cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPUID HWMonitor sudden slow load times - BIOS or Windows issue??

zildac
Level 7
Hi,

I wonder if anyone else can confirm whether they have seen this behaviour. I updated my Hero BIOS to 3007 from 2202. And manually rekeyed all my O/C settings (had a text file dump for reference). However I noticed that CPUID HWMonitor now takes a long time to start up, previously (on 2202) it would take about 3 seconds, now it takes about 30 seconds. So, logically I concluded that the issue was with the BIOS so I "flashed-back" to 2202...Guess what ,exactly the same behaviour!

So, then I got thinking what else had changed since the last time I ran the utility, and the only other thing that has changed were the batch of Windows 10 updates released last week'ish. For additional info the latest version of CPU-Z also hangs on "updates" however the version that launches from ROG Benchmark tool does not. I'm guessing something has changed with the way the necessary info is pulled from Windows 10 as a result of the updates, but this is purely a guess....

Can anyone else confirm if they are seeing this behaviour?

Specs for Info:
i7-6700K (O/C 4.7)
Maximus VIII Hero
16GB Corsair DDR4 (3200)
Gigabyte G1 1070
Windows 10 Pro
5 REPLIES 5

ryegrass
Level 7
zildac wrote:
Hi,

I wonder if anyone else can confirm whether they have seen this behaviour. I updated my Hero BIOS to 3007 from 2202. And manually rekeyed all my O/C settings (had a text file dump for reference). However I noticed that CPUID HWMonitor now takes a long time to start up, previously (on 2202) it would take about 3 seconds, now it takes about 30 seconds. So, logically I concluded that the issue was with the BIOS so I "flashed-back" to 2202...Guess what ,exactly the same behaviour!

So, then I got thinking what else had changed since the last time I ran the utility, and the only other thing that has changed were the batch of Windows 10 updates released last week'ish. For additional info the latest version of CPU-Z also hangs on "updates" however the version that launches from ROG Benchmark tool does not. I'm guessing something has changed with the way the necessary info is pulled from Windows 10 as a result of the updates, but this is purely a guess....

Can anyone else confirm if they are seeing this behaviour?

Specs for Info:
i7-6700K (O/C 4.7)
Maximus VIII Hero
16GB Corsair DDR4 (3200)
Gigabyte G1 1070
Windows 10 Pro

I know it's been quite some time since this thread was posted, but it comes up as the first result when searching for this problem on Google. I had exactly the same problem ( in July of 2021), where all of a sudden HWMonitor took almost 20 seconds every time it started instead of its normal 2-3 seconds. Well the solution, at least in my case was that the UPDATES flag in the hwmonitorw.ini file was changed from a 0 to a 1 resulting in HWMonitor checking for updates at every start. Changing the flag back to UPDATES=0 then saving the .ini file fixed this for me.

dwcraig1
Level 7
A pretty old thread here but it solved my problem which was the same as above. I had to use safe mode in order to get the file to save.
Worked like a charm.
Well it worked like a charm till the 2nd regular reboot then it was back to being slow to fully load.

It also worked for me like a charm!

Big Thanks!

No need for safe mode. Save the file as .ini on your desktop first and then drag into the application directory. UAC will do the rest and replace file accordingly. 

Do the same for both CPUZ and HWMonitor. 

Surprisingly, this behavior only occurs on Overclocked systems and if you leave everything on stock, checking for updates take a split second. 

hmm definitely not, happened in my new system and is not overclocked, also not even a month old