81 27.84%
  • DOTA 2

161 55.33%
  • Other

49 16.84%
Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast
    New ROGer Array

DOTA 2 And Here's Why

DOTA 2 is a MOBA game from a map of Warcraft 3 called "DOTA or Defense Of The Ancients". Everyone was shaken by it's originallity, uniqueness and difficulty. I think MOBA games started there. It became so hotter than Miley Cyru's "Wrecking Ball or Psy's "Gangnam Style". It someway put the world together, the world became one at that time, even today.

Let's talk about what is DOTA 2 more.

DOTA 2 is for real professional.
    DOTA 2 need real minds, timing is everything.
    DOTA 2 have better community, unlike *ehem*league*ehem*. Excuse me.
    DOTA 2 have wide variety unique of items and heroes.
    DOTA 2 demand teamwork, or you'll lose.
    DOTA 2 is everything that you crave for. It's a fine cake. It's the best.

Thank you for reading.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by monkeydluffy1466 View Post
    DOTA 2 is a MOBA game from a map of Warcraft 3 called "DOTA or Defense Of The Ancients". Everyone was shaken by it's originallity, uniqueness and difficulty. I think MOBA games started there. It became so hotter than Miley Cyru's "Wrecking Ball or Psy's "Gangnam Style". It someway put the world together, the world became one at that time, even today.

Thank you for reading.
    MOBA genre actually came from Starcraft custom map, Aeon of Strife. That is the first MOBA game. After that, Dota came out on Warcraft 3 engine.

Even though Dota is not the first MOBA game, but it is Dota that made MOBA genre explode.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Not really a huge MOBA gamer but I know for sure DOTA2 wins this. Not really about the gameplay or from which publisher the game came from or graphics whatsoever but because of the community that supports the game, the volume of professional esports athletes involved in the game, the number of massive tournaments with massive cash prizes come are from DOTA2. Statistics shows it...

1) Highest Paid eSports Athletes come from DOTA2
    2) DOTA2 is said to have awarded over $91 million USD vs $36 million from LoL tournaments.

Just look at the recent Boston Major, a DOTA2 tournament with $3,000,000.00 prize pool. The community support, huge fan base, supporting tournaments and volume of professional athletes involved in this game makes it the best today in my opinion.
    Intel i5-2500k - ASUS Maximus V Gene - ASUS GTX 660 DCU II
    ASUS ThunderFX - Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 850w
    OCZ Vector 120GB - Corsair H90
    Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB - Coolermaster Storm Trooper

ROG Enthusiast Array DJFulcrum PC Specs
    DJFulcrum PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Aorus X7 v2
    MotherboardASUS H81-GAMER
    ProcessorIntel ® Core™ i7-4790
    Memory (part number)Corsair Vengeance 8GB x 2 DDR3-1600MHz
    Graphics Card #1XFX AMD Radeon™ R9 280X Black Edition Double Dissipation
    Sound CardASUS SupremeFX
    MonitorASUS VE228H
    Storage #1SSD Crucial BX100 250GB
    Storage #2HDD WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM - 64MB Cache
    CPU CoolerCM HYPER 212X
    CaseCorsair Carbide Series ® 200R
    Power SupplyCorsair CX Series™ CX750M
    Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum
    Mouse Corsair Gaming M65 RGB Laser Gaming Mouse
    Headset CM Storm Resonar
    Mouse Pad Razer Destructor Hard Gaming Mouse Mat
    Headset/Speakers Creative Inspire T6200 5.1 Speakers
    OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
    Network RouterTP-Link TD-W8960N
    Accessory #1 Logitech WingMan Extreme Digital 3D
    Accessory #2 Logitech WingMan Formula GP

Quote Originally Posted by danzzal View Post
    Based on my opinion, it will be more complicated from the old one. The old one you have "stats" where when you skill it you will get +2 to all your stats, which are strength, agility and intelligent. You can level up "stats" all the way and maxed at level 10 which is +20 to all your stats. This is kinda boring since all game you will basically always get +20 in every game when you reaches level 25 or you levelled stats all the way to level 10.

But in 7.00, they completely remove the "stats" and add talents tree. This thing is like a path. Every path will give you unique perks. You need to choose only one from two path for every level 10, 15, 20, and 25. This adds another complexity to the game since you might want to choose the right path depending on the situation because once you chose your path, you can't go back. But, with that new addition, it will make almost all the heroes to scale better at the late game. In other words, this will make the game better and I really liked it a lot.

Attachment 61040

Here's an example of talent tree from hero Vengeful Spirit. This adds another variation of play style possibilities by 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 = 16 just from the talents tree alone!

Just like playing RPG game like Skyrim, once you chose your class ie thief, you can't change your class anymore.
    Now that you gave me a quick glance at the new talent system it is a great technique at scaling the game better at the late game as you have said. It is similar to the card system introduced in other games, but not quite the same. How is LoL’s levelling system in comparison to DOTA 2 7.0?

