cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL702VM keyboard stops working or key "stuck" occasionally

xarot
Level 11
Hello,

I've had two occurrences with my brand new GL702VM where the keyboard completely stops working and it is inputting constantly a single character on the screen like there was a key stuck. Rebooting or closing and opening the lid solves this issue. Since it's a brand new laptop, I've only tested some games to "burn in" the laptop like setting all power states and Vsync off and try get the max temps using games like Witcher 3 and Metro: LL. After I've exited the game about one hour mark, the keyboard stopped working.

This happened on the latest 303 BIOS that includes some fixes for the keyboard. I tried to flash the old BIOS (300 version) back and so far, no issues!

Any thoughts Asus guys? Also this customer has written that the new BIOS completely bricked his keyboard.

https://www.amazon.com/review/R312RAVE6LRV0K/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B01KB0W4R0&channel=deta...
Main: i9-10980XE - Rampage VI Extreme Encore - 64 GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600 CL16 - Strix RTX 3090 - Phanteks Enthoo Primo - Corsair AX1500i - Samsung 960 PRO 1 TB + Intel 600P 1TB - Water cooling
HTPC: i7-6950X - X99-M WS - 32 GB G.Skill RipjawsV DDR4-2400 - GTX1050TI - Bitfenix Pandora - Corsair AX860 - Intel 750 400 GB + Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO
All around: i9-7980XE - Rampage VI Extreme - 64 GB G.Skill 4000 CL18-19-19-39 - Strix RTX3090 - Phanteks P500A - Samsung 960 EVO 512 GB - Water cooling
34 REPLIES 34

link626
Level 7
Any thoughts Asus guys?

Typical asus, releasing buggy sh** and not testing their own hardware.

i saw that amazon review before.

keep the old bios, and email asus to get those dummies to fix the bios. And keep following up with them on the bios issue because they have a knack for procrastinating.

hopefully the old bios solves your issue for good

I am having the same problems with stuck keys on my gl702vm and I am trying to flash the bios down to version 3.00 from 3.03
However, the Asus provided WinFlash application does not let me downgrade the bios, only upgrades as it seems.

How did you go about to downgrade the bios on your machine?
I could really use some tips.
Thanks!

Best regards,
Henrik

xarot
Level 11
Replied to your PM.

You can flash older BIOS from administrator command prompt by typing "winflash /nodate".
Main: i9-10980XE - Rampage VI Extreme Encore - 64 GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600 CL16 - Strix RTX 3090 - Phanteks Enthoo Primo - Corsair AX1500i - Samsung 960 PRO 1 TB + Intel 600P 1TB - Water cooling
HTPC: i7-6950X - X99-M WS - 32 GB G.Skill RipjawsV DDR4-2400 - GTX1050TI - Bitfenix Pandora - Corsair AX860 - Intel 750 400 GB + Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO
All around: i9-7980XE - Rampage VI Extreme - 64 GB G.Skill 4000 CL18-19-19-39 - Strix RTX3090 - Phanteks P500A - Samsung 960 EVO 512 GB - Water cooling

Oh thank god for this post and on-screen keyboard! ASUS better fix this problem soon. I also want to ask is there a difference between the 2 versions of bios 303? One is GL702VM-AS.303 which specifically mentions it fixes issue with keyboard well the other doesn't mention keyboard issue. I have also been having an issue where the laptop doesn't completely shut down.

T.

U2Desire wrote:
Oh thank god for this post and on-screen keyboard! ASUS better fix this problem soon. I also want to ask is there a difference between the 2 versions of bios 303? One is GL702VM-AS.303 which specifically mentions it fixes issue with keyboard well the other doesn't mention keyboard issue. I have also been having an issue where the laptop doesn't completely shut down.

T.

I have the same issue as yours, can you tell me if the new laptop solved your issue?

Same issue here with the keyboard with my 2 months old laptop. The keyboard simply stopped working after shutting down the computer and restarting it. Only button that works seems to be the power button. My Bios version is GL702VM.300, so at least for me the problem is not in the bios version 303.

Will be sending the laptop to maintenance on Monday, hopefully they will provide me a new unit. Extremely frustrating.

Asus seems to have serious quality issues:
My previous laptop was ROG G551JM --> 1.st unit's spacebar was DOA and had to do RMA --> got a new one and that worked fine
Now when upgrading I:
1. Purchased Asus FX553VD laptop --> one letter on the keyboard did not register presses --> had to return it.
2. Purchased Asus VivoPC --> graphics card was DOA --> had to return it.
3. Purchased this GL702VM --> was happy with it for this 2 months, and now this.

Am I seriously that unlucky ?

i have gl702vmk and the problem is that it over heating after i used winflash to update it to bios 303 from 300 yesterday.

I am not playing any games and the fan speed is on max and i still get 60 to 65 degrees celcius both cpu and gpu.

so i want to downgrade the bios but i tried winflash /nodate it seems not to work for me and giving me this answer -----> 'winflash' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

i need help.

thank you.

Same problem with my GL503VD. Just bought it recently (2 months ago) and my keyboard occasionally stops or hangs at random times.

Hope ASUS will release a patch or BIOS update on this issue soon. Really freaking annoying!

Konnect wrote:
Same problem with my GL503VD. Just bought it recently (2 months ago) and my keyboard occasionally stops or hangs at random times.

Hope ASUS will release a patch or BIOS update on this issue soon. Really freaking annoying!

Im having the same issue? Do you have any fix for it already?