cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog G20AJ Issues with 230W Power and Upgrade

chrimen
Level 7
Rog G20 i7 4790 GTX 760

I've sometimes had the issues of the GPU fan running loudly and no signal. I found out happened because the 230W was not connected properly.

I was upgrading the video card to a GTX 1070 ASus Turbo. It's a blower style card. Once I took out the 760 I placed the 1070 tried to run the computer before putting everything together again. It ran fine. This was with the main cover open and lying on it's side.

Once I assembled the PC with the 1070 and stood it upright it would no longer get signal nor be recognized.
I took it apart made sure everything was plugged in and tried it while it was upright again with no signal.

I realized that something happened with the power as I stood it up and gpu would loose power. I tried standing the pc upright while it was on and the 1070 (brand new card )started blowing the fan loudly. It stopped receiving signal soon after that. I tried again and again to turn it on, but I get no signal.

I go back and install the 760 and the fan just spins loudly.

I turned on the PC while the 760 is plugged in with the 8pin adapter but not the to the PCI express slot. Fans don't spin loudly. As soon as I try to use the card normally meaning it's plugged with the 8 pin adapter and the PCI express slot the fan spins loudly and I get no signal.

I know the card works because it worked several times while the pc was on its side. So the cables, the jumpers etc... are all in the right position.
Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

Could there be something wrong with the cables or the PCI Express slot?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5

zkanuck
Level 7
chrimen wrote:
Rog G20 i7 4790 GTX 760

I've sometimes had the issues of the GPU fan running loudly and no signal. I found out happened because the 230W was not connected properly.

I was upgrading the video card to a GTX 1070 ASus Turbo. It's a blower style card. Once I took out the 760 I placed the 1070 tried to run the computer before putting everything together again. It ran fine. This was with the main cover open and lying on it's side.

Once I assembled the PC with the 1070 and stood it upright it would no longer get signal nor be recognized.
I took it apart made sure everything was plugged in and tried it while it was upright again with no signal.

I realized that something happened with the power as I stood it up and gpu would loose power. I tried standing the pc upright while it was on and the 1070 (brand new card )started blowing the fan loudly. It stopped receiving signal soon after that. I tried again and again to turn it on, but I get no signal.

I go back and install the 760 and the fan just spins loudly.

I turned on the PC while the 760 is plugged in with the 8pin adapter but not the to the PCI express slot. Fans don't spin loudly. As soon as I try to use the card normally meaning it's plugged with the 8 pin adapter and the PCI express slot the fan spins loudly and I get no signal.

I know the card works because it worked several times while the pc was on its side. So the cables, the jumpers etc... are all in the right position.
Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

Could there be something wrong with the cables or the PCI Express slot?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

hey man, did the issue you desribe above get resolved with the new 230w power brick you mentioned in the other thread?

zkanuck wrote:
hey man, did the issue you desribe above get resolved with the new 230w power brick you mentioned in the other thread?

All of my issues got solved with the new power brick. It seems that mine was just faulty from the beginning.

Welsh_Whoopee
Level 11
do you have 1 or 2 power bricks, you should have a 230 watt power brick and 180 watt power brick, the only issue I think it might be happening, is when the click for the gpu is not pulled back and the riser card is not push and clicked into the PCI-E slot tidy

Welsh Whoopee wrote:
do you have 1 or 2 power bricks, you should have a 230 watt power brick and 180 watt power brick, the only issue I think it might be happening, is when the click for the gpu is not pulled back and the riser card is not push and clicked into the PCI-E slot tidy

If the two power adapters are 230W, could that cause some issues? or not really? currently experiencing some weird things with my GPU update.

Welsh Whoopee wrote:

I had the original righ with the 760 which came with two power bricks. It seems that for me the issue was the power brick. Once I ordered it from Asus everything has been working fine. Not even any cold boot start up problems.