cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS PG27AQ: The Best 27” 4K Gaming Monitor

Chino
Level 15

Gamers spend hundreds of dollars every year to improve their computer’s graphics performance. So, it doesn’t come as a surprise why the graphics card has always been considered the most beneficial upgrade for a gamer. Pascal is all the hype right now. The performance alone is a very big incentive to upgrade. But what is more important is the fact that performance improvements are becoming more substantial with each new generation. Following this logic, we can assume that we will eventually reach a point where the next rational upgrade for a gamer will be a monitor with a higher resolution instead of a graphics card. This can be illustrated with the following example. Imagine for a second that you own a monitor with a resolution of 2560 x 1440 and you just purchased a new Strix GTX 1080 to replace your aging graphics card. The chart below shows the level of performance that you can expect from your new graphics card.

Even if you’re a demanding gamer who always uses the highest detail settings with the eye candy cranked to the maximum, your average framerates will exceed the 70FPS mark easily at the 2560 x 1440 resolution. The results from this chart tell us two things. One, that you’ve reached the point of diminishing returns in terms of graphics power. And two, there is no point in upgrading the graphics card any further since you’ll notice far less benefits. On the other hand, a new 4K monitor represents a more noticeable upgrade. Although there are cheap models which might look attractive at first sight, you shouldn’t pull the trigger just yet. After all, a gamer's needs are different from that of a normal user. And unlike a CPU or graphics card, a 4K monitor is a long-term investment so purchasing the right one now will ensure that you remain satisfied in the years to come. The ASUS ROG Swift PG27AQ is one of the most ridiculously over-speced 4K monitors in the market right now. That’s reason enough to deserve a look.

Sleek Design With Ergonomic Body

Aesthetics has become a big part of a gaming system. Nobody breaks the bank to have an ugly system to show off to their guests. The ASUS PG27AQ has an eye catching design that blends in perfectly into any gaming setup without ruining the gamer status quo. The elegant matte-black exterior looks beautiful and is complemented by an interesting angular design. The bezel is pretty impressive too. At 6mm, it’s even slimmer than Cathie Jung’s waist making it an over qualified candidate for multi-display setups.

We all love hardware that glows. A gaming monitor wouldn’t be a gaming monitor without the LEDs, right? Well, you won’t be disappointed. The red ring and ROG logo aren’t just there for show. They light up beautifully in the dark which puts some bling to the monitor and your gaming setup.

But let’s stop being superficial for a second. If you look at the PG27AQ’s construction, you will notice that it might be the most ergonomic monitor that you have ever seen. The old days of positioning yourself on your chair to get the perfect picture are long gone. You can now swivel, adjust its height, pivot or tilt the monitor for your viewing pleasure. Is sun glare bothering you? Not a problem at all. Tilt or swivel the screen a few degrees and the glare will be gone. Let the monitor do the work.

Eyegasm With Measure

The principal benefit for stepping up to 4K resolution is the increased pixel count which results in images containing more detail and looking noticeably sharper. But what really differentiates the PG27AQ from other competing 4K monitors is the superior IPS panel. This makes monitor slightly more expensive over other TN offerings but you’re compensated with a higher quality screen that has superb color reproduction and greater viewing angles. The PG27AQ allows you to recline comfortably in your chair when you’re gaming which is not possible with TN panels because of the horrible color shifts. Some might argue that the PG27AQ’s higher response times (4ms) is a let down. In reality, it isn’t something that will affect your gaming experience hugely. Unless you’re a FPS gamer who competes on a competitive level, a lower response time almost seems irrelevant.

A common concern with 4K gaming is the difficulty to achieve the magical 60FPS standard with a single graphics card. And that is very true. It’s pretty hard to maintain a constant 60FPS in games without having to move into the multiple graphics card territory. But thanks to NVIDIA’s G-Sync technology, the gameplay is still pretty smooth despite the framerates not being around 60FPS. If you’re one of the very few who possess a trained eye and the higher FPS is important, turning down the graphics preset a notch is a valid solution.

What makes the PG27AQ a great monitor is that it doesn’t just excel in gaming but it’s also a very capable daily driver. Watching movies on it is a delight because of the sharp image and vibrant colors. On the other hand, the accurate color reproduction is fit for professional work like photo editing, image editing or just graphics design in general. The PG27AQ comes with several GameVisual presets that lets you conveniently switch back and forth between color profiles depending on the task at hand.

Marathon gaming sessions can be harmful to the eyes without proper protection. Gamers who value their eyesight will certainly appreciate the Ultra-low Blue Light Technology that is implemented into the PG27AQ. There is a total of 5 different levels to choose from which does a good job of adapting to various scenarios. You’ll be glad to know that lowering the amount of blue light didn’t compromise the image’s quality whatsoever.

Game-Changing Features That Matter

The ASUS PG27AQ, being a gaming monitor by nature, has a few tricks under its sleeve that will surely impress you. You can gain access to this arsenal of gaming features using the dedicated GamePlus button located on the right side of the monitor.

The first feature is an on-screen crosshair aimed at gamers who are fond of first person or third person shooters. There are a couple of practical situations where having this crosshair can give you an edge over your component. In CQC situations, you don’t always have the time to aim down the sights. In such cases, hip fire can be a powerful skill. Having the on-screen crosshair will allow you to land constant headshots on your enemy without having to worry about reticle spread from hip firing. Another situation where the crosshair comes in handy is when you’re chasing down an enemy who is running away from you. Stopping to aim will allow him to gain more distance over you. Instead you have a better chance of killing him if you chase him while hip firing.

The second feature in the GamePlus menu is a timer which can be programmed with different intervals of time. This feature is a valuable asset in real-time strategy games or multiplayer online battle arenas. Nevertheless, you can probably find use for the timer in other games. Take Tom Clancy’s The Division for instance. Dark Zone chests has a specific respawn time. You can put on the timer when you loot it and know when it will reset and thus optimizing your farming time.

The last feature, but not the least important, is the FPS counter. Performance conscious junkies who like to gaze at their FPS while gaming will find this feature useful. It serves as a powerful diagnostic tool to analyze your framerates if you feel that you’re getting subpar performance from your graphics card. As you can see, the features on ASUS PG27AQ are far from being a marketing gimmick. You just need to understand what each feature does and how to exploit it to your advantage.

What is your opinion on 4K? Do you see yourself making the jump in the near future? Let me know in the comments below.
29 REPLIES 29

toronto699
Level 13
Chino Nice Review and great insight , Ive been looking at the PG27AQ but not for gaming , but for 4k video editing tv broadcast video , my only problem is an Ultra HD Blu-ray drive burner . {HD ultra HD burner HDR-10 high dynamic range metadata } internal PC drive would be better but ill take an ultra HD external drive to. in house at our editing suites its no problem , but on the road editing 4k broadcast video is a no go unless u edit from the 4k beta cam itself very long slow process. Thanks for the monitor insight. 4k is the future in gaming TV broadcast {sports , news , entertainment} but the 2020 Olympics in Japan will be broadcast in 8K by NHK TV , CBC TV , CBS]

Bahz
Level 12
Awesome and very in-depth review, thanks for sharing Chino

toronto699 wrote:
Chino Nice Review and great insight , Ive been looking at the PG27AQ but not for gaming , but for 4k video editing tv broadcast video , my only problem is an Ultra HD Blu-ray drive burner . {HD ultra HD burner HDR-10 high dynamic range metadata } internal PC drive would be better but ill take an ultra HD external drive to. in house at our editing suites its no problem , but on the road editing 4k broadcast video is a no go unless u edit from the 4k beta cam itself very long slow process. Thanks for the monitor insight. 4k is the future in gaming TV broadcast {sports , news , entertainment} but the 2020 Olympics in Japan will be broadcast in 8K by NHK TV , CBC TV , CBS]

See if you can find the PG27AQ on display somewhere. I would love for you to try it. It truly is an amazing monitor. 🙂

Bahz wrote:
Awesome and very in-depth review, thanks for sharing Chino

😉

jp0209
Level 7
It's an amazing monitor...if you get a good one. I'm on my 2nd and it will be going back as well. The 2nd one had a QC passed sticker on it. 1st one had horrible BLB at bottom left and a pressure point / oval in the center just like pcmonitors website review. 2nd one has what I think is a dust speck that I can't flick down below the viewable screen area for the life of me. Also a small yellow splotch toward the right side of the screen. For $850 - $899 this monitor is an absolute joke and just as disgusting as the PG279Q. What a joke these AUO panels are. PC building is supposed to be fun and monitor shopping has been the most frustrating experience I've ever gone through. It's almost enough for me to just sell off my rig and be done completely, I'm that frustrated. I just had an Acer XB271 die on me and was advised that this PG27A would be a great replacement. Be it Acer or Asus, both companies suck and we shouldn't have to go through a lottery to get a good one.

I've never had any issue with any IPS TV, ever. Same with other IPS monitors. I hope you feel the financial pain of everyone's returns, Asus. Your monitor division is disgusting and I wish nothing but the worst for AUO.

jp0209 wrote:

I've never had any issue with any IPS TV, ever. Same with other IPS monitors. I hope you feel the financial pain of everyone's returns, Asus. Your monitor division is disgusting and I wish nothing but the worst for AUO.

So you hope they go bankrupt and shutdown so that no one makes us a 165hz IPS panel. Get rekt AUO!!! lol
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 OC core:2055Mhz Mem:5504Mhz

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you like what I post, hit that Rep button.
If i'm posting here it's only because I'm at work and have nothing better to do other than solve your problems.

Crashcourse316 wrote:
So you hope they go bankrupt and shutdown so that no one makes us a 165hz IPS panel. Get rekt AUO!!! lol

Lol. I was a tad angry. I'm still highly frustrated with all of it, currently monitor-less and using my laptop. My frustration goes back to the Acer XB270, I went through several and gave up (all had dead / stuck pixels, and yes a hair under the screen). Went through a few PG279 before I gave up, and more XB271's than I can count. Finally got a good XB271 and it died after 7 months. My store suggested this PG27A as a great replacement and it is the same nonsense with this panel- dust, poor uniformity, BLB, and oval pressure spot smack in center of the screen. The common components are these junk AUO panels. If Asus wants to charge me $859 for this monitor, I expect a near perfect screen with minimal BLB, maybe slightly uneven uniformity, but that's it. Terrible QC all around.

jp0209 wrote:
Lol. I was a tad angry. I'm still highly frustrated with all of it, currently monitor-less and using my laptop. My frustration goes back to the Acer XB270, I went through several and gave up (all had dead / stuck pixels, and yes a hair under the screen). Went through a few PG279 before I gave up, and more XB271's than I can count. Finally got a good XB271 and it died after 7 months. My store suggested this PG27A as a great replacement and it is the same nonsense with this panel- dust, poor uniformity, BLB, and oval pressure spot smack in center of the screen. The common components are these junk AUO panels. If Asus wants to charge me $859 for this monitor, I expect a near perfect screen with minimal BLB, maybe slightly uneven uniformity, but that's it. Terrible QC all around.

Lol yea I went through 4 of the 279's returned them all and bought a cheap ASUS 24" 144hz monitor for lke $10 and a bunch of best buy points. waited a few months and got another 279 and it's good enough to keep. Minor bleeds in like 2-3 spots and the have faded with use. and Just a bit more than usual IPS glow, but every single one of these has that issue even at lower brightness so I'm ok with it considering I have a IPS panel at 1440p and 165hz....
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 OC core:2055Mhz Mem:5504Mhz

If you like what I post, hit that Rep button.
If i'm posting here it's only because I'm at work and have nothing better to do other than solve your problems.

I have to buy a new monitor. I was oriented to the PG279 due to basically the PC is used for gaming purposes. Do you I have to move myself to this new one 4k monitor?

ffalcone wrote:
I have to buy a new monitor. I was oriented to the PG279 due to basically the PC is used for gaming purposes. Do you I have to move myself to this new one 4k monitor?

Once you go 4K, you won't go back. I came from 1080P so playing on 4K was like day and night for me.

Also what kind of games do you play? It'll be pretty hard to hit 165FPS on modern AAA titles unless you're willing to sacrifice a lot of eye candy.