cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to overclock RX 480 ROG Strix?

Kalyori
Level 7
Hi,

First time overclocker here. Just finished with the CPU a little while ago (i5 6600K @ 4.4GHz.)

I've read the guide for RX 460 here: http://rog.asus.com/articles/gaming-graphics-cards/guide-overclock-rog-strix-rx-460/

I have a few questions...

1. Is it better to marginally up the voltage and find when it's stable rather than just maxing it?
2. What is considered a completely safe voltage for this card?
3. How does power target affect the overclocking?
4. Is it risky running out of stock speeds? Can my GPU get fried?

Appreciate any help!

Cheers
26 REPLIES 26

Nate152
Hi Kalyori

1) It's safe to crank the voltage and the power target to the max then start with overclocking the boost clock a little at a time until the driver crashes then back it off a notch or two, be sure to click apply after making any changes in GPU Tweak II. Once you find the max boost clock then move on to the memory and overclock it the same way, you can use increments of 100 for the memory.

2) The voltage cranked to the max is completely safe and will yield you the highest boost clock possible.

3) The power target allows the gpu to use more power if needed.

4) There is no risk of frying your gpu as the voltage is capped and the max voltage I got for the ROG RX 460 was 1.287v, Survious reported his ROG RX 460 with a max voltage of 1.325v. When increasing the voltage you want to pay attention to the temps but with Asus's DirectCU II cooling you shouldn't have to worry about temps and your gpu should run nice and cool. Max temp is 95c and you shouldn't come close to that, you can set a fan curve in GPU Tweak II if you wish but you shouldn't need to.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Kalyori

1) It's safe to crank the voltage and the power target to the max then start with overclocking the boost clock a little at a time until the driver crashes then back it off a notch or two, be sure to click apply after making any changes in GPU Tweak II. Once you find the max boost clock then move on to the memory and overclock it the same way, you can use increments of 100 for the memory.

2) The voltage cranked to the max is completely safe and will yield you the highest boost clock possible.

3) The power target allows the gpu to use more power if needed.

4) There is no risk of frying your gpu as the voltage is capped and the max voltage I got for the ROG RX 460 was 1.287v, Survious reported his ROG RX 460 with a max voltage of 1.325v. When increasing the voltage you want to pay attention to the temps but with Asus's DirectCU II cooling you shouldn't have to worry about temps and your gpu should run nice and cool. Max temp is 95c and you shouldn't come close to that, you can set a fan curve in GPU Tweak II if you wish but you shouldn't need to.

Thanks for your reply!

I did a benchmark with max boost clock (1400MHz) and max memory (8160MHz) and it froze with default voltage, but I added +30mV (1180mV total) and it was stable during one benchmark run. Is there any benefit to increasing the voltage further?

I notice that there's a setting called "overclocking range enhancement" -- should I use this to increase the boost clock further than 1400MHz and the memory past 8160MHz? Is that safe to do? Or should I stay away from that setting?

Cheers!

Nate152
You won't need to enable the overclocking range enhancement for the RX 480.

Increase the voltage to the max, this will allow you to overclock the boost clock a little further.

This sounds good so far you catch on fast. 🙂

Nate152 wrote:
You won't need to enable the overclocking range enhancement for the RX 480.

Increase the voltage to the max, this will allow you to overclock the boost clock a little further.

This sounds good so far you catch on fast. 🙂

So I have maxed the voltage (1300mV), the GPU Clock (1400MHz) and the Memory Clock (8160MHz) and set Power Target to 150% and GPU Temp Target to 80. After maxing the voltage I did not see any option to increase the boost clock any further.

I ran a benchmark and GPU temp got up to 77C.

In GPU Tweak 2's monitoring software, I see there is something called Power Temperature which got up to 82c. What is it, and is that acceptable?

In Unigine Valley Benchmark 1.0 in OC mode I scored 42.5 FPS, min 25.3, max 76.2, score 1778. With the overclocked profile I saw little improvement with FPS 42.9, min 25.6, max 77.3, score 1794. Does that seem a little too small a gain?

Appreciate all the help 🙂

Nate152

Nate152 wrote:
Is 1400MHz the highest it will let you go with the Boost Clock?

Correct. Even after changing the voltage to 1300mV, it doesn't let the Boost slider go any further than 1400MHz.

EDIT: Unsure why, but the monitor shows that my GPU Clock doesn't stay at 1400MHz the whole time. Why would this be? Hottest temperature thus far has been 81C.

Nate152
Ok then yes you will need to enable the overclocking range enhancement, sorry for the late reply I'm setting up a new printer.

You can set a fan curve to turn the fans on at a lower temperature to keep your ROG RX 480 cooler, I show how to do this in the ROG RX 460 overclocking guide.

Nate152 wrote:
Ok then yes you will need to enable the overclocking range enhancement, sorry for the late reply I'm setting up a new printer.

No worries! Thank you.

Is there a "limit" to how high I should try on the boost / memory?

Nate152
There is no limit, go as high as you can with both but just do one at a time.

Increase the Boost clock until the driver crashes then back it off a notch or two then do the same with the memory, increase it until you get artifacting or the driver crashes then back it off a notch or two. You can do the memory in increments of 100 then fine tune it if you like.