cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fresh OS install on new HD in G72GX. Drivers available not everything needed!

SolusCascade
Level 7
Well, I have really enjoyed my Asus Laptop, inevitably, the hard drive failed.
I installed a new hard drive and installed windows 7 pro 64bit. Primary issue I am experiencing is that the buttons on top do not work and I cannot play any games. I downloaded and installed all of the drivers from https://www.asus.com/US/supportonly/G72GX/HelpDesk_download and also installed latest drivers for gpu from nvidea website.

Can someone assist me with locating the propreitary software for this computer? Something just isn't right with the downloads available... Speciality buttons not working and keyboard backlight not working...I can answer any questions. Thanks for your time assisting with this issue!!
3 REPLIES 3

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Welcome to the forums!

If you haven't seen it, please check the ASUS G72GX download site below.
http://www.asus.com/US/supportonly/G72GX/HelpDesk_download

Not sure exactly what is causing the problems you are seeing, but hopefully the website has what you need and don't forget to check under the 'utilities' section for the ATKACPI driver. Hope it helps!

cl-Albert wrote:
Welcome to the forums!

If you haven't seen it, please check the ASUS G72GX download site below.
http://www.asus.com/US/supportonly/G72GX/HelpDesk_download

Not sure exactly what is causing the problems you are seeing, but hopefully the website has what you need and don't forget to check under the 'utilities' section for the ATKACPI driver. Hope it helps!

Me neither. As stated before I have tried installing all of the drivers, including that specified atkacpi driver... Frustrating that its not working.
After you replied I decided to install Windows on a BRAND NEW Hard Drive. Burned the microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64Bit: X17-59186.iso to a blank dvd from my digital river. Installed that driver first and still same result... Any ideas? Any link to an image of the propreitary driver disk?

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Unfortunately, my memory for those units is a bit fuzzy at this point, but from what I remember, pretty much everything you need should be on the download site (minus any licensed software for DVD playback or CD burning which would come on separate disks).

Not sure if it can help, but if you haven't installed those other ATK-related files under the 'utilities' section, consider giving those a try if you have the time and interest and confirm at least the brightness and volume keys work along with the onscreen display (which probably isn't related to the keyboard issue though).

Just wanted to confirm the keyboard lights worked before the reinstall and from what I remember, the keyboard lights on those earlier models flash momentarily at power up if you can verify this to make sure the hardware is working okay.

Unfortunately, don't have a copy of the driver disk around, so hopefully others are able to help with this if it's necessary, but not so sure that it would really make a difference this time. Thanks.