cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with one of the fans on my Strix 1070

EK_Luc
Level 7
Hi,

One of the fans (the one on the right) doesn't freely spin anymore. It's like if the bearing/bushing is semi-jammed.

Is it possible to only get a replacement air cooler or do I have to RMA the whole card?

Thanks!
11 REPLIES 11

Detleg
Level 12
so you saying its kinda locked up, when you try to spin it with your finger?

Detleg wrote:
so you saying its kinda locked up, when you try to spin it with your finger?

It's not completely locked but it doesn't spin freely like the other 2 fans. And when the card is under load and the fans are working, the hub of the one that doesn't work correctly is very hot to the touch.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Can you make sure there is nothing in there keeping it from spinning up? Funny how little pieces of packing material can find their way in to the most inconvenient of places.
If its just bad bearings Id doubt that they will just ship you a new fan. You would mosy likely have to RMA the card or check on Ebay to see if any of the chop shops have them to replace it yourself.

Now for the question of the day.....
What is someone with EKWB as their avatar pic and EK in their user name doing running a graphics card without a water block on it?

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Can you make sure there is nothing in there keeping it from spinning up? Funny how little pieces of packing material can find their way in to the most inconvenient of places.
If its just bad bearings Id doubt that they will just ship you a new fan. You would mosy likely have to RMA the card or check on Ebay to see if any of the chop shops have them to replace it yourself.

Now for the question of the day.....
What is someone with EKWB as their avatar pic and EK in their user name doing running a graphics card without a water block on it?

Nothing is blocking the fan. It has run freely for a few months now.

I have the blocks for my cards but I had a crazy fall season at my daily job and didn't had the time to start my build and install my blocks. It will be done at the start of 2017 but even if I put the block on my card, I want to have a working air cooler for resale purpose.

Nate152
Hi EK Luc

I'll forward this to Bahz and see what he suggests, it does seem one of your fans is defective if it's not spinning freely and getting hot.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi EK Luc

I'll forward this to Bahz and see what he suggests, it does seem one of your fans is defective if it's not spinning freely and getting hot.

Thanks!

Nate152

Nate152 wrote:
Hi EK Luc

Bahz says to RMA your ROG Strix 1070.

OK 😞

I will lose my only 1070 with Samsung memory over an air cooler 😞

Thanks for the info Nate.

EK Luc wrote:
OK 😞

I will lose my only 1070 with Samsung memory over an air cooler 😞

Thanks for the info Nate.

Id doubt they just take in your card and send you a new one. Not cost effective. If its just a fan they will replace just the fan.
Or there is still the alternative seeing how you are pulling the heat pipe anyhow to just wait a little while and the fans will be all over fleabay for $25-$30.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein