cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 53 and DRAM LED on - system not booting

valy_442
Level 7
Hello everybody,

I recently built a new PC with the Maximus Ranger VIII. Unfortunately, it does not boot, nor display BIOS MENU.
The motherboard shows the error 53 and the DRAM Led (orange) stays on. (Error 53 = Memory initialization error. Invalid memory type or incompatible memory speed)
I was using 3200 MHz RAM (Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4) so i tried with new RAM (Kingston HyperX Fury 2x8GB DDR4) with 2133 MHz (recommended) frequency. However, still the same error.

What i did already:
-pressing the CLEAR CMOS button
-pressing the MEM OK button
-Updating BIOS (USB Bios Flashback) with the latest version (2202) from ASUS website
-inserting the RAM in different slots : A2-B2; A1-B1, also each individually with one RAM

I'm now lacking inspiration (and hope :p)

Can somebody help with this?

(My config:
processor i7 6700K
GC: Geforce GTX 1070
power:Cooler Master G650M 650W)

Thanks in advance!
12 REPLIES 12

Nate152
Hi valy42

Welcome to the ROG forum.

Since you're getting the same error with two fifferent kits and with only one stick installed, try loosening your cpu cooler a touch.

If that doesn't help, remove your cpu cooler and cpu and inspect the cpu socket in good light with a magnifying glass for any bent or misaligned socket pins, look close and carefully and make sure all the socket pins are straight and in order. You can post us a pic of the cpu socket if you like. 🙂

Hi Nate152,
Thanks for your welcoming and your reply.

I tried losening a bit the CPU Cooler (by unscrewing its 4 fixation screws from the motherboard. However, there is no change.
Note: i have to press a bit the metalic holder of the CPU cooler when screwing it, not sure if this is wrong or not. I assume it is not because booting without the CPU Cooler leads to the same error.

I checked the CPU socket which seems fine (i dont have much experience)
Here are some pics:

What do you think?

Thanks,

Nate152
Thank you for the pictures.

From what I can tell the cpu socket pins look ok and trying with 2 different ram kits and individual sticks in all slots could point to a faulty motherboard.

I'm not familiar with your psu but I researched it a little and it has pretty good reviews so I don't think it's your psu.

What cpu cooler are you using?

I'm using a Cooler Master Hyper 212X.
I guess i can just send it back to the seller. Surprising for a brand new motherboard.
So frustrating!

Nate152
You could try installing your cooler again making sure the cpu fan is connected to the cpu fan header.

If you had the cpu fan connected to the cpu fan header then I would contact the seller.

I double checked and the CPU cooler is correctly connected to the CPU FAN header on the motherboard.
I already took the CPU Cooler off twice during the troubleshooting, it therefore was uninstalled and reinstalled twice.

Thus i will contact the seller. Thanks for your analysis:)

Nate152
You're welcome

Please come back and give us updates on what the seller has to say and when you get your new motherboard.

Sure, i will keep you posted.

Nate152
There is a slight chance it could be the cpu but I'll say it's a 90% chance it's the motherboard and a 10% chance it's the cpu.