cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS GTX 580 Matrix - High temperatures

johnnyw
Level 7
So just got this card today and it seems to work ok but my temperatures seems to be really high compared to what other users and reviews are got 😞 Most reviews have got temps like low to mid 60:s at stock but im getting now like mid 70:s only after 20mins of bfbc2. Also what kind of voltage this card should have at default? Just taked a look to it with afterburner and according it stock volts are 1.088v which seems really high?

This is after 20mins of bfbc2 case closed:

And this 20misn bfbc2 with case side panel open:

I have silverstone TJ08-E case which has 180mm fan blowing cool air directly to gfx card and other components and when difference is so small case closed and open im 99% sure its definately not airflow issue. Also i live at Finland and ambien in house is pretty low, around 22 degrees atm.

Just really disapointed to spend loads of money to card like this and then have problems immideatly 😞

Edit: After 1 hour of bfbc2 peak temp was 76c but mostly it stabilized to 74-75c range. Really would want to hear what kind of temps other are getting with this cards, these temps just dont seem right for cooler this size.
32 REPLIES 32

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello mate, could you tell me what the ambient temperature is?

And could you post a GPU-z shot of your 3D clocks too.

Thank you.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Allready mentioned in that earlier post that ambient is 22 degrees and gpu clocks are just stock 816/1002. I havent touched to any settings.

These are the settings (totally stock)

Voltage just seems really high. Just read in finnish forum that all matrix users there had voltage in range beetween 1.038-1.050v so could that be the reason that im getting these ridicilous temps?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Sorry mate I must have missed the ambient. Long day I guess. 🙂

Thank you for the screen shot. Could you confirm that your fan is scaling or does it stick on 20%?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Joni
Level 7
Ye fan does ramp up in load. As you see in that gpu-z pic above it was 35% = 1800rpm when temp was 74c

HiVizMan
Level 40
Man I had hoped it was something simple like the fan profile was not kicking in. Darn, nothing is easy yeah.

OK I will pull out my Matrix and have a play around and see if I have anything similar. Temps are a bit lower here but the delta should be the same.

Thanks mate.

update: Voltage on my card is the same as yours.

CPU Voltages (nV) 1088
OEX,VDD (mV) 1059
Memory Voltage (mV) 1580

How does that compare with your card?

My temps are 26'c idle and my max during a stress test looped was 54'c and my fan cycle did not budge from 20%.

Looking at the other temps my card was about 30'c cooler than your on the PCB.

One thing that I noticed and is maybe interesting for your problems the reason why your clocks do not seem to revert to the 2D settings? After a few seconds of not being used (stressed) my graphic card reverts to the second 3D 400MHz mode and then down clocks to 50MHz and the default 2D clocks.

Could you have a look and see how long it takes before your card down clocks to 2D settings please.

Joni
Level 7
I would guess it has something to do with voltage as it seems to be higher than most has. If you just bother test how your temps will be at 1088mV and auto fan.

HiVizMan
Level 40
See my reply I have done a looped stress test for you.

Joni
Level 7
My card dont get to 2D clocks at all because i have 120hz monitor, dunno what is the point but nvidia drivers dont downclock to 50Mhz when using 120hz/3d monitor. Your voltages are exatly same as mine but which stress test you looped? I just runned unigine heaven 2.5 benchmark 3x loop and in some reason that dont heat the card even close as much than bfbc2, after 3 loops of heaven 2.5 with extreme tesselation i was having 66c max when with bfbc2 im at 70c in few mins after starting game and then slowly increasing to 75c range.

Anyway i think i must of got lemon and this really sucks hard. Paid insane money off it ( could of got 570 sli with same price almost ) and now if i need to rma it probably have to wait replacement month or even more as this was last at stock 😞

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yeah I used the same stress test as you.

I wonder how much the drivers are making a difference when playing the game. I have not installed the game onto my test bench and really don't want to. I end up playing the game and not working 😄

But I am sure you have tried different drivers for the card and that you have the latest patch for the game.

Right now I am calling it a day and will see what the morning brings for inspiration. Sorry I was not able to find a fix, yet 🙂