cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DRAM Frequency on VIII Hero

RazerWaleed
Level 7
Hello,

I have installed Corsair DDR4 RAMs 8x2 on my MB, and i can see on default setting on the BIOS showing 2133Mhz where its 3200Mhz?

I tried to change it from the Extreme tweak to 3200 manually; but from the BIOS if i go to EZ-MODE (F7) i see the DRAM section shwing the two RAMS slot but with 2133MHz and not 3200Mhz?

Also from inside OS when i use CPU-Z and go to SPD Tab, i see in SLot#1 and Slot#3 following value for MAX Bandwidth ( DDR4-2133 (1066 Mhz).

Part Number:- CMK16GX4M2B3200C16.

Thanks.
21 REPLIES 21

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi RazerWaleed and Welcome to ROG 🙂

You have purchased OC DIMMs and not guaranteed to work. Your MB may support them however, will the CPU.?
Your CPU supports: Memory Type DDR4-1866/2133 and any frequency above 2133MHz is considered an OC. Your Bios will default to 2133MHz.
What this means is, it will depend on the strength of your processors IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) if it will play fair. You will have to change your Primary Timings and voltage manually in Bios to correspond with what is indicated in CPUz for your SPD information. You may have an XMP profile however there is no guarantee this will work.
If you can't get them to work at their rated frequency then return them and get 2133MHz DIMMs.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

MeanMachine wrote:
Hi RazerWaleed and Welcome to ROG 🙂

You have purchased OC DIMMs and not guaranteed to work. Your MB may support them however, will the CPU.?
Your CPU supports: Memory Type DDR4-1866/2133 and any frequency above 2133MHz is considered an OC. Your Bios will default to 2133MHz.
What this means is, it will depend on the strength of your processors IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) if it will play fair. You will have to change your Primary Timings and voltage manually in Bios to correspond with what is indicated in CPUz for your SPD information. You may have an XMP profile however there is no guarantee this will work.
If you can't get them to work at their rated frequency then return them and get 2133MHz DIMMs.

XMP will work....

emsir wrote:
XMP will work....

Very helpful answer emsir. And you know this as fact.?
Maybe you can also explain to RazerWaleed how you know this. :mad:
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

emsir
Level 8
RazerWaleed wrote:
Hello,

I have installed Corsair DDR4 RAMs 8x2 on my MB, and i can see on default setting on the BIOS showing 2133Mhz where its 3200Mhz?

I tried to change it from the Extreme tweak to 3200 manually; but from the BIOS if i go to EZ-MODE (F7) i see the DRAM section shwing the two RAMS slot but with 2133MHz and not 3200Mhz?

Also from inside OS when i use CPU-Z and go to SPD Tab, i see in SLot#1 and Slot#3 following value for MAX Bandwidth ( DDR4-2133 (1066 Mhz).

Part Number:- CMK16GX4M2B3200C16.

Thanks.

Enable XMP in Bios and your RAM is 3200 mhz.

Nate152
In EZ mode at the top of the bios page under information it should show your ram at 3200MHz.

elmor
Level 10
Where is it saying 2133MHz? See the picture below. The current running frequency is at Memory: 32768 MB (DDR4 3200). The DRAM Status is showing the reported JEDEC spec from the sticks.

hello all, and special thanks to MeanMachine for welcoming me and the replay.

thanks for the replay; then i was kinda cheated 😞 i was away from PC for years just thought to buy new PC medium end.

When running default its always 2133 and when i run TDU from bios its by default boasting the RAMs to 3200MHz and increasing the voltages to 1.5v or something around that. ( i could manage to use 1.35v. everywhere then report as 3200MHZ rams except in the EZ mode will show me the RAM part number beside it will show me the 2133 even though its overclocked. and in CPU-Z it show me also in the SPD DDR4-2133 whatever i do change in BIOS its not changing here.. unless i go to DOS and type ( wmic memorychip get speed ) it will report the 3200Mhz now im not sure if that is a real scenario or just a number since its modified in the bios?

Anyway simple Questions:-
1- what is the maximum DDR4 which is standard and not OCed? 2133?
2- my MB is ASUS and it said it support up to 3800mhz rams - if i OC to 3200 will it really give big different in performance?
3- if i OC my CPU from 4.2mhz to 4.6mhz without OC the RAMS will that work? or is it recommended to get better performance to OC the RAM as well?

4- Please see below images and advice me what is best to do. as my rams support 3200Mhz and its written on the chip it self. im planning to OC my PC, before that please help me that my current RAM + CPU configrution with its voltage is ok. currently im on CPU4.2 1.185v with 3200MHZ rams auto Voltage.

Default everything on auto except CPU voltage to as much as low

RAM FREQ set to 3200. If you see blew the DRAM status ram is still 2133.. and even in the CPU - Z same its 2133

Nate152
Hi RazerWaleed

In cpu-z click on the memory tab and double what the Dram frequency is showing, this is the actual speed your ram is running at. So for 3200MHz the Dram frequency should be showing 1600MHz.

1) 2133MHz is standard for z170.

2) Ram isn't a big factor in performance but you want to run it at its rated specs, it should make your pc a little more snappy and boost benchmark scores a little.

3) Set your ram to its rated specs and get it stable then proceed to overclock your cpu.

4) In some cases you will need a little more cpu core voltage with high speed ram, the voltages to play with to get high speed ram stable are:

CPU VCCIO voltage
CPU System Agent voltage
Dram voltage if needed.

I'd let the cpu core voltage at 1.l8v and play with the voltages above.

Thanks mate for your replay.

also point 1,2,3 are clear now to me.. so max ram now a days 2133 as rated specs

but two small Q

1- i checked on CPU-Z i see 1600Mhz as you mentioned (since i change it manually from bios to 3200) so thats mean at the moment im running on 3200mhz for the RAMs?
2-great advice to keep low CPU voltage so i will stick to 1.8v as it give me very low temp and good performance on 4.2mhz CPU

so now what i understand if i go for example to 4.5Mhz for CPU OC i can try keeping the CPU voltage to 1.8 and just increass the below? this what u mean? (EDIT) forgot it i just got your point if i face issue with increassing RAMS i can keep voltage of CPU same just increas blew... ok
CPU VCCIO voltage
CPU System Agent voltage
Dram voltage if needed.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi RazerWaleed

In cpu-z click on the memory tab and double what the Dram frequency is showing, this is the actual speed your ram is running at. So for 3200MHz the Dram frequency should be showing 1600MHz.

1) 2133MHz is standard for z170.

2) Ram isn't a big factor in performance but you want to run it at its rated specs, it should make your pc a little more snappy and boost benchmark scores a little.

3) Set your ram to its rated specs and get it stable then proceed to overclock your cpu.

4) In some cases you will need a little more cpu core voltage with high speed ram, the voltages to play with to get high speed ram stable are:

CPU VCCIO voltage
CPU System Agent voltage
Dram voltage if needed.

I'd let the cpu core voltage at 1.l8v and play with the voltages above.