ROG Member Array

I also would like to include the comparison chart here. I know it's quite outdated in term of number of players and number of playable characters, but it's still useful for comparing MOBA games.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mobachart23.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	313.6 KB 
ID:	61072

1. Number of characters
    From the chart, another major advantage of playing Dota 2 is that all of the characters are playable and completely free. This means that, countering certain characters is extremely easy as you can pick anyone without paying. Other MOBA games you need to pay to unlock the characters. Lets say your enemy pick character A which only character B can counter, but character B is locked and you need to pay to unlock him instantly. It's seems like semi-"pay to win" for me (not completely "pay to win") if you know what I'm saying. This makes Dota 2 is much better. You can play the "full" game, and delete it if you didn't like the game without paying anything. Of course you can use in game currency but that would consume lot of time which might be unfavourable to some people like me.

2. Number of players
    For the number of players, I think LoL is still leading. I have no idea why the majority of people in this thread prefers Dota. Statistically there should be more people voting for LoL . This one LoL wins.

3. Number of tournaments
    If I'm not mistaken, Dota 2 also have lower number of tournaments organised compared to LoL. But, I would go for Dota 2 in term of tournaments organisation. Even they have lower number of tournaments compared to LoL, their production value is extremely high. I'm not sure about the other MOBA games.

4. Number of maps
    Dota 2 only have one map (the terrain is customizable though). For me it is better since it make the game much more consistent. It also make the developer to fix any bugs related to map easily since there's only one map. Everyone including the professional players will have to play the same map.

5. Penalty for death
    One more thing, the penalty for death. The toughest one is Dota. You not just giving the enemy experience and gold, you also lose gold when you die*. This make the game harder and make you to play much more cautiously. As I said, I like difficult game, so this one I would give it to Dota 2.

*You can however not losing any gold by using all your unreliable gold pool. This one is another mechanics that I won't explain here since it might took long essay to explain

So, overall, Dota 2 is better for me.

ROG Enthusiast Array DJFulcrum PC Specs
    DJFulcrum PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Aorus X7 v2
    MotherboardASUS H81-GAMER
    ProcessorIntel ® Core™ i7-4790
    Memory (part number)Corsair Vengeance 8GB x 2 DDR3-1600MHz
    Graphics Card #1XFX AMD Radeon™ R9 280X Black Edition Double Dissipation
    Sound CardASUS SupremeFX
    MonitorASUS VE228H
    Storage #1SSD Crucial BX100 250GB
    Storage #2HDD WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM - 64MB Cache
    CPU CoolerCM HYPER 212X
    CaseCorsair Carbide Series ® 200R
    Power SupplyCorsair CX Series™ CX750M
    Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum
    Mouse Corsair Gaming M65 RGB Laser Gaming Mouse
    Headset CM Storm Resonar
    Mouse Pad Razer Destructor Hard Gaming Mouse Mat
    Headset/Speakers Creative Inspire T6200 5.1 Speakers
    OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
    Network RouterTP-Link TD-W8960N
    Accessory #1 Logitech WingMan Extreme Digital 3D
    Accessory #2 Logitech WingMan Formula GP

Quote Originally Posted by danzzal View Post
    I also would like to include the comparison chart here. I know it's quite outdated in term of number of players and number of playable characters, but it's still useful for comparing MOBA games.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mobachart23.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	313.6 KB 
ID:	61072

1. Number of characters
    From the chart, another major advantage of playing Dota 2 is that all of the characters are playable and completely free. This means that, countering certain characters is extremely easy as you can pick anyone without paying. Other MOBA games you need to pay to unlock the characters. Lets say your enemy pick character A which only character B can counter, but character B is locked and you need to pay to unlock him instantly. It's seems like semi-"pay to win" for me (not completely "pay to win") if you know what I'm saying. This makes Dota 2 is much better. You can play the "full" game, and delete it if you didn't like the game without paying anything. Of course you can use in game currency but that would consume lot of time which might be unfavourable to some people like me.

2. Number of players
    For the number of players, I think LoL is still leading. I have no idea why the majority of people in this thread prefers Dota. Statistically there should be more people voting for LoL . This one LoL wins.

3. Number of tournaments
    If I'm not mistaken, Dota 2 also have lower number of tournaments organised compared to LoL. But, I would go for Dota 2 in term of tournaments organisation. Even they have lower number of tournaments compared to LoL, their production value is extremely high. I'm not sure about the other MOBA games.

4. Number of maps
    Dota 2 only have one map (the terrain is customizable though). For me it is better since it make the game much more consistent. It also make the developer to fix any bugs related to map easily since there's only one map. Everyone including the professional players will have to play the same map.

5. Penalty for death
    One more thing, the penalty for death. The toughest one is Dota. You not just giving the enemy experience and gold, you also lose gold when you die*. This make the game harder and make you to play much more cautiously. As I said, I like difficult game, so this one I would give it to Dota 2.

