

For lowering the CPU voltage I use the Intel Xtreme Tuning Utilility.
It is easy to use. Just lover the "Core voltage offset" by 150mV, apply, and thats it. I get bluescreens with offset -200mV, but -150mV runs perfectly stable.
No temperature induced throttling ocurred. And performance does not decrease.

Coil whine is audible, but it is the same coil whine i got on my desktop PC with i7-6700K and GTX970SLI

Fox

I can happily reply that iFoxRomeo's suggestion worked wonders. I'm running BIOS firmware 300 and previous when stress-testing my GL502VS using Prime95 the temperature rose to around 80°C at full load (~3.1 GHz over all cores, 100% CPU usage) for both the CPU and the motherboard with the fans at full speed. At that point the thermal throttling kicked in and lowered the turbo speed to around 2.9 GHz to get the temperatures down to a manageable level.

However after having lowered Core Voltage Offset to -0.150 V through the Intel XUT application my temps lowered around 10 degree to stay around 70-72°C for both the CPU and the motherboard while running Prime95 at full load (~3.1 GHz over all cores, 100% CPU usage). The fan doesn't seem to rise to 100% speeds and overall the temperatures are much more manageable with no thermal throttling kicking in at all.

So iFoxRomeo's suggestion is highly recommended from me, at least.

Screenshot over Speedy, Task Manager and Intel XUT with temps, usage and speeds: http://i.imgur.com/oLGTDqQ.png

Aemony wrote:
I can happily reply that iFoxRomeo's suggestion worked wonders. I'm running BIOS firmware 300 and previous when stress-testing my GL502VS using Prime95 the temperature rose to around 80°C at full load (~3.1 GHz over all cores, 100% CPU usage) for both the CPU and the motherboard with the fans at full speed. At that point the thermal throttling kicked in and lowered the turbo speed to around 2.9 GHz to get the temperatures down to a manageable level.

However after having lowered Core Voltage Offset to -0.150 V through the Intel XUT application my temps lowered around 10 degree to stay around 70-72°C for both the CPU and the motherboard while running Prime95 at full load (~3.1 GHz over all cores, 100% CPU usage). The fan doesn't seem to rise to 100% speeds and overall the temperatures are much more manageable with no thermal throttling kicking in at all.

So iFoxRomeo's suggestion is highly recommended from me, at least.

Screenshot over Speedy, Task Manager and Intel XUT with temps, usage and speeds: http://i.imgur.com/oLGTDqQ.png

Do you have problems with the coil whine? Or do you not have it?

Hi there,
tbh with all the issues you mentioned I would RMA it either way. I know how it sucks to not have a notebook/pc at hands but it's still better than spending a lot of money for something you're not happy with.
I have bought my GL702VM after comparing it to almost every similar laptop (regarding mobility, cpu, gpu and display).
In the end I chose this one because it offered the best price/performance ratio while also offering great mobility and also not having certain problems which the VS seems to have.

As someone else said, the overheating seems to be similar for every notebook of this series but it can be fixed mostly. Also the "draining issue" the VS has is not present for the VM. Also due to the 1070 being more powerful, the heat problem isn't as extreme as in your case.

Except for a squeaking on one key which I could fix using some silicone spray I also have no problems with the keyboard so far.