cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAM Advice Needed

panzlock
Level 12
Was going to purchase GeIL white Dragon RAM for new build but suddenly it became popular and shot up in price from $114.99 to $149.99. It's a 16GB 3200Mhz C16 Dual Channel kit. My question is, how beneficial is 3200Mhz RAM? Would I notice a difference between that and lets say......2800Mhz? Or even 2400Mhz? If so, how significant would it be?

Rest of system: Intel i7-6700K
ASUS Z170-A
GTX 1070
SuperNOVA 850 P2
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.
14 REPLIES 14

Nate152
Hi Panzlock,

I see in your specs you have a GTX 1070, did you make it the ROG Strix 1070? 🙂

You know I'm still a little up in the air on this, in all honesty I don't think ram plays that big of a roll in performance, I've tested Doom with my ram and cpu at stock speeds then overclocked them both and I only say like a 1 FPS gain. The slower ram usually has tighter timings with the faster ram having looser timings so to me it's pretty much a trade off and not much of a performance difference, if anything it may help with minimum frames per second.

But when I come across this it makes me wonder and it may depend on the game how much of a performance increase you get.

http://www.techspot.com/article/1171-ddr4-4000-mhz-performance/page3.html

You could go with the slower kit and overclock it, DDR4 overclocks pretty well and I bet you can get the 2400MHz kit to 3000MHz with loosening of the timings.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Panzlock,

I see in your specs you have a GTX 1070, did you make it the ROG Strix 1070? 🙂

But when I come across this it makes me wonder and it may depend on the game how much of a performance increase you get.

http://www.techspot.com/article/1171-ddr4-4000-mhz-performance/page3.html

You could go with the slower kit and overclock it, DDR4 overclocks pretty well and I bet you can get the 2400MHz kit to 3000MHz with loosening of the timings.

Thanks Nate.

And no, I haven't pulled the trigger on the 1070 yet. Still snooping around and checking on deficiencies. MSI has the least at this point, but ASUS seems to have the best product aesthetically and performance wise. Still leaning toward the ASUS ROG but it may be a gamble.

Nate152 wrote:
Some more pics for you. 🙂

Yes, yes. You're quite the salesman but I'm not easily convinced by something like aesthetics. My 560 Ti has been running flawlessly fro the past 4 years and I expect something similar out of a product that costs as much as the 1070. THAT...is what I'm looking for.

And although Gigabyte still provides a decent product (albeit a slightly warmer one) the competition is really between ASUS and MSI. With ASUS maintaining a very narrow lead at this juncture, but mainly due to the cards general profile in terms of specs and looks, losing out on reliability since I've seen little complaining about MSI cards thus far. I just need to be sure the ROG Strix fan issues are not as common as EVGA's heat and VRM/VRAM problem. I don't need a disaster on such a scale.

I'm gonna keep you in suspense. 😉

panzlock wrote:
I'm gonna keep you in suspense. 😉

No, you aren't. We don't have the time or desire for suspense.

Heini wrote:
No, you aren't. We don't have the time or desire for suspense.

It's not up to you.

Nate152 wrote:
Some more pics for you. 🙂

Hey, Nate......Guess what i got?

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
Not very.

Elaborate.