cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1TB 960 Pro Initial results

JustinThyme
Level 13
OK managed to source a 1TB 960 Pro for my new desktop build. Im going to add another and put them in a raid 0 when they become more readily available.

Good improvement over the 950 pro, Polaris rocks.
One thing I did note as usual there is little to no difference between Native Win 10 Pro and Samsungs NVMe drivers. Well within the margin of error on the difference. I ran these immediately after install with an empty drive. GPT partition NTFS file system with 10% unallocated for over provisioning. One thing really interesting is the New Samsung magician is pretty much worthless. Nothing there! Ramdrive is not even an option. Its like why did they waste their time on the interface? Everything is GONE!

Win 10 Native

Samsung

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein
7 REPLIES 7

Menthol
Level 14
Mine arrived a couple days ago, I read an article on the software that said they rebuilt it from ground up and may be more options in the future, but really do you need the ramdrive, if so ASUS ramdrive works on all drives, well it did on the 950 and Intel 750 but I don't use it, fun to see crazy numbers

JustinThyme
Level 13
No I dont use the ram drive, what I have now is blazingly fast as it is and anxious to see what it does in raid 0 when the next one arrives and at that point their drivers and software is a moot point as they still cannot see past a raid controller 100% of the time. Third party apps like HW info and AIDA64 can identify the drives but Samsung software cannot? Doesnt matter anyhow, All the software tweaks of the past is nothing you couldn't do without it yourself if you know where to look and what to tweak. The only thing their software is good for is a firmware update if one ever comes around and is needed.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

kkn
Level 14
you will not gain mutch by raiding the drives, unless you have a server witch is made for testing R/W and transfer speed on.
witch is my opinion.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Raid 0 with DMI bottleneck.
Been verified elsewhere that if the drives are both installed in PCIE slots that are not controlled by the PCH controller and software raid is used one can get 6800 MBps sequential read.

JustinThyme wrote:
Raid 0 with DMI bottleneck.
Been verified elsewhere that if the drives are both installed in PCIE slots that are not controlled by the PCH controller and software raid is used one can get 6800 MBps sequential read.

Source?

RAIDing can show amazing speeds but the longevity of those speeds comes into question due to loosing TRIM when RAIDing.

Shanester wrote:
RAIDing can show amazing speeds but the longevity of those speeds comes into question due to loosing TRIM when RAIDing.

This used to be an issue. No longer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trim_(computing)

As of August 2012, Intel confirms that 7-series chipsets with Rapid Storage Technology (RST) 11.2 drivers support TRIM for RAID 0 in Microsoft Windows 7

Shanester wrote:
Source?

Source would be my machine. M9F with 7700K.

No issue whatsoever with trim command since the M2 drives have been released unless you are using an OS that densest support it.