Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    7

    Unhappy Error 53 and DRAM LED on - system not booting

    Hello everybody,

    I recently built a new PC with the Maximus Ranger VIII. Unfortunately, it does not boot, nor display BIOS MENU.
    The motherboard shows the error 53 and the DRAM Led (orange) stays on. (Error 53 = Memory initialization error. Invalid memory type or incompatible memory speed)
    I was using 3200 MHz RAM (Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4) so i tried with new RAM (Kingston HyperX Fury 2x8GB DDR4) with 2133 MHz (recommended) frequency. However, still the same error.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_1538.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	60746

    What i did already:
    -pressing the CLEAR CMOS button
    -pressing the MEM OK button
    -Updating BIOS (USB Bios Flashback) with the latest version (2202) from ASUS website
    -inserting the RAM in different slots : A2-B2; A1-B1, also each individually with one RAM

    I'm now lacking inspiration (and hope )

    Can somebody help with this?

    (My config:
    processor i7 6700K
    GC: Geforce GTX 1070
    power:Cooler Master G650M 650W)

    Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by valy_442; 12-04-2016 at 01:47 PM.

  2. #2
    Moderator Array Nate152 PC Specs
    Nate152 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Maximus IX Code
    Processori7-7700k 5.2GHz Delidded
    Memory (part number)16GB G.Skill Trident Z 4000MHz 16-16-16-39-2T
    Graphics Card #1Titan Xp - EKFC waterblock
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX 2015
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Storage #1Toshiba OCZ VX500 256GB
    CPU CoolerSwiftech Apogee GTZ
    CaseThermaltake Armor+ VH6000
    Power SupplyPC Power & Cooling Turbo Cool 1200w
    Keyboard Cyberpower Skorpion K2
    Mouse Logitech G500
    Headset Sennheiser HD6XX / Modmic 5
    OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Accessory #1 Asus optical drive
    Accessory #2 Koolance ERM-2K3U
    Nate152's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Reputation
    308
    Posts
    16,353

    Hi valy42

    Welcome to the ROG forum.

    Since you're getting the same error with two fifferent kits and with only one stick installed, try loosening your cpu cooler a touch.

    If that doesn't help, remove your cpu cooler and cpu and inspect the cpu socket in good light with a magnifying glass for any bent or misaligned socket pins, look close and carefully and make sure all the socket pins are straight and in order. You can post us a pic of the cpu socket if you like.

  3. #3
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    7

    Hi Nate152,
    Thanks for your welcoming and your reply.

    I tried losening a bit the CPU Cooler (by unscrewing its 4 fixation screws from the motherboard. However, there is no change.
    Note: i have to press a bit the metalic holder of the CPU cooler when screwing it, not sure if this is wrong or not. I assume it is not because booting without the CPU Cooler leads to the same error.


    I checked the CPU socket which seems fine (i dont have much experience)
    Here are some pics:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1541.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	276.1 KB 
ID:	60747
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1542.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	234.1 KB 
ID:	60748
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1549.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	290.0 KB 
ID:	60749

    What do you think?

    Thanks,
    Last edited by valy_442; 12-04-2016 at 04:59 PM.

  4. #4
    Moderator Array Nate152 PC Specs
    Nate152 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Maximus IX Code
    Processori7-7700k 5.2GHz Delidded
    Memory (part number)16GB G.Skill Trident Z 4000MHz 16-16-16-39-2T
    Graphics Card #1Titan Xp - EKFC waterblock
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX 2015
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Storage #1Toshiba OCZ VX500 256GB
    CPU CoolerSwiftech Apogee GTZ
    CaseThermaltake Armor+ VH6000
    Power SupplyPC Power & Cooling Turbo Cool 1200w
    Keyboard Cyberpower Skorpion K2
    Mouse Logitech G500
    Headset Sennheiser HD6XX / Modmic 5
    OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Accessory #1 Asus optical drive
    Accessory #2 Koolance ERM-2K3U
    Nate152's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Reputation
    308
    Posts
    16,353

    Thank you for the pictures.

