cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hynix ECC ram on Crosshair V Formula, posible?

TheDoci
Level 7
Just a quick question that a google search has not given me a good answer on.

I have a Crosshair V Formula, and want to upgrade the ram, to 32GB (for work), and would like to use Hynix ECC server ram, since i can get it cheaply. The exact model of ram im looking at is: hmt31gr78fr4c-h9

So, i was wondering, if this ram would work on my motherboard, or is it completely incompatible?

Checking the spec sheet of the motherboard, it states ECC is compatible, but im not sure the particular hynix ram is compatible.

So, rather then wasting money on ram that might not work, is something id rather not do, so i decided to ask here for advice on it.

Also, i know ECC ram is not designed for gaming, but since my gaming pc is also my workstation, ECC ram is probably a good idea.
Specs:
Crosshair V Formula AM3+
FX-8350 at 4.2 GHz
Mugen II rev 3 heatsink Push pull
GTX 690
8GB Corsair Dual-Channel @ 1333MHz
Samsung 840 Pro @ 512 GB and 6TB of other drives
1 REPLY 1

JustinThyme
Level 13
You would have to find someone who has actually used it. The only place Ive seen ECC ram cheaper is the 5 finger discount. I cussed my old build becuase that MOBO required ECC RAM that was triple the cost of non ECC RAM. The reason what you are looking at now is cheap is its old technology. $40 a stick is actually on the high side for that.

You do realize that the RAM you are looking at is 1333 and your board supports 2133. Also experience taught me ECC RAM and the word overclocking dont belong in the same sentence.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein