cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VS Multiple ROG logos on boot followed by black screen

griff8
Level 7
Hi folks,

A couple weeks ago I bought the G752VS and after 2 days the notebook started to give me the infamous black screen on boot. I installed every update that was considered "critical" by ASUS after I turned it on for the first time - Windows, Nvidia drivers, BIOS (306). At this point I have no idea what might be causing the issue, I've scoured many forums including this one but is seems that the issue is unique to each machine - in my case, after I hit the power button to turn on the machine or to wake it up from hibernation, the screen flashes with 18 small distorted ROG logos (with the red part purple instead of red) and what follows is the a backlit black screen. To make it work I have to forcefully turn it off and turn it back on again. It's as if it wasn't getting enough juice the first time.

No one ever mentions seeing multiple ROG logos on boot and it sounds GPU related, but I have no issues with the card while playing games..

I've already tried turning off hibernation and fast startup, disconnecting all peripherals before boot (this worked 2 times in a row but sadly the issue returned). Weird thing is if I turn the notebook off and turn it on again within a couple hours, there is no issue. It only appears after a prolonged period of being powered down.

What I have not tried (mainly because I do not trust myself and fear "bricking" the nb for good) is resetting the Windows or flashing the BIOS to a previous version.

Any advice on how to get rid of this annoying issue on an otherwise great machine would be much appreciated!
8 REPLIES 8

TheKnight
Level 7
You said that you bought this 2 weeks ago so I suggest that you go to the store you bought it from and ask for a replacement. I don't know if they will actually give you one ( different stores have different policies ) but a brand new laptop should not have any problems. Best of luck to you. Let us know if you get a replacement or not.

I have the same black screen issue but I dont have multiple rog logos. And plus, I have a purple screen issue with two vertical lines after ROG logo and before windows 10. An expert told me that it caused by graphic card. No matter what time you open this laptop(G752VS), previous usage of graphic card get affected by temperature and causes irregular voltage transfer. That is the information of this issue he said. Weird thing is that all G752VS I have seen has these issues.

Fuauwkchcjw wrote:
I have the same black screen issue but I dont have multiple rog logos. And plus, I have a purple screen issue with two vertical lines after ROG logo and before windows 10. An expert told me that it caused by graphic card. No matter what time you open this laptop(G752VS), previous usage of graphic card get affected by temperature and causes irregular voltage transfer. That is the information of this issue he said. Weird thing is that all G752VS I have seen has these issues.

Thanks for the insight! So is this something that could be fixed? Or is it a fatal flaw that all of g752s have?

I wonder if ASUS is aware of this at all! I hate that it's so random - yesterday I turned it on after 24hrs and it started properly without any issues. Today, after roughly the same period, multiple logos and blackscreen again 😞

So far, I tried three different G752VS (First one is what I bought, second and third ones are what I get from warranty.) and all have same issue :(. Do not know whether Asus is aware of this problem but I think all of them(G752VS) has the same thing because I also saw the same issue in review videos about G752VS that include G752VS's booting time.

I dont know about the multiple logos, but for my g752vy, pinkinsh purple stripes started to appear randomly. It slowly became worse over time so i sent it to the asus repair center. Immediately they replaced the screen without and questions asked (under warranty, laptop only 5 months old), they also replaced the keyboard because they found it to be damaged internally.

When i got it back, the nvidia control panel did detect the g-sync capability. Through some tests, and the nvidia live chat, we confirmed g-sync was not detected on the new screen and we could not solve the problem. I sent the laptop back to the repair center and within the same day they fixed it. Turns out that they had to reset factory settings in BIOS to resolve the problem. I shared this info with nvidia and even they could not explain why this fixed it lol. As long as they know now.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Im sure ASUS knows. Keep in mind you bought a machine where this is ASUS' first go at installing desktop graphics into a laptop which IMO is a huge mistake. If you want a desktop, build a desktop. Much easier to take care of problems when they arise and the problem everyone is seeing here would not be replicated on a desktop unless you unplugged the fan header.

Below is a picture of a Strix 1080 AG8 heat pipe and fan assembly, the heat sink assy is about 10x3 inches. When this is at full load all 3 fans spin up to pump 3 times the volume I get out of my G752VY machine and at least twice the heat. Im pretty sure its the same heatsink on the 1060 and 1070 as well. Just to give you an idea of what is being attempted in a laptop where this monster could never fit and you are cooling a 1070 GPU and a CPU with less than half the heat sink that comes on just the GPU. I know it doesnt fix your problems but should quite accurately convey as to why you are having them in the first place. Compare it to putting a 572 Chevy big block into a Camaro with a 6:72 blower and using the heater core for the car for cooling.......not going to work very well.....

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

UPDATE: So I managed to bypass (not fix) the issue entirely by NOT closing the lid when turning the notebook off. I just leave it open. On the following day I plug the charger back in, wait a few seconds and voila no glitched logo, no black screen.
Maybe like some cables don't like to be bent when the lid is opened..

Hello
I have exactly the same problem with my new rog 703 VM
Leaving it open doesn't solve the issue either for me
How did your problem end ?