    From what I can tell the cpu socket pins look ok and trying with 2 different ram kits and individual sticks in all slots could point to a faulty motherboard.

    I'm not familiar with your psu but I researched it a little and it has pretty good reviews so I don't think it's your psu.

    What cpu cooler are you using?

  5. #5
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    7

    cooperage STOP

    I'm using a Cooler Master Hyper 212X.
    I guess i can just send it back to the seller. Surprising for a brand new motherboard.
    So frustrating!

  6. #6
    Moderator Array Nate152 PC Specs
    Nate152 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Maximus IX Code
    Processori7-7700k 5.2GHz Delidded
    Memory (part number)16GB G.Skill Trident Z 4000MHz 16-16-16-39-2T
    Graphics Card #1Titan Xp - EKFC waterblock
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX 2015
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Storage #1Toshiba OCZ VX500 256GB
    CPU CoolerSwiftech Apogee GTZ
    CaseThermaltake Armor+ VH6000
    Power SupplyPC Power & Cooling Turbo Cool 1200w
    Keyboard Cyberpower Skorpion K2
    Mouse Logitech G500
    Headset Sennheiser HD6XX / Modmic 5
    OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Accessory #1 Asus optical drive
    Accessory #2 Koolance ERM-2K3U
    Nate152's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Reputation
    308
    Posts
    16,353

    You could try installing your cooler again making sure the cpu fan is connected to the cpu fan header.

    If you had the cpu fan connected to the cpu fan header then I would contact the seller.

  7. #7
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    7

    I double checked and the CPU cooler is correctly connected to the CPU FAN header on the motherboard.
    I already took the CPU Cooler off twice during the troubleshooting, it therefore was uninstalled and reinstalled twice.

    Thus i will contact the seller. Thanks for your analysis

  8. #8
    Moderator Array Nate152 PC Specs
    Nate152 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Maximus IX Code
    Processori7-7700k 5.2GHz Delidded
    Memory (part number)16GB G.Skill Trident Z 4000MHz 16-16-16-39-2T
    Graphics Card #1Titan Xp - EKFC waterblock
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX 2015
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Storage #1Toshiba OCZ VX500 256GB
    CPU CoolerSwiftech Apogee GTZ
    CaseThermaltake Armor+ VH6000
    Power SupplyPC Power & Cooling Turbo Cool 1200w
    Keyboard Cyberpower Skorpion K2
    Mouse Logitech G500
    Headset Sennheiser HD6XX / Modmic 5
    OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Accessory #1 Asus optical drive
    Accessory #2 Koolance ERM-2K3U
    Nate152's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Reputation
    308
    Posts
    16,353

    You're welcome

    Please come back and give us updates on what the seller has to say and when you get your new motherboard.

  9. #9
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    7

    Sure, i will keep you posted.

  10. #10
    Moderator Array Nate152 PC Specs
    Nate152 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Maximus IX Code
    Processori7-7700k 5.2GHz Delidded
    Memory (part number)16GB G.Skill Trident Z 4000MHz 16-16-16-39-2T
    Graphics Card #1Titan Xp - EKFC waterblock
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX 2015
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Storage #1Toshiba OCZ VX500 256GB
    CPU CoolerSwiftech Apogee GTZ
    CaseThermaltake Armor+ VH6000
    Power SupplyPC Power & Cooling Turbo Cool 1200w
    Keyboard Cyberpower Skorpion K2
    Mouse Logitech G500
    Headset Sennheiser HD6XX / Modmic 5
    OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Accessory #1 Asus optical drive
    Accessory #2 Koolance ERM-2K3U
    Nate152's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Reputation
    308
    Posts
    16,353

    There is a slight chance it could be the cpu but I'll say it's a 90% chance it's the motherboard and a 10% chance it's the cpu.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •