cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G20BM - GPU dying? Artifacts, Hard freezing, Upgrade options? (Solved)

Jayconius
Level 8
Hello everyone,

I just recently brought a Asus G20BM as Ex-Display and that had only been used 5 times and left in storage and I doubt I can warranty/Repair it.

A10-770k
Radeon R9 200 Series.

It was windows 8.1 when I bought it, but I have an intolerance to Windows 8 and immediately upgrated it to Windows 10 and format after upgrade, so I have no idea if it was working stable on Windows 8.1.

After about 3 minutes of running any Benchmark/Game it will start to create artifacts and the screen will start to flicker and after 2 or 3 minute or so the screen will hard freeze with black and white vertical lines down cross the screen.

I have tried all 4 of the Bios revisions with no luck and used "Display Uninstaller" and installed several AMD drivers with no luck.

I do have a spare EVGA 780ti SC Referance card and a Sapphire HD 7970 Vapor-X, however from what I have read on this forum it does not look I could run either of those cards with the stock power brick, and I didn't find a clear answer if the 230W or the Dell 330W Power Brick would actually run cards.

If anyone has experienced this please share any possible fixes, and any advoice or links to UK power bricks to run either of the two cards above would be much appreciated!

I am hoping a new GPU will fix this, it would be such a shame if the G20 itself was faulty, so I don't mind spending £60 on a PSU to find out.

Also, are there any CPU options available for this machine?

Thanks!

EDIT: Marking this as Solved as it works. 🙂
7 REPLIES 7

Jayconius
Level 8
I installed Windows 7 and downloaded the drivers from their manufacture DL sites and got it 100% installed. It still crashes the same as it does on Windows 10.

Can anyone give some advice on the PSUs and if I can use my 780ti or 7970 with the 230W or 330W Dell PSU?

Update:

I have installed Windows 8.1 and the same issues still exist in all areas.

I've jumped between each Windows several times with no luck.

Is there no one to help? :'(

biobg
Level 7
Jayconius wrote:
Hello everyone,

I just recently brought a Asus G20BM as Ex-Display and that had only been used 5 times and left in storage and I doubt I can warranty/Repair it.

A10-770k
Radeon R9 200 Series.

It was windows 8.1 when I bought it, but I have an intolerance to Windows 8 and immediately upgrated it to Windows 10 and format after upgrade, so I have no idea if it was working stable on Windows 8.1.

After about 3 minutes of running any Benchmark/Game it will start to create artifacts and the screen will start to flicker and after 2 or 3 minute or so the screen will hard freeze with black and white vertical lines down cross the screen.

I have tried all 4 of the Bios revisions with no luck and used "Display Uninstaller" and installed several AMD drivers with no luck.

I do have a spare EVGA 780ti SC Referance card and a Sapphire HD 7970 Vapor-X, however from what I have read on this forum it does not look I could run either of those cards with the stock power brick, and I didn't find a clear answer if the 230W or the Dell 330W Power Brick would actually run cards.

If anyone has experienced this please share any possible fixes, and any advoice or links to UK power bricks to run either of the two cards above would be much appreciated!

I am hoping a new GPU will fix this, it would be such a shame if the G20 itself was faulty, so I don't mind spending £60 on a PSU to find out.

Also, are there any CPU options available for this machine?

Thanks!

Hello there,

Once i was in the same situation as you are at the moment. I had exactly the same model of the G20 and exactly the same problems.... Artefacts, freezing, Colour screens, Gpu driver crashes... Unfortunately after diagnostics with the aid of professionals we concluded that the GPU was completely K.O. i got my money back and i bought G20AJ and it is working as a charm. The AMD R9 250 is an absolute trash ...i dont even know why ASUS use this in their units.. AMD forums are full of enraged customers about this card. As for the power bricks .. yeah absolutely you will have to buy a second brick and both ASUS and DELL will work fine. If you want to keep the PC buy a second power supply and install another GPU .. if not ... i suggest you to return the unit directly and stay away from AMD (buy an Intel G20)
Cheers

Sort if fixed it.. Well, I've fixed to a point where the problem is totally gone, but I'm still going to try warranty it even if the machine's warranty ran out last month.

First I under clocked the GPU from,

925MHz to 900MHz Core
1400MHz to 1375mhz Memory

The crashing has stopped, so I changed the memory back to 1400MHz and the crashing started again, so I change the core back to 925Mhz and the Memory to 1375MHz and the crashing stopped again..

So it seems either these cards are shipped with a stock over clock it can't handle or the Memory in the card is naff.

At any rate, I still want someone to tell me what the best card I can use with the bigger Power Bricks.
As I have a extra 7970 HD and a 780ti Referance card.. I would happily pay the £60 for the 230W or the Dell 330W Power Brick if I could find out what cards I can get.. There are some cheap 750Ti's on eBay going, but still, no one will answer me in that area..

Thanks!

Welsh_Whoopee
Level 11

Welsh Whoopee wrote:
the gtx 1050ti is a great and cheap card

I upgraded it with a EVGA 1050 TI and a MX100 256 SSD.
And getting to the SSD tray was no easy task! especially when doing it without taking the heat sync off! Brute strength and balls of steel, I managed to wedge it open.

I had some Problems with Display Uninstaller hard freezing Windows for some reason so I had to Boot WIndows 10 in to safe mode to remove the AMD stuff with it.
After installing the Drivers it seems to running fine now, I could of lived with the old card and kept the memory underclocked, but it's a pain as the AMD card has a few driver flews anyway...

I found quite a few games don't like AMDs global graphics settings and caused the games to freeze or crash, which was a pain since the card was already crashing, I had to work out if it was the card again or the AMD Driver settings.. and I do want to sell this PC before the end of it's life and none PC tech person wouldn't know how to fix all those problems.. so upgraded the card was for the best, stability and future proofing for a dumb person. 😛

But if someone else has this probem and doesn't want to spend money, try underclocking the memory by 25 increments with MSI Afterburner and make sure you hit the windows icon to start windows with those settings.