cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Aura Software using up to 20% CPU?

Brighttail
Level 11
Hey all,

So when I first reboot my computer, the Aura software runs and doesn't take up a lot of CPU processing, but after running for a few hours, I'm seeing it creep up to 5, 10, 15 and even 20% CPU usage just running in the background. I'm using the latest version and was wondering if anyone had similar experiences and if so has anyone figured out why or a work around.

I originally started investigating this when I found my idle temps hovering around 45C. With a fresh start of Aura, I'm back down to 32C but when it is using the CPU that much, it is the equivalent of running Steam Games or other intensive program.

Yes I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it in a new directory even. For some reason the longer it runs, the more it uses the CPU.

I'm on WIn 10 with my system specs in my signature.

Help?
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop
42 REPLIES 42

onmybikedrunk
Level 7
I remember having this issue as well the last time I did a Windows install. I just did a reinstall of Win 10 and since I remembered having this issue I figured I'd do a quick search. If I remember correctly I used an old version for a different motherboard (I'm on the X99 Strix) and it fixed the leak. What version of Aura are you using?

Brighttail
Level 11
The beta version which may be the issue. I switched back to the normal version which doesn't sync my spatha up and it has resolved, so an issue with the Aura version.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

I've experienced the same thing as you on the latest stable version and Beta versions. I'm using a Z170 PRO GAMING/AURA board.

What I've noticed is that this excessive CPU usage tends to happen if you have it set to certain LED modes in AURA. For example, I had it set on Rainbow and after a few hours of gaming the LEDs freeze and the CPU shots up.

However, I've now set it to CPU temperature mode (not my LED option of choice) and I have yet to see this problem coming up after hours of gaming/watching videos/youtube/testing etc.

I'm still in the process of testing but the Aura Service has not been malfunctioning since.

I guess they need to look into certain LED modes and do some gaming testing to see how its freezing because this is what I've been experiencing.

Bahz
Level 12
Thanks for reporting this, 20% CPU usage is a bit too high, we'll work with software team to fine tune and resolve this issue.

Can you please all list your OS, graphics card you're using, the AURA software version, and also your graphics driver.

Thanks,
Bahz

Bahz wrote:
Thanks for reporting this, 20% CPU usage is a bit too high, we'll work with software team to fine tune and resolve this issue.

Can you please all list your OS, graphics card you're using, the AURA software version, and also your graphics driver.

Thanks,
Bahz

I'm using windows 10 pro. I'm using the MSI Seahawk EK-x 1070. Aura version is AURA V1.03.48. GPU version I'm not sure. I'm on the most current one that updated today via Nvidia Experience so i can't tell you honestly what version it was when I started this thread.

Just launched my Aura app, it shows 0.1% CPU use and 9.9 MB memory use.
Using Windows 10 Home.

The task manager on my new ROG IX Hero build shows 15-20% usage by the aura software and the software would lock up when launched. I deleted the software but am interested in reinstalling it to see if the problem was a corrupt installation. Can anyone point me to the location for a download of the most current version?

Win 10 Pro, EVGA GTX 1080 FTW,

Thanks, Paul

Paul92688 wrote:
The task manager on my new ROG IX Hero build shows 15-20% usage by the aura software and the software would lock up when launched. I deleted the software but am interested in reinstalling it to see if the problem was a corrupt installation. Can anyone point me to the location for a download of the most current version?

Win 10 Pro, EVGA GTX 1080 FTW,

Thanks, Paul

check here, enter your Winsdows version: Aura

This is an issue I've run into as well with the Aura software. I like having my GPU and motherboard synced up, but it's no good if the software is running at 10-15% in the background no matter what I try to do. Even shutting the lights off doesn't slow the CPU usage down at all. There's just no reason I can think of for their software to use up that much of my CPU.

I hope ASUS gets a fix in for this soon.