cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bious update

trainut
Level 7
HI all I am at present way behind with my bios 1401 I think, never done it before got the latest for my m/b on flash drive, now my question is I am at present running at 4.6, do I have to clear c/mos and return to stock 4mhz before I start rgds any tips welcome
5 REPLIES 5

oh I thought you were supposed to keep up , thought the updates gave more stability, I am only on 1401 it is now 3002 I am fairly stable at 4.6 ill hold of see how it goes

Chino
Level 15
Well, BIOS updates are good for two things. If you have a certain problem with your system that a newer revision can solve, then you update the BIOS. And two, if the newer revision offers a functionality that wasn't present before but you're planning on using, then update as well. 🙂

JustinThyme
Level 13
Im an update junky myself. Some say if its working leave it etc. I tend to always go for the newer version and if I have problems after updating rolling back to what worked.

In any event before you attempt any update always go into the BIOS and hit f5 to load default values. If you have you raid configs you will need to set those setting back to how they need to be especially if your OS is on there or its an array you dont want to lose data on. I always go the the PCH storage controller and record my settings so I know I get it right after f5 as thats going to set everything to default.

After you have all this sorted Ive always used winflash. Its easy to use and no need to worry about a USB drive etc. Simply put the file where you can find it, launch winflash, point it to the ROM of your choice and let her rip. The machine will reboot and launch the bios flash tool as if you lauched it from the BIOs or the button on the MOBO. It will verify the ROM erase the old, install the new then reset. On reset spam the f2 or del key to get back into the BIOS because again, if you have raid arrays you are going to need to set that back up the same as they were before the flash. Then f10 save and exit and you are set. On subsequent reboot you can go back and re enter your tweaks for OC.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Terepin
Level 8
This BIOS actually added a lot of new stuff and reorganized some settings.