cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to install a rar. file?

Not_Enough_Rage
Level 11
I was going to update the RivaTuner Statistics program for MSI AfterBurner. But it is a rar. file, and I could`nt remember how to install the rar. file after downloading. I did it when I installed AB the first time, but I don`t remember how I did it.
So, I thought it would be easier to just delete the AB program and re-download it, but it is also a rar. file.
Can anyone explain how to install AB, using File Explorer or something already on W10. I don`t want to have to get an app from the app store. I don`t like third party software that much. Unless I have to.
Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6

ChiefZeke
Level 10
The RAR file is a compressed file; similar to ZIP - you need the uncompression program for RAR files
Lian-Li PC-A77F Full Tower case
PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1200 ATX12V & EPS12V PSU
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 X79
Intel Core i7-3960X 3.31 LGA 2011 CPU
Intel RTS2011LC Liquid Cooling Solution
Kingston KHX24C11T3K4/32X (quad 32Gb memory kit) 2 each
ASUS Radeon HD7970 DirectCUII 3Gb GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card (two in CrossfireX Mode)
Western Digital Cavier Black 2Tb SATA III 6.0GB/S
OCZ Technologies Vertex 4 SATAIII 6Gb/s 512Gb SSD

Korth
Level 14
RAR offers better (smaller) compression than ZIP. The free RAR archiver happens to also be capable of handling ZIP formats and a large variety of other common compression formats. RARLab isn't "third party", it's actively supported, it's been around on many platforms and operating systems for many years and will be around for many more - WinRAR and Comparison of File Archivers on Wikipedia - but most people have only heard about ZIP instead simply because WinZip (along with numerous predecessors and successors, extensions, tools, and add-ons) are heavily marketed commercial software.

You may or may not have had a dedicated ZIP archiver (like WinZip) already installed on your PC. And you would never really need it anyhow: simple ZIP compression is built into Windows (as of WinXP-SP1, anyhow). WinRAR can also do the same job just as easily, a little faster, and much better.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

larry0071
Level 7
7zip, much better than Winzip.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I installed 7zip to open MSI Afterburner, but it does`nt open it either. What the heck am I doing wrong? I didn`t have an .RAR archiver when I installed Afterburner the first time.

Korth
Level 14
Then just download a non-RAR version of the Afterburner software, lol, ZIP-compressed version from the official site. Most drivers and software are available in executable or non-executable formats - executable things will directly run in your OS or browser to setup and launch the thing, non-executables are usually compressed into a single package which the user needs to manually uncompress and install/run. ZIP is perhaps the most common compression format (because it's built into Windows), but sometimes RAR or other things are chosen instead (because they compress into smaller, more efficient packages). Maybe the guys at MSI chose this format yesterday, that one today, another one tomorrow - things change.

7Zip is indeed better than WinZip. And 7Zip is vastly inferior to WinRAR (which can handle all 7Zip formats). Although 7Zip is completely free, while WinZip and WinRAR can be used for free indefinitely but they are commercial wares and will start to relentlessly bug you for registration/payments after a while.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Yes, you can use the Explorer to install a rar/zip file. The steps are simple: "Windows + E" open the File Explorer > find the zip file > right click, select "Extract All" > "Browse", select the save location > select "Show extracted files when finished" > click "Extract" > Finish.