cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max Resolution with External Monitor on G501VW @60Hz ??

hacdias
Level 7
Hello!

I have a G501VW-76B96PB1 with 4K display and the following specifications:

----
CPU: 6th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ Quad-Core 2.6 GHz with Turbo 3.5 GHz 6 MB Cache
Chipset: Intel® HM170 Express
RAM: 16GB (8GB onboard + 8GB) DDR4 2133 MHz
Display: 15.6" LED Back-lit Ultra Slim 300nits UHD 3840X2160 16:9 Anti-Glare NTSC: 72%
GPU: Intel® HD Graphics 530 + NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX960M 4GB GDDR5
Storage: SSD M.2 512GB PCIEx4
Card reader: Leitor de cartões 2 -em-1 (SD/ SDXC/ MMC)
WebCam: HD Web Camera
Communcations: Wireless 802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.0 (Dual band) - WIDI
Interface:
1 x Microphone-in/Headphone-out jack
1 x Port USB 3.1 TYPE C (gen 2)
3 x Ports USB 3.0
1 x HDMI 1.4
Audio: Colunas Integradas e Microfone Bang & Olufsen
---

I'd like to know the maximum display resolution for an external monitor (only one) at 60 Hz. Is it possible to have another 4K screen at 60 Hz refresh rate? What is better, HDMI or Thunderbolt 3?

Thanks 🙂
2 REPLIES 2

Sheltem
Level 9
hacdias wrote:
I'd like to know the maximum display resolution for an external monitor (only one) at 60 Hz. Is it possible to have another 4K screen at 60 Hz refresh rate? What is better, HDMI or Thunderbolt 3?

Thanks 🙂

HDMI version 1 cannot handle 4K resolutions at 60Hz. It COULD handle 4K at 30Hz or less, assuming the graphics card that you are going to connect it to has proper support for such a configuration (problems with that may be observed on Optimus-enabled laptops, though, and yours should have the integrated graphics disabled altogether).
You would need to confirm that both the graphics card and the external monitor support HDMI 2.0 or above to use this port.

Thunderbolt is essentially an "improved" (layman's terms) DisplayPort, thus this port will definitely be able to handle 4K @ 60Hz, assuming the connecting cable itself is able to (some lower quality DP cables that are advertised as 1.2 might pose an issue).

Assuming HDMI 1.4 or lower and only one DP 1.2 compatible port* on the card, this would mean only one external screen.
* - Any of DP 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 and Thunderbolt are compatible (more info)
He who invokes history is always secure.
The dead will not rise to witness against him.

You can accuse them of any deeds you like.
Their reply will always be silence.

Thanks! THat's all I wanted to know 🙂