cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ramcache Prevents Shutdown under WIndows 10 Pro 64 bit

Overpopulation
Level 7
Im using Ram cache on a Asus Maximus VIII Hero and every time i shutdown computer it gets blocked by this program. SO i get the windows message telling this software is preventing the system from shutting down. So i need to wait then press the stop it anyway. Its becoming a pain in the ass. Any idea. Ive been doing this for months in the believe some new version could be released and maybe fix thix but no. Any idea. The Ramcache lacks any options aside from the language it is a pretty straightforward software which i like a lot as long as it works with no issues which is not the case.
10 REPLIES 10

Overpopulation
Level 7
Bump

Menthol
Level 14
I don't use it so can't say for sure but have you waited to see if it eventually shutdowns? I believe it has to copy the contents to the hard drive on shutdown.

Brighttail
Level 11
I use it and have it set to 6gb. For me it delays shutdown/reboots for up to 1 minute but it does reboot. Basically the larger you have the ramcache (if you are doing 10, 15, 20 GB) it could take up to 5-10 minutes depending on some of your hardware. What it is doing is writing what is on the Ramcache (in your memory) and writing it on to a hard drive. So if you are using a mechanical hard drive and have a large cache, it can take 5-10 minutes depending on the size. The amount of time it takes to write from memory to your hard drive depends on:

1. The size of the Ramcache, the larger it is the longer it will take
2. If you are writing it to an m.2, SSD or HDD. HDD will take the longest for obvious reasons.
3. The speed of your RAM. The higher the frequency the faster it can access what needs to be written.

So I would suggest if you don't like waiting, reduce the size of the Ramcache and assign it to an SSD if you can.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

Brighttail wrote:
if you are doing 10, 15, 20 GB)

😞 Im doing 16gb

So my guess is ive been destroying data everytime ive forced shutdown, let alone when ive cut off power from the psu switch :rolleyes:. Is that right.

Ive tried as you both say and if i do nothing, windows actually comes back from the shutting down blue screen where you see the programs blocking the shutting down process to the desktop again and with the ramcache window opened and the stop button highlighted. And after waiting for far more than you say nothing happens unless you press the stop button manually and again press the shutdown. :confused: So the whole shutdown becomes tedious and repetitive.

Pretty much. To make sure it all works fine, change it to 2GB and see if it reboots fine. If so then just know the larger you make the file, the longer it will take to reboot. I remember Linus did 48gb and it was about 14 minutes.

Overpopulation wrote:
😞 Im doing 16gb

So my guess is ive been destroying data everytime ive forced shutdown, let alone when ive cut off power from the psu switch :rolleyes:. Is that right.

Ive tried as you both say and if i do nothing, windows actually comes back from the shutting down blue screen where you see the programs blocking the shutting down process to the desktop again and with the ramcache window opened and the stop button highlighted. And after waiting for far more than you say nothing happens unless you press the stop button manually and again press the shutdown. :confused: So the whole shutdown becomes tedious and repetitive.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

Overpopulation wrote:
😞 Im doing 16gb

This issue still has not been resolved even v1.01.04 of RamCache II has this issue as Overpopulation said when restarting/powering down the computer hangs on the "this app is preventing shutdown" screen then after a while it goes back to desktop with just the RamCache software open and hanging, asking you to stop the program. Then you are able to close the program and sucessfully restart.
ASUS Maximus 13 Hero, Intel I9 11900k, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA

NeoBeum
Level 9
Same with hiberfil.sys

sdmf74
Level 11
I am no longer using RamCache II Version V1.01.04, Im pretty sure it is what caused errors on my new M.2 drive and several programs & my cd library on a secondary drive were corrupted, I had to reinstall much of the software & rebuild my index etc. This happened while using smart mode, Im not sure if using advanced mode of the software would produce the same issues.
ASUS Maximus 13 Hero, Intel I9 11900k, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA

Korth
Level 14
http://www.askvg.com/windows-tip-disable-this-app-is-preventing-shutdown-or-restart-screen/

But yeah, data can be corrupted if the RAMCache process is forced to terminate and/or Windows is forced to shutdown before the software's write cache can be written to disk.

RAMCache does offer exactly one option while running: a "Stop" button, lol. So you can use it without (much) risk of data loss if you always remember to stop the program before sleep/shutdown, at least on a battery-powered laptop or battery-backup/UPS desktop. Worth the effort if performance gains are noticeable.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]