cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix Wireless Headset Firmware Problem

Jdt31
Level 7
So I just got a new Strix Wireless and I attempted to update it with firmware version 1.1 so I can play it on my PS4. For some reason, the firmware didn't work on my dongle then the dongle and headset would never power up again so I got a replacement. On my 2nd attempt, I managed to successfully update the firmware on my dongle but when I moved to my headset, the update failed and now my headset won't turn on. I think the term is called bricking my headset but I don't know. Although I followed the instructions on the read me text file, it doesn't say what to do when the firmware fails. My dongle still works but my headset won't turn on or light up when plugged in. Is there a reset button for the headset somewhere? Or should I let the battery die out? I don't really know what to do and Asus support keep telling me the same things that are in the read me file.
8 REPLIES 8

Devonkev
Level 7
Jdt31 wrote:
So I just got a new Strix Wireless and I attempted to update it with firmware version 1.1 so I can play it on my PS4. For some reason, the firmware didn't work on my dongle then the dongle and headset would never power up again so I got a replacement. On my 2nd attempt, I managed to successfully update the firmware on my dongle but when I moved to my headset, the update failed and now my headset won't turn on. I think the term is called bricking my headset but I don't know. Although I followed the instructions on the read me text file, it doesn't say what to do when the firmware fails. My dongle still works but my headset won't turn on or light up when plugged in. Is there a reset button for the headset somewhere? Or should I let the battery die out? I don't really know what to do and Asus support keep telling me the same things that are in the read me file.
*My dongle stopped *working also after the firmware update. I must admit I only tried them as a punt to see how good wireless was for gaming , but found you lose to much detail for my liking. Just will use them as spare set *as the wired *part still works. *

Hi Jdt31,

were you able to solve your problem? I am having the exact same issue with mine. The dongle works but the headphone does not come on at all (power button doesn't do anything anymore). It used to work before the firmware update.

So I ended up exchanging the item at my local store. The guy tested it, saw there was a problem, and gave me a new one.

Works like a charm now, without trying to update firmware nor anything.

I recently tried to update the firmware of the USB dongle and headset to my ROG Strix Wireless. The firmware update failed and now the USB dongle isn't working right. My computer reads the USB as Avnera AV6201 instead of the strix wireless. How do I reformat the USB stick to work with my strix wireless headset again? There is no light on the dongle now and it won't pair with the headset. I've tried numerous things but nothing seems to work. Please help
Update: I was able to update the firmware of the headset and the dos prompt read successfully. In addition to the dongle reading in computer devices Avnera AV6201 it is also reading a Bluetooth Radio device. I am continuing to try if I can reformat the dongle to factory settings but I don't know how. Google has been no help.

Spoonyrogdrumps wrote:
I recently tried to update the firmware of the USB dongle and headset to my ROG Strix Wireless. The firmware update failed and now the USB dongle isn't working right. My computer reads the USB as Avnera AV6201 instead of the strix wireless. How do I reformat the USB stick to work with my strix wireless headset again? There is no light on the dongle now and it won't pair with the headset. I've tried numerous things but nothing seems to work. Please help
Update: I was able to update the firmware of the headset and the dos prompt read successfully. In addition to the dongle reading in computer devices Avnera AV6201 it is also reading a Bluetooth Radio device. I am continuing to try if I can reformat the dongle to factory settings but I don't know how. Google has been no help.

Update: I finally got the firmeware updated properly and can confirm that they work though I had to exchange them with new ones because the firmware update originally bricked the dongle. If you need the proper way on updating them let me know.
I still have a question however. With the Sonic Studio software it will only let me select stereo. How can I get it to show 7.1?

Spoonyrogdrumps wrote:
Update: I finally got the firmeware updated properly and can confirm that they work though I had to exchange them with new ones because the firmware update originally bricked the dongle. If you need the proper way on updating them let me know.

I recently purchased one of these and the same thing happened as with you guys. I'm right before exchanging my headset so I'd like to know the proper way to update the firmware.

So there's no correct way...

xlstefan
Level 7
Jdt31 wrote:

Did you solved this problem?
I have the same problem, cant turn on the headphones...