*You can however not losing any gold by using all your unreliable gold pool. This one is another mechanics that I won't explain here since it might took long essay to explain

So, overall, Dota 2 is better for me.
    It is great that you have added more perspective to this, many MOBA games are an unknown territory in my books. Though I have played both LoL and DOTA 2 in the earlier days, it has changed to keep up with the times and each respective community’s demands. I have touched Smite, but have never played HotS. Now that you have made the comparison, it is odd that DOTA 2 has taken such a great leap in this thread’s poll, but more understandable why the game speaks more to this community going through every post in this thread. Just by listening here I will rather get back into DOTA 2 than LoL.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by leopretorius View Post
    There is always this misconception that different MOBA players hate each other, but that's just a small majority of the community. We are after all gamers and thus most likely competitive in-game and in the real world, so we feel that need to compete with others regarding our titles we choose to play and love and that's what keeps our favorite titles on tip of there toes to impress and keeps the development cycle active giving us great games in return.

I've been playing DOTA since ice frog was the one and only king of MOBA. So as the game evolved I evolved with it and for me especially looking back I can't believe how far the game has come. For the amount of things that stayed the same, the things that changes just keeps me coming back for more. The excellent mechanics and balance (there has been issues ) and the community that just keeps getting bigger and bigger makes all the matches a challenge forcing you to up your game and adapt to a ever changing dynamic. That's why DOTA is king and so many other titles copied that same song and dance to compete with it on a global stage.
    that's right! from DOTA 1 evolve to DOTA 2 the competitive had grown to a huge community but for us players, it's normal to be competitive that's why we choose to play and gain exp to become more good player to compete others.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Question Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by monkeydluffy1466 View Post

Thank you for reading.
    Hello monkeydluffy, can I counter your argument.
    1. So first, "DotA 2 is for (a) real professional" -- this is subjective, but technically, both have professional tournaments already. Respect League, won't ya?

2. Secondly, "DotA 2 need real minds, timing is everything" -- are you saying that League doesn't need any intellect? Actually, timing is rather important in League of Legends as well. For instance, when to push turrets, when to respond using your teleport spell which has a long cooldown, when to engage the enemy, when to retreat, when to fight epic monsters which provides useful buffs, etc. Indeed, timing is everything, and League also requires real minds.

3. "DotA 2 has (a) better community" -- I wouldn't want to argue with this one. But from my experience, I'll hand it to the DotA community. The League community has indeed many toxic and childish players.

4. "DotA 2 have a wide variety **of unique items and heroes**" -- I'm pretty sure League has more champions. I'm not sure, but that's what is mentioned above. Also, League constantly adds new champions. They revamp champs, change some champs up (Poppy, Taric, etc.). They also keep a check on what they'll have to fix next. As for the items, League also added new items lately, they also pay attention to changing the items. With that said, I don't think DotA has an advantage on this one.

5. "DotA 2 demands** teamwork or you'll lose" -- Again, this is a misconception with League. LoL also requires teamwork, good chemistry of the support and ADC is important. Critical ganks from the jungler as well as the other laners. Teamfights. Objectives (Pushing, getting buffs, etc.). Map control (Warding, pressure, etc.). IT IS NOT TRUE THAT BEING FED SIMPLY MEANS THAT HE OR SHE CAN 1v5 THE OTHER TEAM. Believe me, all champs have their weakness, and any champ can be countered. and 1v5'ing is rather impossible, so I believe that 1v5'ing or simply disregarding teamwork is a thing. League also requires teamwork. Simply counter picking the other player and battling with individual skill are the other factors to win one's lane or role, but seriously, it won't win you the game just that easily.

6. "DotA 2 is everything that you crave for. It's a fine cake. It's the best." -- This isn't even debatable so I'll just leave this one be. If you say it's everything that we crave for, a fine cake, and it being the best, then okay.

I'm still voting for League! P.S. I reacted as kindly as I can! Friendly discussion!

ROG Enthusiast Array

I would say League of legends
    G750JW-DB71 custom by Prostar Win 7 Pro on Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, 16GB ram, i7-4700HQ, GeForce GTX 765M 2GB GDDR5, 1TB HDD

Desktop: self built Asus P8Z77-V , i5 3570k 3.4GHz, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz, Win 7 Pro on Samsung 840 SSD, WD 500 GB HDD for Data, WD 160 HDD with OSx Mountain Lion, Corsair 600 PSU, Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler, Asus DVD writer, TP-Link N900 PCI Express

Passmark w/o overclocking
    http://www.passmark.com/baselines/V8...id=21973816509

New ROGer Array

MOBAs

I've tried both LoL and Dota2 but just didn't really get into either of them all that much. I feel like their concept is along the lines of games I'd enjoy but perhaps I just haven't found the one that really gives me the enjoyment that so many other gamers seem to receive from them.

Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast