cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair V Formula Z + FX-9370 = RAM(?)

Vash
Level 7
I'm in a bit of a pickle right now. I upgraded my CPU from an FX-8120 to a FX-9370. I currently have CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 and it's reading my RAM as 16gb(7.9) usable, and my BIOS reads it as 8176 MB. I've tried each stick individually in DIMM Slot 0 and the computer POST's just fine and I can enter the BIOS, so I put the other stick in to DIMM Slot 2(Dual Channel RAM so I put it in the black slots.) I cannot for the life of me figure out why it can't work as full dual channel so I'm just assuming it's because it's older RAM and it's a newer CPU and a higher-end board. I'm just wondering if this ram: CMZ16GX3M2A1866C9 would be compatible. Also when I look up the product on Amazon, it shows up as CMZ16GX3M2A1866C10. (Note the C9 became C10.) Would that make a difference or should it still work the same?

edit: forgot to include that I'm currently on the most current version of the bios(2201). I've also thoroughly checked for bent pins and there are none. I've also re-seated the CPU. If I use soley the red slots (DIMM 1 & 3)(Slots 2 & 4) I get error code 50 and the computer won't POST.

I'm hoping for an answer to:
1. If it is indeed my RAM at this point causing the issue because it's older.
2. Is the above RAM compatible?
3. Is it fine that Amazon has it listed as C10 and not C9?
3 REPLIES 3

sectionate
Level 12
you cant mix and match ram on these boards. If its not reading a full 16 it could be that your not putting them in correctly or you have a failing stick. try inserting just one then try the other to see if they post. if they do look for anything that might be causing a short on your motherboard ie an over tighten screw, etfc.
Crosshair IV 1090T 4093.7 - Crosshair V FX - 8350 Batch # 1243PGT 4.422MHz - 4816.08 MHz 1.5v - GSKILL F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR(x2)1087.6 11-12-10 1.5volts - ViewSonic VX2439wm - Acer GD235HZ - SyncMaster P2350 - PowerColor Red Devil RX 480 8GBD5-3DH/OC - Current Mode: 5760 x 1080 - (retired) ASUS GTX660DC2O2GD5 - Nvidia 3D Vision Wired - HAF 932 - Corsair HX850 - Corsair H100i - latest quakelive.com - Day thirteen 60fps - as always I'm powered by Futurelooks.com

Korth
Level 14
Microsoft imposes arbitrary maximum addressable memory limits on some Windows versions. They want people to pay for better/upgraded Windows versions.

Windows 7 Home Basic Edition, Windows Vista Home Basic Edition, Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation, and Windows Storage Server 2003 Enterprise Edition will all address only up to 8GB of physical memory, regardless of how much more physical memory might actually be installed. They're basically "low-end" WinOS versions (with "low-cost" licenses), widely pre-installed on consumer/enterprise platforms - Microsoft actually makes even worse (more crippled and limited) Windows versions, but these are usually only distributed to charities and third-world international markets.

Not sure if you have Win7 Home Basic or Vista Home Basic (or either of the enterprise/server versions, lol), but if you do then it certainly won't help. Your motherboard firmware (BIOS) should always report actual hardware, even if your OS/driver software refuses to use it all.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

lpc1andonly
Level 7
Vash wrote:
I'm in a bit of a pickle right now. I upgraded my CPU from an FX-8120 to a FX-9370. I currently have CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 and it's reading my RAM as 16gb(7.9) usable, and my BIOS reads it as 8176 MB. I've tried each stick individually in DIMM Slot 0 and the computer POST's just fine and I can enter the BIOS, so I put the other stick in to DIMM Slot 2(Dual Channel RAM so I put it in the black slots.) I cannot for the life of me figure out why it can't work as full dual channel so I'm just assuming it's because it's older RAM and it's a newer CPU and a higher-end board. I'm just wondering if this ram: CMZ16GX3M2A1866C9 would be compatible. Also when I look up the product on Amazon, it shows up as CMZ16GX3M2A1866C10. (Note the C9 became C10.) Would that make a difference or should it still work the same?

edit: forgot to include that I'm currently on the most current version of the bios(2201). I've also thoroughly checked for bent pins and there are none. I've also re-seated the CPU. If I use soley the red slots (DIMM 1 & 3)(Slots 2 & 4) I get error code 50 and the computer won't POST.

I'm hoping for an answer to:
1. If it is indeed my RAM at this point causing the issue because it's older.
2. Is the above RAM compatible?
3. Is it fine that Amazon has it listed as C10 and not C9?

try upgrading your ram