cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random No Signal - Black Screen - GTX 1080 + ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition X79

littlespy
Level 7
Hi guys,

recently (last 3-4 months) I have encountered an issue where my screen randomly (Windows desktop, playing games, watching videos) turns black with NO SIGNAL message. The only way to fix it is to restart the PC.
The PC is not crashing, you can still hear it working, the HDD led is blinking from time to time and all the fans are working correctly.
So far I have checked this and:
- It’s not the screen as it also happens when I plug the PC to my TV
- It’s not the GPU as it occurred with 3 different GPUs (2 different GTX 1080 and 1 GTX760)
- It’s not the cable as it occurs with both DP and HDMI cables
- It’s not the a particular nVidia driver as it occurred with few previous ones and occurs with the latest
- It’s not the OC as it happens when the GPU is almost idle with standard clocks
- Not the PSU as it’s a new Corsair 1000W
- Both power cables from the PSU are plugged to my Motherboard (in case someone would suggest that)
- My power saving options are set to Performance and hibernation/sleep modes are disabled
- Windows is fully up 2 date

I checked the Windows Event log and when the issue occurs it creates a Warning log with the info that the video driver stopped working and recovered (it looks like it`s not recovering though ).

PC:
iCPU: i7 4930k, 6 Cores, OC @ 4,5Ghz
GPU: GTX 1080
MOBO: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition X79
RAM: 64GB G.SKILL RipjawsZ @ 1600Mhz, Quad Channel
MONITOR: Acer Predator XB270HU 27", 2560x1440, 144hz, G-Sync,
HDD: Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD, CRUCIAL M550 1TB SSD
PSU: CORSAIR RM1000x - 1000W
AUDIO: Sound Blaster ZxR

Any ideas? I’m not a noob user, building my rigs for over 15 years but I’m close to giving up on this on.
Any BIOS setting?!
32 REPLIES 32

Menthol
Level 14
littlespy,
Not to sure if I can help or not but I have a couple questions
1. is your OS a UEFI install, new GPU's have a UEFI bios
2. have you installed the force enable gen 3 https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/521828/geforce-drivers/geforce-600-series-gen3-support-on-x...
3. have you tried without the Sound Blaster card, maybe a conflict with software
4. is your memory kit one kit or 2 kits combined for 64GB, try upping memory voltage a tad

Please let us know if you get this resolved

Menthol wrote:
littlespy,
Not to sure if I can help or not but I have a couple questions
1. is your OS a UEFI install, new GPU's have a UEFI bios
2. have you installed the force enable gen 3 https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/521828/geforce-drivers/geforce-600-series-gen3-support-on-x...
3. have you tried without the Sound Blaster card, maybe a conflict with software
4. is your memory kit one kit or 2 kits combined for 64GB, try upping memory voltage a tad

Please let us know if you get this resolved

1. of course its UEFI and this issue did not happen unti few motnhs ago on the same install with the same hardware
2. yes its gen 3
3. SB did not cause issues before, GPU + sound card should work no probs
4. memory is 1 kit supported by the MOBO (listed on QVL list for this model) , default voltage with XMB profile, its just 1600mhz

timbo2410
Level 7
I have the same sort of thing here. I've tested mobo, cables, GPU, screen, drivers, different PCIe slots, different GPU outputs .. problem persists. Waiting for more expert advice.

timbo2410 wrote:
I have the same sort of thing here. I've tested mobo, cables, GPU, screen, drivers, different PCIe slots, different GPU outputs .. problem persists. Waiting for more expert advice.

I start thinking its due to nVIdia drivers, as a friend of mine has similar issues with his GTX 1070.
Here is my thread on nVIdia formus, maybe u can post there, hope they will read it: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/981001/geforce-1000-series/random-no-signal-black-screen-gt...

Or this is nVidia plus Rampage IV mobo, hope ASUS can make some drivers, bios would be nice as latest one is very old. It was not a cheap MOBO and I wont change it every 2 years to keep them happy. Or if I will have too I will not go ASUS 🙂

timbo2410
Level 7
Hey guys just solved the issue with mine .. I downloaded "DDU" (display Driver uninstaller). (this is after I used Ccleaner by the way, which didn't work). Ran DDU then put display port cable back in to #1 port out of GPU and re-installed drivers .. hey presto it's all working again. I've had this problem for weeks, even had the experts confused with what was going on .. I had always just let Nvidia update and install my drivers but not any more ..

Nate152
Thank you for posting your solution timbo2410.

I always do a custom (advanced) install of the nvidia driver, I uncheck everything except the graphics driver and physx driver then check the only box that says perform a clean installation.

Nate152 wrote:
Thank you for posting your solution timbo2410.

I always do a custom (advanced) install of the nvidia driver, I uncheck everything except the graphics driver and physx driver then check the only box that says perform a clean installation.

I did use DDU. No luck 😞

It has just happened again, booted Star Wars Battlefront, first mouse cursor started lagging for 1-2 seconds than I lost signal, the game was still running as I could hear audio in the headphones....
No idea...
Happened with HDMI to, different screen or GPU...
Could be an issue with PSU somehow? Its new Corsair RM1000X

Nate152
I highly doubt it's your psu, johnnyguru gave it a 10 out of 10.

Maybe try running your system with 1 or 2 sticks of ram.

Since all was well before I wonder if reinstalling windows would solve it, have you installed any programs or new hardware when you started having problems?

Nate152 wrote:
I highly doubt it's your psu, johnnyguru gave it a 10 out of 10.

Maybe try running your system with 1 or 2 sticks of ram.

Since all was well before I wonder if reinstalling windows would solve it, have you installed any programs or new hardware when you started having problems?

- RAM is on my list to check,
- I read that recently the PSUs for Corsair are not that great anymore, I hope its not truth
- Cannot be bothered with reinstalling windows, without 100% it will fix it, I still think its nVIDIA driver issue or voltage 😞

If it turns to be the RAM, than issue solved, it has lifetime warranty.

The only thing I changed in my system recently was the changing from 980Ti to 1080 (on 980TI it did never happen) but the issue also occurred on a GTX 760....